PDA

View Full Version : World of Color Question

JabberJaws
01-18-2012, 09:25 AM
Going to DL for a day trip while in San Diego. Want to check out World of Color as it wasn't there last time I was there.

The night we are going to be there, parks close at 8 pm, WoC is shown as starting at 8:15 p.m.

Anyone have any tips for viewing WoC? How early do we need to get there? How long is the show? If we want to do dinner in DTD afterwards, when she would make ADRs for?

Thanks!

BrerGnat
01-18-2012, 11:06 AM
In order to view WoC, you have to obtain a ticket for a "viewing area". This is done via Fast Pass machines located adjacent to Grizzly River Run ride. You go in the morning, and will receive a ticket with your "section" on it. You return to the viewing area about 30-60 min prior to the show (and, be there EARLY, so you can get a good spot). This viewing area is standing only, and there are different sections/tiers. You would want to be in the front of a given section for the best view.

The show runs about 20 min, so if you want to eat dinner following it, I would not make a reservation that is any earlier than 9pm, or eat dinner early, around 5pm.

JabberJaws
01-18-2012, 11:34 AM
Thanks! I have heard it is a great show. Would you say it is a "don't miss" type of thing that we definitely need to make time for while we are there (only there 2 nts, 1-day in the parks), or is it an "if we have time" type thing.

Also, how quickly do these section tickets run out? We will be predominantly doing DL that day, but I did want to pop over to CA for the Little Mermaid ride and for Screamin', though that may not be until the afternoon.

clausjo
01-18-2012, 11:46 AM
We saw WOC for the first time in June and it was amazing! I think it is one of the best Disney shows I've ever seen. Both of the kids were in agreement and we wished we could have seen it more than once.

We did the dinner package where we ate at Ariel's Grotto and received a fastpass for a "preferred viewing area". Even with this preferred area fastpass, we lined up an hour before the show to ensure we got a spot right at the railing. I would highly recommend doing this. The crowds are crazy and it seemed like it was difficult for the CMs to manage the amount of people.

Don't miss the show, however you manage to get there - you won't regret it!

MNNHFLTX
01-18-2012, 01:40 PM
I just saw World of Color on January 7th (8:00 p.m. show). You can either get a preferred-viewing Fastpass for it at the Grizzly River Run Fastpass distribution machines, or by doing one of the meal packages. These can be ordered online up to 60 days in advance on the Disneyland website. The regular meal plans for a sit-down meal is at Wine Country Trattoria or Ariel's Grotto; however, you can also purchase a picnic meal ($14.99) and receive a Fastpass for preferred viewing. This is the package I used. The website will advise to purchase in advance also (usually available 30 days in advance), but I was able to buy one online two days before the show. The meals can be picked up from 11:30 a.m. to 1/2-hour before the show at the Sonoma Terrace in the Golden Valley Winery area.

While Fastpasses by machine distribution may be available for a few hours in the morning, I would suggest getting to Grizzly River Run as early as possible, especially on a day where there is only one show, if that is the route you choose to get a Fastpass.

The preferred viewing is offered in various sections (red, yellow and blue, if I remember correctly). Each section will have "tiers" going up the embankment. The key to getting a good viewing spot is not so much to be right by the water, but to be in the front of whatever tier you choose. They won't let people into the viewing area until 30 minutes before the show, but people will start to line up in droves 60 minutes before the show. If you are in line at least 60 minutes before the show you will most likely be able to snag a spot at the front of a tier. There are no seats or benches to rest on, so this can get a bit tedious--but it's well-worth the effort.

The show itself is amazing! I think everyone should see it at least once. I was located on the third tier up from the waterfront (yellow section) and was glad that I wasn't any closer, as the mist off the water from some of the special effects got the front row people pretty damp. It's impossible to describe all the special effects of water, fire, lasers, etc. You have to see it to believe it.

Just an FYI--after the show, be prepared to for the crush of people trying to exit the park.

Jeff
01-18-2012, 04:48 PM
Thanks! I have heard it is a great show. Would you say it is a "don't miss" type of thing that we definitely need to make time for while we are there .

definitely a "don't miss show! My family would say it is worth the trip itself. Easiest way to get a ticket is to buy one of the Picnic Lunch options. You must order these before hand on-line. As others have said, get a spot at a rail in the front of any tier and your view is fine. Back tiers but at the rail is great!

BrerGnat
01-18-2012, 05:02 PM
Since I know you want to have a meal outside of the parks, I'd just go the FP route. I've done it a few times, and it's nowhere as crazy as it used to be. As long as this isn't on a Saturday night, you should be fine. FP will be available until well into the early afternoon hours. I've never seen them run out, in fact

JabberJaws
01-19-2012, 09:39 AM
Thanks BrerGnat! And the FPs are available at Grizzly River Run, correct?

BrerGnat
01-19-2012, 10:17 AM
Thanks BrerGnat! And the FPs are available at Grizzly River Run, correct?

Yes, you'll see signs as soon as you enter the park pointing the way towards where you go to get WoC fast passes. With the construction the way it has been, path availability changes, but there will be a way to get over there.

2Epcot
01-19-2012, 01:16 PM
Going to DL for a day trip while in San Diego. Want to check out World of Color as it wasn't there last time I was there.

Anyone have any tips for viewing WoC? How early do we need to get there? How long is the show? If we want to do dinner in DTD afterwards, when she would make ADRs for?

Thanks!

I'm not sure when your trip will be, but two things you should be aware of. They are currently redoing part of the walkway in front of the Little Mermaid attraction. Due to this work, the viewing area for World of Color has been reduced. I'm not sure how long this will take, but I've heard several weeks.

Also, from Jan. 23 – March 2, 2012: Grizzly River Run will be closed for refurbishment.

Crow
02-22-2012, 06:23 PM
get fastpass early, u can always walk back to DL as its right across the way from CA.
be prepared to stand and hr or so, and b in a crowd. its sorta like Fantasmic w water screens and a crowd scene leaving, but no seats.
I thought it was pretty good. they did let people leave the park on the way out via an exit towards DD rather than having to go all the way to exit gate. or u could go out thru the Grand Californian.

disneynarula
03-03-2012, 04:03 AM
It's well worth the wait in line! We did the dinner package and I wish we would have just grabbed a FP instead. It does not save you anything except having to get a FP in the morning. You still have to wait in line to get a good spot.