View Full Version : Downton Abbey - Season 2

Melanie
01-15-2012, 09:50 AM
So glad it's back for season 2. Anyone else watch this great show?

I had really wanted to rewatch season 1 before I watched the season 2 premiere from last Sunday, but I couldn't resist going ahead with season 2.

I love, love Brendon Coyle (he's great in everything I've seen him in, particularly North & South) and love Mr. Bates. Seems his road with Anna will not be an easy one, being that his wife is back. Man, she seems like an evil one, played by Maria Doyle Kennedy, who was great in The Tudors.

Just wanted to see if there is any interest from INTERCOTees on this show. I'd love to discuss. :thumbsup:

TheDuckRocks
01-15-2012, 10:18 AM
Yes, we have been watching Downton Abbey and love it. In a hurry to get out of the house right now will comment later.

SBETigg
01-15-2012, 10:23 AM
All my friends were raving about this. I had to try it. Love it! I went right through season one to get all caught up. It's so well done.

Melanie
01-15-2012, 10:32 AM
All my friends were raving about this. I had to try it. Love it! I went right through season one to get all caught up. It's so well done.

That was quick Sherri! Glad you got hold of it. Isn't it well done? All the acting, sets, costumes, etc. are top notch.

Anxious to hear your thoughts Kay. :)

PirateLover
01-15-2012, 11:48 AM
You know, I never even heard of it during the first season. Now, all of the sudden, I am seeing rave reviews everywhere over the excitement of Season 2! It certainly looks like something I'd enjoy, but I don't think I'll have time to go back and catch up for a while. I really don't like jumping into things without seeing prior seasons.

Melanie
01-15-2012, 11:55 AM
You know, I never even heard of it during the first season. Now, all of the sudden, I am seeing rave reviews everywhere over the excitement of Season 2! It certainly looks like something I'd enjoy, but I don't think I'll have time to go back and catch up for a while. I really don't like jumping into things without seeing prior seasons.

Yeah, definitely not one to just jump into. I was even wondering about some things in the first season 2 ep (which I why I had wanted to watch season 1 again).

That said, the first season is only 7 episodes. It's not a HUGE time commitment.

TysMomTink
01-15-2012, 03:21 PM
It's a really great show. Love it!

AgentC
01-15-2012, 06:39 PM
I am looking forward to tonight;s episode. I just started watching and spent the week before season 2 catching up on season 1.

My favorite stories are definitely Mr. Bates & Anna and Mary & Matthew. I do hope we see more of Sybil tonight. I was really interested in her story line but she has become so drab now that she is a nurse.

TheDuckRocks
01-16-2012, 12:34 PM
Hooray!! They won a Golden Globe last night. So well deserved.
It was last year's Golden Globes show that brought this gem to our attention. I promptly put it on my Netflix list and we were so happy I did.
Oddly seeing this series also had me sending for the new Upstairs Downstairs and the Tudors, which in turn had me sending for the Elizabeth the First films with Cate Banchette (sp) and Helen Marren (oh, that's wrong too). Interesting how woefully lacking is my education in most everything to do with British history. What a shame. It is so full of lies and deceit, blood and guts and love stories, just what every teenager would love to learn about.
Off the track there - back to Downton Abbey. I just love the love story of Anna and Mr. Bates, the care of the cook by her employers and Maggie Smith at her snotty best but with her soft side at the rose competition. The costumes and the overall production is amazing. Characters to love and hate. This series truely has it all.

murphy1
01-16-2012, 02:04 PM
I need to watch this one!! I saw they won a Golden Globe and I felt so bad b/c I think Elizabeth McGovern fell walking up the steps to the stage.

MNNHFLTX
01-16-2012, 06:14 PM
I've been looking forward to Season 2 also--glad I remembered to record it before I went on my trip!

SBETigg
01-16-2012, 06:51 PM
OH, I just caught the first show of season 2. So good! Love Maggie Smith. And Anna and Bates. Will be interesting to see how the war affects everyone.

