PDA

View Full Version : Obama at the MK

Dyanna
01-19-2012, 03:15 PM
Was anyone at WDW today that could let us know how it was with the President at the MK making a commercial about tourism.

Mendelson
01-19-2012, 03:27 PM
Google says he was, yes.

I'm guessing you saw him walking around, thought something had gone horribly, horribly wrong at the HOP, and "they" had come to life?

Ms. Mode
01-19-2012, 04:35 PM
My Dad and sister are there; they said that the masses were being redirected to other parks.

01-19-2012, 04:49 PM
Very disappointed that Disney "corporate" would allow their parks to be used (or abused if you prefer) for campaign purposes, especially during regular park hours.

Nothing but a campaign appearance , plain and simple.

joonyer
01-19-2012, 05:20 PM
Very disappointed that Disney "corporate" would allow their parks to be used (or abused if you prefer) for campaign purposes, especially during regular park hours.

Nothing but a campaign appearance , plain and simple.

Personally, I don't like the decision either, but for Disney Execs, it was a no-brainer. The POTUS requests to come to the Magic Kingdom, and give a speech promoting international tourism, and what is Disney going to do? Turn him down? The negative press would have been merciless.

Yes, you are right, it was nothing more than a campaign appearance (except that the general public was not even in attendance); but the sitting POTUS has always been given special deference when it comes to things of this sort.

And Disney got lots and lots of free international publicity from this event.

Terra
01-19-2012, 06:09 PM
I loved that he was there. I wish I would have known sooner, I would have loved to been there too in hopes of catching just a glimpse!

Hope he had a magical time:mickey:

Kid-Mickee
01-19-2012, 06:16 PM
I am usually a reader and not a poster on this site. I make the exception this once.

SHAME:mad: on Disney!!!!!

The one place in the world that was innocent from the politics of the day, and Disney allows them to bring the rhetoric right into the Magic Kingdom.

I am a long time DVC member, and I can just say, this is a sad day if this is the direction Disney will continue to take into the future.

PopPhan
01-19-2012, 06:25 PM
OK...for all the nay-sayers out there....Orlando, and Walt Disney World in particular, is the vacation capital of the WORLD...What better place to tout opening up travel possibilities for the rest of the world? Would you rather he promote Universal Studios?

Like him or not, promoting tourism is promoting job growth -- more tourists = more need for staffing and small businesses gain from the overflow.

I actually applaud Disney for taking advantage of the "free" publicity!

Carol
01-19-2012, 07:13 PM
I'm closing this here As this subject is already under discussion in the News forum.

Reminder to please keep the topic free of political views. Thanks.