PDA

View Full Version : Going Home for the Holidays Day 3

buzznwoodysmom
01-16-2012, 04:01 PM
Day 3

Wednesday, December 22

Today was a day off from the parks. The boys and I slept in a bit while DH had a massage. He said this one was just OK, but still enjoyable. The boys and I actually took our time getting up and dressed. We decided to throw some laundry in the wash and spend the day at the pool. We had plans to take a boat out, or play mini golf, or go to the fork and screen theater today, but hanging by the pool won out hands down.

DH made it back to the room just as we were getting ready to head out. The boys and I hung out in “our living room”, doing postcards while DH showered. We all headed to the laundry room, threw some clothes in, and then made our way to Roaring Forks. We took lunch to the pool, and spent the rest of the day there. The boys played some of the games going on at the pool party, they played football in the sand, swam, and just enjoying the free day.

When we went up to the room to get dressed for dinner the boys were begging for an “early Christmas gift”. So we allowed them to each pick a gift under the tree and allowed them to open it. We got ready for dinner and were headed out way ahead of time. We took the boat over to the Contemporary, and then hopped the monorail. We spent time at each of the monorail resorts shopping and taking in the decorations. We spent tons of time at the GF. Everyone says this resort seems stuffy, but we actually love it there. It’s so quiet and calm when compared to the other monorail resorts. Mickey and Minnie were in the lobby in their Victorian Christmas clothes taking pictures with guests. I racked up on bath bombs at the Basin store, and then we made our way back to the Contemporary for our dinner at Cali Grill.

I wanted to note that WL had characters in the lobby almost every night. It may have been every night; we just weren’t in the lobby at that time every night. I don’t remember all who we saw, but I do remember seeing Pluto and Goofy for sure.

We checked in at the Contemporary and were taken up in the elevator. The boys weren’t with us the first time we dined here, but they thought it was way cool to take a “special” elevator up. They thought they were special or something. LOL. We ordered adult beverages, and some kiddie drinks, from the bar and our buzzer was going off before we could even get our drinks. The boys and I were seated while DH settled our bill at the bar. We had a great table with a clear view of the castle. We ordered the Dragon roll sushi platter, which turned out to be the best sushi ever. We also ordered the goat cheese ravioli appetizer. I got the oak fired fillet, DH had the bison, and both boys had the kid’s steak. Everything was amazing. We ordered a chocolate cake dessert. I don’t remember the name of it, but it came with the cake, a wonderful ice cream, and something else, but I don’t remember what it was. The boys ordered the sushi dessert. We settled the bill and were out on the balcony just in time for the castle show. We could actually see most of it from the Contemporary. We couldn’t see the pictures, but we could see the rocket launch, and many of the other cool effects. We stayed through Wishes then took the boat back to WL. The boys ran up to the room for swim suites and took a late night dip in the pool and hot tub before we called it a night.

All in all a very relaxing day off from the parks. Like I said in my report from yesterday, my family seems to enjoy these days more than park days!

MizMissy
01-16-2012, 05:02 PM
We love California Grill. I agree, their sushi is outstanding.
And, I love swimming in December! That's great that you had pool weather on your Christmas vacation.

faline
01-16-2012, 05:42 PM
Sounds like you had a very yummy dinner at California Grill! What a lovely, relaxed day you had!

By the way, I really like that spot you call your "living room" as well! Have found it quite a relaxed place to hang out!

wildernesslady
01-16-2012, 07:41 PM
You had the perfect Disney day. Waking up at the WL and dinner at the Cali Grill.

mouseketeer mom
01-16-2012, 08:24 PM
This is a great day!!!:thumbsup:

MississippiDisneyFreak
01-17-2012, 09:36 AM
Thanks for the report sounds great

tinkerbell04
01-17-2012, 12:22 PM
Last summer we did four nights at the Boarwalk and never did a park. We did Deluxe dining and just took advantage of all of the resort and out of park activities. My daughter said it was one of her favorite trips. As much as I could do the parks every day....I think sometimes she gets bored with them. A little too young to appreciate all of the little things :mickey:

yjgirl32
01-19-2012, 09:00 AM
Our last trip was the first time we did a relaxing day and we all enjoyed it very much. That had been our 4th trip to Disney and we went at a much more relaxing pace. Thanks for sharing.

brivers222
01-20-2012, 02:29 PM
I will echo everyone else saying what a relaxing day!

We also loved the CG!! perfect sights and food!

Now i have a question, i am assuming you have a studio room right as you said you had to go to the laundry rooms.

How does that work if they aren't in your room. Like you can put a load in an walk away from it while its "doing its thing" and come back and they will still be there? if so that is awesome disney magic. I wouldn't leave my laundry out of sight for any length of time. Which is why i have shy'd away from studios

buzznwoodysmom
01-20-2012, 02:52 PM
Now i have a question, i am assuming you have a studio room right as you said you had to go to the laundry rooms.

How does that work if they aren't in your room. Like you can put a load in an walk away from it while its "doing its thing" and come back and they will still be there? if so that is awesome disney magic. I wouldn't leave my laundry out of sight for any length of time. Which is why i have shy'd away from studios

No we were actually in a regular room in the lodge, not DVC. There is a nice little laundry room not far from Roaring Forks.

We put the laundry going, hung out at the pool. I went switch the laundry to the dryer, back to the pool. Then when it was done DH and I gathered our stuff, folded everything and I brought it all back up to the room. We definitely did not sit in the laundry room watching our things.

I try not to have to do laundry on vacation, just because I'M ON VACATION! LOL. However, sometimes we run out of what we need and I have to. On this trip it was way warmer than I was thinking it would be. I had packed a little bit of everything just incase it was warmer, or colder, than we were anticipating. Well..we ran out of warm weather clothes, so I had to do laundry.

Anyway, I have done laundry at WL, CBR, CSR, BC and Vero Beach on past trips. I've left the laundry each time and I've never had anything go missing. My thought is that if someone feels the need to go through, and take any of our clothes then they must need it more than we do. There are usually several machines going, or full of clothes and no one in the laundry room so it appears that most people just put it in and go. I don't really worry about our clothes being stolen out of the laundry room in WDW, and there is nothing I am washing that I absolutely can't live without.

brivers222
01-20-2012, 02:54 PM
that is good to know!!!

vizsla
01-22-2012, 06:49 AM
Thanks for the report.

Bethis26fan
02-14-2012, 07:13 PM
We say we are going to have a down day but never do. One day we will.

Suz36
02-17-2012, 10:17 PM
Cali Grill sounds wonderful - I've added it to my to-do list! And what a long list it's becoming!!!