I also watch Game of Thrones and thought it interesting that the actor who portrays Jorah Mormont showed up in Downton Abbey as Sir Richard Carlisle. Also, Edith! What was she thinking? Tsk tsk.

PirateLover
01-20-2012, 06:26 AM
Yeah, definitely not one to just jump into. I was even wondering about some things in the first season 2 ep (which I why I had wanted to watch season 1 again).

That said, the first season is only 7 episodes. It's not a HUGE time commitment.

Had insomnia last night and found season 1 on Netflix streaming. So far I've watched the first 2 episodes and I'm hooked!

Melanie
01-20-2012, 08:28 AM
Had insomnia last night and found season 1 on Netflix streaming. So far I've watched the first 2 episodes and I'm hooked!

:yay:

So, :spoiler: for Season 2, Ep 2 - I really wanted to dislike Lavinia. Really, really, really wanted to dislike her. But I don't. And thus it will be more difficult to see her get hurt. LOL! I sure hope Matthew and Mary get together, and boy will it be good when they do.

I'm definitely finding time to rewatch Season 1 this weekend.

PirateLover
01-21-2012, 10:32 AM
Well, thanks to a nasty sinus infection I've not been able to do anything but lay down and watch TV. Thanks to PBS streaming the season 2 episodes, I am now officially all caught up! WHEW what a whirlwind to watch them all in a row!!!!!!!

badkitty
01-21-2012, 01:20 PM
I absolutely love this show. Season 2 Episode 3 airs tomorrow night! :wait: I can't wait!

Melanie
01-23-2012, 08:15 AM
It's confusing because PBS aired episodes 1 and 2 together, but it was actually episode 4 that aired last night.

So the mean O'Brien and Thomas are re-emerging. Hate them! I was actually a bit shocked to see Matthew and William waltz into the concert like that. I thought they'd play out the missing storyline a little longer. Matthew and Mary's duet was so cute though. :heart:

SBETigg
01-23-2012, 03:32 PM
I agree on Lavinia, Melanie. And O'Brien and Thomas, errg. But I guess we have to have some good villains. I haven't seen the new one yet but I have been a bit surprised at Edith with her farm helping. What was she thinking?

PirateLover
01-23-2012, 10:39 PM
I just have a bad feeling about how the whole Matthew/Lavinia Mary/Sir Richard scenario is going to play out. I don't think we'll get the outcome we want, but who knows! The little show for the troops and having William and Matthew pop in was great.

Melanie
01-24-2012, 07:51 AM
I just have a bad feeling about how the whole Matthew/Lavinia Mary/Sir Richard scenario is going to play out. I don't think we'll get the outcome we want, but who knows!

I hope you aren't right, but I definitely think it's going to get bad. Next week's previews look like someone (Carson maybe) is waving a newspaper at Lord Grantham. I think Vera is going through with her threat. Man, she's evil.

SBETigg
01-24-2012, 10:12 AM
I hope you aren't right, but I definitely think it's going to get bad. Next week's previews look like someone (Carson maybe) is waving a newspaper at Lord Grantham. I think Vera is going through with her threat. Man, she's evil.

Yes, I just caught up again. But we know who can make a bad story go away, as long as he gets what he wants. Drat! This doesn't bode well.

PirateLover
01-24-2012, 03:01 PM
Yes, I just caught up again. But we know who can make a bad story go away, as long as he gets what he wants. Drat! This doesn't bode well.

And wasn't he (Sir Richard) also having a meeting with Mary in the preview? Saying something about "Who would've thought it, the cold and careful Lady Mary Crawley..." :unsure:

Melanie
01-30-2012, 07:49 AM
Super depressing episode. :sob:

And now Mary is trapped/endebted to Sir Richard, just as you predicted Sherri. :(

SBETigg
01-30-2012, 01:13 PM
Super depressing episode. :sob:

And now Mary is trapped/endebted to Sir Richard, just as you predicted Sherri. :(

I hate when I'm right. I hoped for just a minute there that I was wrong. Especially since he is taking such pleasure in her degradation. Ew. I think she might save herself yet. But yeah, this one was a downer, a bit of a tearjerker, too.

