PDA

View Full Version : Here we go again . . .

Janmac
01-17-2012, 09:52 AM
This is so far the weirdest winter weather I can remember. I'm not complaining - merely reporting. I remember last winter when so many had so much snow, and were worried about their roofs, etc.

Yesterday we had 61 degrees and sunshine. Tonight we are to have lows of around 16 degrees, with wind chills probably in the single digits.

Same as last week, when Wednesday was almost 60 and Thursday evening's windchills were in the single digits.

For January we normally expect some snow, temps in the 30s maybe 40s during a warm spell. We're not complaining but we are beginning to wonder about the soil moisture for our gardens in a few months.

How's your weather this winter?

Jan

princessgirls
01-17-2012, 10:02 AM
Here in Northern NJ, we had the wettest 2011 on record. It was a horrible year for weather. The winter was never ending, followed by epic rain in March, which lead to bad flooding. The rains continued...we had a good July, but that was it! August was the wettest after Hurricane Irene blew through and left epic and devastating flooding...then a week later in early September we got the remains of tropical storm Lee...people flooded again, and this one was worse.
We had a freak October snow storm that was a nightmare, as a foot of wet heavy snow fell on trees that hadn't lost their leaves. The weight was too much for the trees, and they came down all over, causing massive power outages. Some in my area for out for over a week. School was closed for 2 days.
That was the last we've seen of significant snow in my area. The weather has remained mostly mild, with a few scattered cold days mixed in. The cold has been random. It was bitter cold for 2 days, and the temperature warmed up enough so we got a rain instead of snow event. Strange....
I'm not complaining. Last year's winter was brutal. Exhausting, storm after storm constant clean up. Not missing that!!!
Hoping 2012 brings more warm sunshine!
Julie:mickey:

Auntie B
01-17-2012, 10:32 AM
Howdy from the middle of Nebraska! It has been warmer than normal here - average in the 40's! We have also had MUCH less precipitation. I believe it is supposed to be in the 50's this weekend. While I do love the warmer weather, the lack of precip is a concern. We could really use some rain or snow!

BrerGnat
01-17-2012, 10:37 AM
Well, I can't speak to "normal", since I only moved here 6 months ago, but exactly a week ago, we were supposed to have "rain, highs in the upper 40's" and we ended up getting 3" of snow! The DAY before that, it was sunny and 65 degrees.

Today, same forecast, but this time it's actually accurate. It's raining and chilly, but not too bad.

I actually want MORE snow. I was sort of expecting some when we left Southern CA...:)

MississippiDisneyFreak
01-17-2012, 10:41 AM
Hi s in 70s one day, lows in 20s a couple of days later, we stay sick it seems too.:ill:

NewDVCowner
01-17-2012, 12:30 PM
We've had a REALLY dry winter this year in Northern California. We haven't had rain here since October and are about 10% of normal for this time of year. They're saying that we should get some rain by this weekend but we really do need it. This week the highs have been in the 50s, lows down into the 20's. Last week we had highs around 70.

Wildfires are often a problem out here - in October. They're saying that we're in danger of wildfires NOW, which is just unheard of for this time of year.

DVC2004
01-17-2012, 05:03 PM
We're up here in northern IL, near Wisconsin actually and it's been warmer than usual. Upper 50's into last week. Last Thurs I think we got about 5-6 inches of snow. Yesterday, it was 40 degrees and the snow started to melt. There was an ice dam that caused my ceiling to leak. This morning, it was snowing again.

I will take the 40's and 50 s with zero to little snow! The last 3 winters here have been brutal with lots of snow, and occasionally ice.

I am just hoping for good weather four our flight on 2/1 so I can make it out of town!

missouridisney
01-18-2012, 03:25 PM
When I read your post I figured it had to be a fellow Missourian since the weather you described was exactly like ours (Howard County, MO.) It has been great though, I look it as one warm day is one less cold we have and 1 day closer to spring. I HATE COLD. Heading to warm Fla. weather and WDW in 2 weeks.:yay:

Disney4us2
01-18-2012, 10:09 PM
It's been in the 70's and 80's here until last week when we dipped into the high 60's. We are forcasted to get rain this weekend.

MstngDrvnDsnyLvr
01-18-2012, 10:50 PM
For us in Eastern NC - it is the normal Yo-Yo winter weather - one week we have lows in the 20s and the next week we don't below 55.

murphy1
01-19-2012, 09:16 AM
Count us here in Atlanta area weird too, we have had some rain and the sunny days, bouncing around from 20s to 70s the last couple months. A year ago, we had this insane snow/ice storm that stopped the city for 4 days.