PDA

View Full Version : For those who live in colder climates

WDWCrazyKaren
01-19-2012, 08:30 AM
Like Minnesota, where it is currently 12 degrees BELOW zero this morning...when you pull out your Disney clothes for your trip, do you wash them all first?

We have all of our warmer weather clothes (shorts, capris, golf shirts etc) all boxed up for the winter. Told DH we had to get the clothes out this weekend so I could wash everything, and he looked at me like I was crazy! It was clean when we put them away! Why do we need to wash them?

I just want to think that it's him that doesn't understand, not me being overly OCD about having clean, freshly washed smelling clothes!

Do you all wash everything before you pack up?

Butters
01-19-2012, 08:32 AM
We do not wash them before we pack... we wash them before we put them away for the winter, then store them in rubber maid containers... I've never noticed any musty/dirty smell...

sommer
01-19-2012, 09:08 AM
Well, mine never quite made it to being packed away this fall so, no, I won't be washing them this year. If they were packed away though I would.

Jeri
01-19-2012, 09:31 AM
Well I live in Minnesota as well, and yes, I do wash everything again.

It doesn't matter that it was washed when put away, I need it washed again.
I also do this with dishes. I gave my inlaws some food in my dishes and when they were done she washed them all in her dishwasher before returning them, but I had to rewash them before I could put them away. They aren't dirty people by any means, I am just very weird about that stuff. :blush:

disneymom15
01-19-2012, 09:34 AM
No, I don't rewash our warm weather clothes before we pack.

kakn7294
01-19-2012, 09:36 AM
I don't pack mine or my daughters' clothing away (we wear t-shirts / short sleeves year-round despite cold temps) so ours don't need washing before we go. However, there are some things that DH saves only for trips and those do get washed because they tend to smell like the wood of the dresser drawers and I prefer them to smell like detergent / fabric softener.

BrerGnat
01-19-2012, 10:20 AM
People pack away summer clothes for the winter, and vice versa? Why? Is it due to lack of closet space or something? I've never heard of this. I guess I've been living under a rock all my life, although having lived in CA for over 18 years might have something to do with it. I just assumed people kept all their clothes in drawers and closets year round. Or, maybe you all have WAY more clothes than we do. ;)

In any event, if I had boxed up clothes to "store" and needed to use them, as long as the storage bin was airtight, I'd not wash them. If they smell musty or something, then yeah, wash them. If you are storing them in, like, cardboard boxes, you might want to wash them, as those are not airtight.

MadMadamMim
01-19-2012, 10:27 AM
I'm from PA and I've never packed my clothes away. I guess it's just habit for some people?

ibelieveindisneymagic
01-19-2012, 10:35 AM
We don't re-wash. It is has been stored clean, it gets packed up just as it is.

However, not EVERYTHING gets washed, some always seems to stay in a pile in the basement, so that most certainly gets washed before getting packed for Disney.

WDWCrazyKaren
01-19-2012, 10:39 AM
Well, yeah, we have one of those houses with very little closet space, so we do "rubbermaid" our clothes and change them out with the seasons. That being said, DH has more clothes any any woman I've ever met! And he actually tosses a lot of his stuff every year (but somehow still has more than anyone else in the house). Not sure how that happens. I'm going to have to start taking inventory...

I don't know-I guess I just like the smell of fresh softener. :cloud9:

BrerGnat
01-19-2012, 11:45 AM
I don't know-I guess I just like the smell of fresh softener. :cloud9:

Next time, just throw in a couple dryer sheets before you shut the container. Your stuff will smell all fresh when you open it up! :thumbsup:

Dopey's Girl
01-19-2012, 07:58 PM
I'm in MN too (this cold is no joke. YUCK!) I have to pack stuff away (tiny closet) but I only rewash if something is really wrinkled. I did was the stuff for this trip (this time tomorrow I will be @ POP!) because the room my stuff was stored in became the catch all room during a remodel, and the rubbermaid lid was broken during the chaos. Most years I throw some dryer sheets in and open in spring!

mom2morgan
01-19-2012, 08:04 PM
I don't personally pack away our summer clothes - blessed with enough closet and drawer space; or cursed by not enough clothes, not sure which! - but I can certainly see wanting fresh smelling, freshly washed stuff. If they've been hanging there long enough to be dusty I'd probably wash 'em too.

oh yeah, and I so totally do the "rewash clean dishes" thing!

disneynarula
01-20-2012, 08:33 AM
We live in Europe and have very tiny "wardrobes" I rewash the summer clothes when I pull them out for a change of seaon.

scooterca42
01-20-2012, 10:11 AM
For our friends in warmer climes, yes, most people do have to pack clothes away. It's not necessarily that we have more warm weather clothes than you, but think about it - we need clothes for two totally different climates. Shorts/capris/tanks/ts/sneakers/sandals for summer. Long pants, long underwear, low and high boots, long sleeved shirts, sweaters, sweatshirts and pants, thick socks, jackets and long coats for winter.
So - think about your closets, are they pretty full? Times that by one and a half and that's why.;)
For the question from the OP - We use rubbermaids too, with used dryer sheets on top - used because I put fresh ones in one year and had grease-like stains that wouldn't come out where they'd touched the silk tank top I had on top - but we don't wash before we pack. I wash everything before I box it.

PAYROLL PRINCESS
01-21-2012, 09:45 PM
I pack everything away in rubbermaid containers in the basement and I wash them before wearing them again, whether I'm going to Disney or just because of the season changes. My basement can smell pretty musty!

And I DO have way too many clothes. I have two bureaus full as well as two closets and still have to pack things away for the change of seasons.

mouseketeer mom
01-22-2012, 07:35 AM
I'm in the northeast, and we're leaving for WDW in a week. I took our summer clothes out to pack for our trip, (they were clean when packed away for the winter) and I didn't rewash them, I threw them in the dryer with a wet dryer sheet (or two) for a bit to refresh them. They come out wrinkle free and smelling good! Now they're packed and ready to go!

DisneyDog
01-22-2012, 08:21 PM
I have never put my summer clothes away off-season. I wear short sleeved shirts under my sweaters and hoodie jackets. My shorts stay in their drawers.

FiggyFan
01-24-2012, 08:44 PM
We store clothing in plastic storage containers in our basement. They don't come out smelling very fresh, so they get washed. Dryer sheets sound like a pretty good idea, but would not work for us due to DW's allergies.