But still some great lines from the Dowager Countess.

Melanie
01-30-2012, 05:51 PM
But still some great lines from the Dowager Countess.

Always!

So what do you guys think of the casting of Shirley McClaine as Lady Grantham's mother? I love her, but have a hard time seeing past Ouiser when I see her in anything. I do think she can pull this off though.

PirateLover
01-30-2012, 06:09 PM
Funny, I was actually thinking that now I've CHANGED my opinion and I DO think Matthew and Mary will get together, now that he's "freed" Lavinia. It won't be an easy path for Mary and based on the preview, I would bet that Sir Richard releases the story if she cuts off the engagement, but I think they will end up together eventually. But who knows! One thing I LOVE about this series is how fast it moves.

SBETigg
01-30-2012, 09:00 PM
Always!

So what do you guys think of the casting of Shirley McClaine as Lady Grantham's mother? I love her, but have a hard time seeing past Ouiser when I see her in anything. I do think she can pull this off though.

I think she can definitely do it. I really don't associate her with any one previous role. She has done so many different things. I do think of her personal life, or lives I should say. :D But it should be good.

Maryanne, yes, it could eventually work out our way.

TheDuckRocks
02-03-2012, 11:08 AM
Wow, that was certainly a Downton downer!
Although I did love the parts where the Dowager Countess stood up and got William home and wed. Can't wait to see the interaction between Shirley McClaine's and Maggie Smith's characters. You just know it's going to be a bit prickly.

MNNHFLTX
02-03-2012, 06:43 PM
I think it should be very interesting to watch. My first thought was that she would have to rein herself in a bit as an actress, but then again, she will be the (another) foil to the Dowager Countess, so she can't rein it in too much! I wonder if she will have the red hair in this role? Lol--I know that's a silly to speculate, but Cora has such dark hair, it would be a strange contrast for a mother/daughter.

Melanie
02-06-2012, 04:26 PM
I think they are filming, or getting ready to start filming, season 3, so maybe a pic of Shirley McClaine in character will leak soon.

So what do you think of Patrick? True?

And Vera dead? Wow.

Lots of twists last night!

AgentC
02-06-2012, 04:54 PM
I think they are filming, or getting ready to start filming, season 3, so maybe a pic of Shirley McClaine in character will leak soon.

So what do you think of Patrick? True?

And Vera dead? Wow.

Lots of twists last night!

I'm really torn on Patrick. On the one hand, he left so you would think he is a fake. On the other hand, when he made a cross over his lips, Lord Grantham questioned it which make me wonder if that was something Patrick had done. Then again, he could have seen Patrick do it. :confused:

I think Vera being dead is setting up Bates to be accused of murder since he was wishing she was dead.

All in all a great episode and it looks like we are getting back to Lady Sibyl's romance next week.

Melanie
02-06-2012, 05:18 PM
All in all a great episode and it looks like we are getting back to Lady Sibyl's romance next week.

I'm still not sure whether I like him or not, but he's definitely a looker. :yes:

OH, and what about the new maid? I'm thinking she's got a thing for Lord Grantham or something. I sure hope not, but it sure seems like it.

SBETigg
02-06-2012, 05:23 PM
I'm still not sure whether I like him or not, but he's definitely a looker. :yes:

OH, and what about the new maid? I'm thinking she's got a thing for Lord Grantham or something. I sure hope not, but it sure seems like it.

It didn't occur to me that she had a thing for Lord Grantham, but I'm going to be watching for it now. I thought maybe she was just going to use the connection for what she could.

