PDA

View Full Version : Could I Do This?: Encouragement Needed

White Rose
01-18-2012, 12:23 PM
Hey everyone!

I just got back from a great vacation at WDW and celebrated my 24th birthday while we were there. I've decided, though, since I'm turning 25 next year, I sort of want to do something to mark the occasion. All of my friends from college are going to come down in January of 2013 and we're going to do a 10 day extravaganza of sorts to celebrate my 25th birthday. In order to celebrate, I've decided I really want to run the Half Marathon next January. My only issue? I weight 240 lbs (at 5ft, 2in) and I've never run a day in my life.

Am I crazy for wanting to do this? I figure I need about a year to train and I do want to lose some weight this year. I figure running the marathon would give me a concrete goal to work towards losing the weight. I also have a gym membership, so I have access to tread mills and some equipment.

Basically, I'm looking for some encouragement and some advice on how to begin training. Two of my friends are runners and are also interested in running the half marathon with me next year and have offered to help me. Does anybody else have any tips?

Thanks so much!

clausjo
01-18-2012, 01:00 PM
Don't have any tips, but did want to provide encouragement. Good for you! You should be proud that you've decided to set a goal like that!

Remember that you can do anything you put your mind to. Don't over do it at first and you'll get there!

Keep us posted as to how you're doing or if you just need some extra encouragement!

Good luck! :thumbsup:

MississippiDisneyFreak
01-18-2012, 01:05 PM
If you are otherwise healthy and your doctor clears you, of course you can do it. :mickey:

dnickels
01-18-2012, 01:24 PM
Definitely. With upwards of 50,000 runners involved in Marathon weekend, there are always people with stories like yours who have successfully made the commitment to get in better shape and complete a half or full marathon.

Start small, walking 30 mins each day for a few weeks, then start adding jogging/running for parts of those 30 mins. As you get in better shape add more time and make a greater percentage of that jogging/running. You eventually need to be able to maintain 16 minute miles (really just a steady paced walk) for 13.1 miles.

You've just gotta make the commitment to do it and there's no time like now to start. As I saw on a motivational poster, 'Later is not a day of the week.' I've seen soldiers and marines with no legs complete it (some in chairs, some with prosthetics), so you'll have it easy compared to them. :thumbsup: Best of luck and keep us posted!

Patricia
01-18-2012, 01:50 PM
Do it! Do it!! You can do it!

I had never run and I did the Disneyland half Marathon in 2008.

My story, for anyone interested:

My training was marred by a constant stitch (in my side) I would get after running only a couple of miles. I finally saw a Doctor about 3 weeks before the race and was told I may have a Spigelian hernia. He then went on to tell me I wouldn't be able to do the run. He said I would be unable to finish because of pain and that my training wasn't sufficient enough at this time. Balh, blah, blah.

I told him that the entire trip was planned around my run and I would attempt it anyway if my hernia was not life threatening. He said "Ok, but don't be disappointed if you don't finish." Thanks, Doc.

So, at the Marathon Expo I was chatting up the girls at the Clif booth and telling them my Doctor didn't think I'd finish. They asked my expected finish time and I said I had been hoping to finish under 2.5 hours. They suggested I change that to 3 hours and join their 3 hour pace team, the leader assured me I'd finish with her..it would be a walk/run group and we'd finish at exactly 3 hours.

Getting into the proper corral was another issue. Having never had a time to submit I was placed in the last corral but my Pace team was in "C". The lady checking the Corral numbers wouldn't let me in, she said I'd have to ask a different guy, who told me to go on in and find the group! Woot.

The pace leaders were so entertaining and helpful that I forgot I was running a race.. there was entertainment around every bend, all the park cast members were up early to see us off and encourage us... there were photo opps with all the characters and their parade floats throughout the parks.

As much as I loved my pace leaders, I wanted to finish in less than 3 hours. I thanked them with 1.5 miles left to go and ran it in. Once you are that close the observers start to shout your name and encourage you to keep running. It was so exhilarating and fun I was able to tune out the pain in my side.. Mickey was there to give me a high five as I crossed the finish line.

My time, 2:55.34

MstngDrvnDsnyLvr
01-18-2012, 01:54 PM
Encouragement - you CAN do this. The year of preparation will help you lose the weight you said you wanted to lose. You can set your own pace or figure out what your pace should be and then run that marathon.

BelleBeauty
01-18-2012, 02:03 PM
ENCOURAGEMENT - you should definitely do this. What better than to reward yourself with a run around the best place on Earth! Look into runners groups or something like that near you for moral support. There are lots of website that help you plan a training program and help you track your running/ training. I find tracking things helps me and helps me see how far I've come. Do it!!

disneymom15
01-18-2012, 02:27 PM
I'm with everyone else, GO FOR IT! Try to keep track of your times and distance. They can really be encouraging,:cheer: they tend to help push you to do just alittle bit more:cheer:. Keep us posted on your progress.