I don't know, Patrick seemed like a fake to me. But then I was wondering. I think this story might come back. Sir Richard is really creeping me out now though. She can't marry him. She can't! And it won't be smooth sailing for Bates, yes, thinking some accusations are coming.

Melanie
02-06-2012, 05:49 PM
It didn't occur to me that she had a thing for Lord Grantham, but I'm going to be watching for it now. I thought maybe she was just going to use the connection for what she could.

I thought so as well the first scene where they were discussing her son getting a scholarship. But the second scene they were in where he walked out of the room, she just stood there staring at him walking away and I just got a weird feeling. Not sure....

PirateLover
02-06-2012, 06:29 PM
I totally agree with you Mel about that maid. I don't like where that storyline is headed. They wouldn't give her so much "alone" time with Lord Grantham if they weren't developing something... ugh.

I don't think Patrick was really Patrick. Can't be sure, but the way the actor reacted when Edith mentioned Peter seemed shocked/nervous that they were on that trail. Maybe that's how they wanted it, so we'd be confused as viewers!

Matthew didn't seem to be thrilled at all about Lavinia. And how about when Bates was pushing him, he said he "felt" something??? More and more I'm leaning towards Matthew and Mary finally getting together, if he is able to overcome her story that Sir Richard is sure to release once he is "jilted."

About Bates, I hope he didn't have anything to do with Vera's death, although I think they want us to question that with Lord G. telling him not to lose his temper and then his returning with that cut on his forehead.

Did anyone catch the parody they did of Downton Abbey on Saturday Night Live? Gave me a few chuckles. They used actual clips from the show but did a voiceover for it as if it were a show on the SPIKE network. The funniest part was probably how they mentioned that people are always overhearing things they shouldn't... and then it happened again in last night's episode! Lol.

SBETigg
02-06-2012, 09:02 PM
Did anyone catch the parody they did of Downton Abbey on Saturday Night Live? Gave me a few chuckles. They used actual clips from the show but did a voiceover for it as if it were a show on the SPIKE network. The funniest part was probably how they mentioned that people are always overhearing things they shouldn't... and then it happened again in last night's episode! Lol.

So funny! I loved that.

BriarRose0708
02-07-2012, 10:42 AM
Another Downton fan here! I can't believe I haven't seen this thread before! I am a fan of Masterpiece and watched season 1 when it aired last year and I had no one to talk to about it because it hadn't caught fire yet. So glad you're all here to discuss season 2!!!

SPOILER!
I just watched Sunday's episode last night. Patrick? Really? I was torn between if it was really him or an imposter. I feel like if it was an imposter set upon inheriting the money he would have stayed and done everything he could to convince them he's the real Patrick. Why leave when all that money is at stake? And poor Edith gets her heart broken again. I do like the possibility of him coming back...

Dowager Countess had some great moments as usual, I loved when she was manipulating Isobel to find another cause so that Downton can go back as a private residence.

I love, love, love Mr. Bates and although I did rejoyce inside when Vera died I think O'Brien actually had something to do with it. Just the way she was listening to Bates tell Anna he's not divorced after all and the fact she feels super guilty for 1) making Cora miscarry and 2) and writing to Vera earlier in the season and is now trying to protect Lady Grantham's reputation. But, Bates will probably get fingered for it anyway.

I'm not sure how I feel about Sybil and Branson, but looks like we'll find out what happens with them next week! With the end of the war came the end of the British class system as they had known it and Sybil being the political rebel of the bunch I wouldn't be surprised if she runs away with him. Wouldn't be the first scandal for the Crawleys! Although the Earl doesn't know about the Turk yet...

There's got to be some juicy plot line back story for Jane and Lord Grantham. Like he's actually the father of her child or something. Maybe he had a drunken fling with her twelve years before and doesn't remember her. But that would make her son the heir! I don't know if that's true but leave it to Downton to come up with something crazy like that!

Can't wait to discuss what happens next week!