Scar
01-18-2012, 02:30 PM
Go to coolrunning and check out the "couch to 5K" program. 5k is 3 miles and a good start.

Ian
01-18-2012, 02:36 PM
You should look into Couch to 5K. It's a great workout program that's meant to get folks who fell off the exercise wagon (like me! :blush:) up off the couch and, in a safe and manageable way, get them ready to run a 5K.

A half marathon may be a big step to tackle in just a year, but hey ... setting a stretch goal is great! :thumbsup:

Melanie
01-18-2012, 03:50 PM
You can do this! I don't think I could ever set the lofty goal of a half marathon (I have something up with my hip), but I did just run/walk my first 5K during Marathon weekend and it was a complete blast. RunDisney events are incredible and perfect for first time runners. I'm now signed up for another local 5K and am doing the Expedition Everest Challenge in May. Never, ever, ever would I have imagined running to the corner, much less miles. Plus, you're half my age and the sky is the limit for you. Good luck! :walk:

sonamae80
01-18-2012, 03:57 PM
You should look into Couch to 5K. It's a great workout program that's meant to get folks who fell off the exercise wagon (like me! :blush:) up off the couch and, in a safe and manageable way, get them ready to run a 5K.

A half marathon may be a big step to tackle in just a year, but hey ... setting a stretch goal is great! :thumbsup:

I agree with Ian! Definitely give the C25K a try! I had never run a day in my life and started the program, did it at my own pace, and in 5 months, I ran my 1st 5K. I was in the same weight range that you are and this program was fantastic! It's rough, I won't lie! But you can do it! And when I crossed the finish line of that 5K, there is no other feeling like it in the world! And to be able to do that in WDW, I can't think of anything much cooler than that! :mickey:

Good for you! You can do it! :mickey:

Melanie
01-18-2012, 04:11 PM
Oh, I will also say the Couch to 5K program is great, and I was following it quite well until my hip just couldn't handle it anymore. I also see a lot of folk associated with Disney events talking about Jeff Galloway and his training program. Seems lots have had success with it.

TinkerbellT421
01-18-2012, 05:05 PM
I have no advice as I am a COUCH potato! lol

But certainly want to send encouraging words! It may sound cliche' but you can do ANYTHING you set your mind to! You will do great! :mickey::thumbsup: Keep us up to date with your progress!!

wickedgin
01-18-2012, 05:37 PM
YOU CAN DO IT! :thumbsup:

TheVBs
01-19-2012, 08:44 AM
Definitely you can do this!! It sounds like you've got great, knowledgeable friends supporting you and wonderful advice from members here. Check in with your doctor so he/she knows your plans and go for it!! :mickey:

murphy1
01-19-2012, 09:13 AM
You can do this! You can do anything you set your mind to. I ran most of my life (track in MS and HS and then after I ran for "fun"). I agree about getting a physical and talking to your dr. before you start. I have switched over to walking as my knees finally told me to stop beating them up. Set realistic goals and stick to them. Also, don't forget strength training too. This will help build up your muscle for endurance. Best of luck and can't wait to hear about your progress! Also, get some great music or audio books so you don't get bored.

White Rose
01-19-2012, 10:42 AM
Wow, thanks for all the encouragement everyone! This is so great to hear. I have looked at the Couch to 5K program and I'm glad to hear it gets such rave reviews. I'm planning on starting next week and I will be sure to keep everyone posted. It's also good to hear I don't have to run the ENTIRE half marathon--that's it's okay to walk too. I'm super nervous about going to the gym because I don't want people laughing at me since I'm a bit bigger and I'll be huffing and puffing on the tread mill and other machines!

Dulcee
01-19-2012, 02:31 PM
I'm super nervous about going to the gym because I don't want people laughing at me since I'm a bit bigger and I'll be huffing and puffing on the tread mill and other machines!

Don't let this stop you from going! Find a gym you're comfortable in. Check out a few.I've found most gyms that I've been a part of are far more supportive then you'd imagine.

BrerGnat
01-19-2012, 02:56 PM
You can do it! Probably. It's a lofty goal, but if you see your doctor, have a complete physical (this is imperative if this is the first time you've embarked on any serious exercise plan), and are cleared to go for it, you can do it! Probably. I don't mean to sound negative, but not everyone is cut out for distance running, and it's a lot harder for women to be successful at it without suffering from hip and knee problems. I am a very fit person. I have been active my entire life. I run at least 3 miles, 5-6 times a week. However, I cannot run a foot over 5 miles at once, without suffering excruciating knee/hip pain. It's just my anatomy, I guess (I have wide hips...not good for running). So, while it's definitely a goal worth going for, my recommendation would be to set a 5K race as your first goal. Once you complete that, and you know how your body reacts to distance running, you can set further goals. My younger sister used to be a marathon runner, until she blew out her knee completely at age 28. She can no longer do distance runs. Honestly, it's not worth it to push your body beyond its natural limits, so always remember to listen to its signals!

Where do you live? Can you possibly do the majority of your training outdoors? Using a treadmill is a lot easier than walking/running on pavement, so you should try to alternate treadmill workouts with actual outdoor walks/runs. I own a treadmill, but every few workouts, I take it outside. I am always wiped out after an outdoor run! At the very least, put the treadmill incline on 1% to simulate running outdoors.

In any event, congratulations for wanting to make a change and get active! That is something to be proud of in itself. :thumbsup:

Good luck and keep us posted on your progress!

PlutoToo
01-19-2012, 06:38 PM
YES. And you're even making me think about getting out there and start running again. We'll have to see what my knees say. Go for it!

azdisneymom
01-19-2012, 09:22 PM
You can do it!! I am much older and just started my own exercise program. Could barely get of bed the first morning. :blush: I started with a walking program from Prevention Magazine. I don't measure by distance, I measure by time, XX minutes out then turn around. My time is increasing as I get more fit.

Just keep the goal in mind and you can achieve anything. It may sound corny but you might try putting a picture of your race up in your bathroom so you can see it every morning with positive words all around it. Take it one day at a time, no excuses. Can't get a full run in? Who cares - go for 15 minutes. Don't ever beat yourself up if you skip or miss for any reason just don't miss 2 days in a row.

You can do this!! What a birthday celebration that will be!

laprana
01-20-2012, 09:54 AM
I don't have any words of wisdom to offer, just lots of encouragement! :thumbsup: I think you should definitely go for it. I've often wished that I could be a runner, but I have no idea how to even get started. You are inspiring me to just go for it! :thumbsup: Best of luck to you in your training over the next year! I can't wait to hear back after you've accomplished your goal!!

badkitty
01-21-2012, 01:51 PM
Good for you! As long as your doctor says it is okay, I would definitely go for it. There are a lot of walkers at the WDW races. As long as you can maintain the required pace, you will be fine. BrerNat's advice of getting in actual road work is great. The pavement at WDW is hard and you spend a lot of the race on the main road to/from the MK. I had a friend who was having joint problems by mile 6 because she had done all of her training on the treadmill.

A piece of advice I'd been given is to allow yourself a day off between workouts. You need that time to recover. I typically run/walk every other day and just walk or ride my bike on the off days.

Here is my story. I hope this encourages you:
I decided last year that I wanted to complete my first 1/2 marathon before I turned 50 and what better way to do it than at WDW? I was 80lbs over weight but I signed up for the 2012 race and started with the couch to 5K program. I then competed in the Halloween 5K at the Animal Kingdom in October. At the expo, I met Jeff and Barbara Galloway. What a thrill! I picked up a couple of his books and started his run-walk-run program to complete a 1/2 marathon. (If you go to the offical RunDisney site you can download the program.) I finished the race using the run-walk-run method! (I also lost weight in the process!) The race was so much fun. Lots of entertainment and characters cheering you on. :D I just signed up for the Disneyland 1/2 marathon in September. Now I'm hooked on Disney races.

Best of luck to you! Please keep us posted on your progress.

garymacd
01-24-2012, 07:32 PM
I have lots of encouragement for you and wish you well. Remember: If you can dream it, you can do it.

I do have one word of warning: Don't kill yourself in the first week! Do it slowly. When you go to the gym, talk to a personal trainer and explain your situation and goals. Personal Trainers are professionals who will understand you and help you set up an individualised program to help you meet your goal. You can work with them to any extent your budget can handle: one initial assessment and program setup, once a week (yeah, I'm extremely wealthy, too) once a month, whatever works for you. Maybe even a couple of times until you get your bearings at the gym and with your workout routine.

They can also help with your new nutritional requirements. Sometimes changing your eating habits is the hardest part of the new regime. When I started mine a few years ago I remember thinking, "There's not enough food on this program. I'm going to be hungry all the time." Nope. A proper nutrition plan (NOT DIET! Diet means to die with tea.) should give you plenty of choices and lots of food. I found myself unable to eat all I had on my plate sometimes. After a month or two, I needed more than was on my plate when I started.

You won't be the first overweight person going to a gym, so don't worry about that. Tune just about everyone else out and stick to your goal. Take your iPod and listen to music as you work out to drown out any distractions. Depending on the gym, many of the people there were probably in a bad situation when they joined and will be nothing but encouraging and helpful. If they are not, ignore them. You are there for YOU, not them!

Another idea is to find a training partner, either in your close circle of friends or new friends at the gym. The hard part of this is to remember to separate the social aspect from the workout. You are there to focus on YOU and your goal, not to decorate the equipment.

You are going to do fine. Read all the posts and check out the Healthy Living 2012 thread that I will start today. Hopefully everyone will start posting their goals and healthy living tips there.

bleukarma
01-27-2012, 11:11 AM
Of course you can do it!!! You can do anything you want to do, as long as you want it bad enough. And in order to run a half marathon you are going to really need to want it. It’s not easy, I won’t lie. Here’s my story:

Last summer I signed up for The Leukemia and Lymphoma Society Team in Training program to run the half marathon at Disney this past January. It is an excellent program that teaches you how to run (which I had no clue how to run properly before I signed up) while you raise funds for Leukemia and Lymphoma Society. I had a training program that I stuck to and had a GREAT coach (who was even on the cover of Runners World magazine!). Unfortunately I just couldn’t raise the amount of money needed for them to send me to the half marathon. But that didn’t stop me, I was determined to do it on my own. I raised a significant amount for charity, which I was proud of, it just wasn’t enough and I didn’t have the finances to pay the rest on my own.

Once November hit things went downhill. I got a sinus infection, then a respiratory infection, and then the flu back-to-back-to-back. I was sick for about 6 weeks straight and fell off the training. I’m just now getting back into running again and I feel like I’m starting my training over from the beginning. However I have my sights set on the Wine and Dine Half in October. Don’t beat yourself up over setbacks, it happens. Honestly when I couldn’t raise the funds and had to drop out of the Team in Training program I got really depressed. That was about 2 weeks before I got sick and I didn’t run because I was mad at myself. Don’t do that to yourself, all that matters is you get back out there!!!

One thing I can recommend is training on pavement instead of treadmill. They are 2 totally different feelings and the WDW marathon is on pavement. It’s better to train on pavement. And cheaper!!!

Also, make sure you get good running shoes from a running store. If you just pick up any old pair of sneakers and start running long distances then you can hurt yourself. These shoes aren’t cheap (my pair is about $130 and I had to replace them halfway through my training) but they are fitted for your foot and running style. This isn’t a splurge, this is something you NEED if you are going to run long distances.

Check out the book The Nonrunner’s Marathon Guide for Woman by Dawn Dias. It is HILARIOUS and is true about what you will go through. It help answer some questions you may have.

If you need anything feel free to PM me. I still have my coach’s emails with tips and tricks that I will be happy to share. It’s a LOT of information that came weekly over months of training, but good to know.

Good luck and get out there!!! :mickey:

ImagiAsh
02-04-2012, 07:10 PM
I'm super nervous about going to the gym because I don't want people laughing at me since I'm a bit bigger and I'll be huffing and puffing on the tread mill and other machines!

Don't be nervous about that at all. Put on some headphones with a few great tunes and stay in the zone working towards your goals. If it is intimidating to you, you can always try for the late evening hours at the gym. The gym by me closes at 11PM. By 9:30 it starts to clear out and it's no longer packed with sweaty body builders. You can just do your own thing and not worry about anybody around you. :thumbsup:

Wolf
02-06-2012, 10:50 AM
Heck no your not crazy!! Good luck I totally believe in you!!! :party:

laprana
02-06-2012, 12:54 PM
Hey everyone!

I just got back from a great vacation at WDW and celebrated my 24th birthday while we were there. I've decided, though, since I'm turning 25 next year, I sort of want to do something to mark the occasion. All of my friends from college are going to come down in January of 2013 and we're going to do a 10 day extravaganza of sorts to celebrate my 25th birthday. In order to celebrate, I've decided I really want to run the Half Marathon next January. My only issue? I weight 240 lbs (at 5ft, 2in) and I've never run a day in my life.

Am I crazy for wanting to do this? I figure I need about a year to train and I do want to lose some weight this year. I figure running the marathon would give me a concrete goal to work towards losing the weight. I also have a gym membership, so I have access to tread mills and some equipment.

Basically, I'm looking for some encouragement and some advice on how to begin training. Two of my friends are runners and are also interested in running the half marathon with me next year and have offered to help me. Does anybody else have any tips?

Thanks so much!

I just wanted to thank you for starting this thread with your post! I was very inspired by it and decided to start running myself. I started the couch to 5K program last week, and actually got through the first week! It wasn't as bad as I thought it would be, either! I am by no means a runner or in great physical shape, so I never thought I would actually be able to run, let alone run a 5K. But I am determined to follow through with the program and hopefully beyond! So I just wanted to give you some encouragement again that you CAN do it! And all your fellow Intercotees will be here cheering you on! :thumbsup:

White Rose
02-10-2012, 12:50 AM
Thanks so much everyone! I've got my food diary and all ready to go, along with a calorie counter to keep track of things. You all are inspiring ME to go for this! :D