SBETigg
02-07-2012, 11:28 AM
Another

SPOILER!
I just watched Sunday's episode last night. Patrick? Really? I was torn between if it was really him or an imposter. I feel like if it was an imposter set upon inheriting the money he would have stayed and done everything he could to convince them he's the real Patrick. Why leave when all that money is at stake? And poor Edith gets her heart broken again. I do like the possibility of him coming back...

I think that's exactly why the real one would have stayed, to do everything he could to reclaim his family and his place. The impostor would face criminal charges if they found out while he was still there, and he knew they were getting close by looking into Peter Gordon. Avoiding jail time is a very good reason to leave with the money at stake. But the real Patrick? Would he have given up so easily? I'm not sure, but I think he was hoping it would be much easier. Edith is an easy mark.

AgentC
02-07-2012, 01:50 PM
I think that's exactly why the real one would have stayed, to do everything he could to reclaim his family and his place. The impostor would face criminal charges if they found out while he was still there, and he knew they were getting close by looking into Peter Gordon. Avoiding jail time is a very good reason to leave with the money at stake. But the real Patrick? Would he have given up so easily? I'm not sure, but I think he was hoping it would be much easier. Edith is an easy mark.

I thought so too Sherri and they certainly left it ambiguous with the "P Gordon" on the letter.

Though I suppose if you had almost drown in the Titanic, lost your memory, and then been horrifically burned, your reactions might not be normal.

I'm back to being indecisive. :)

BriarRose0708
02-07-2012, 03:54 PM

I don't know, it could have gone either way. I also question his accent. When his memories supposedly came back wouldn't his accent come back with them? There are lots of forms of amnesia and aphasia but it would seem to me you'd regress to your inbred accent. Any speech language pathologists out there that would know?

MNNHFLTX
02-07-2012, 06:13 PM
I don't know, it could have gone either way. I also question his accent. When his memories supposedly came back wouldn't his accent come back with them? There are lots of forms of amnesia and aphasia but it would seem to me you'd regress to your inbred accent. Any speech language pathologists out there that would know?
My thoughts exactly! It just doesn't ring true, although I almost hope it is. It would be wonderful to see Edith find love and with the heir to boot! Just seems so strange they brought him into the story and then had him slink right off again. :/

I really hope that Lord Grantham gets his head together about Jane. It's just too obvious where they are leading this story line. My worst nightmare would be that she gets pregnant with the male heir. Ugh--hope that doesn't happen!

Melanie
02-13-2012, 08:17 AM
WOW. What a finale. I had forgotten we got two episodes last night, and now only the Christmas episode is left. So if last night ended in April, I guess we're fast forwarding 8 months.

I hate the Jane storyline, and if nothing else ever comes from it, it's the first storyline I really question from the writers. Every scene between Jane and Robert felt really awkward to me. Cringe worthy.

Can not wait for the last episode.

AgentC
02-13-2012, 10:45 AM
I was so excited for a two hour episode until I realized that meant the season was almost over. :(

I don't want to be spoilery so early in the day so I won't comment on most of the story lines but I agree with you, Mel on the Jane story.

I think the intention was to show how out of place Lord Grantham felt with the changing world and how the changes are affecting his family and perhaps give him a bit of a midlife crisis. But I felt it was so out of character for him that it felt false. And the resolution was just to convenient.

badkitty
02-13-2012, 01:33 PM
Have you seen the gentleman playing Lord Grantham in anything else? Hugh Bonneville can play a rather creepy fellow. Check him out in Mansfield Park (1999) and Daniel Deronda (2002). You can stream both on NetFlix.

SBETigg
02-13-2012, 01:49 PM
I have a lot of mixed feelings on that episode. And it seems like so much happened that didn't have a chance to fully develop, just stuff being thrown at us. And yes, cringe worthy sometimes. I really can't believe I didn't see that Jane storyline coming when the rest of you did. I think I had too much faith in Lord Grantham. And Mary almost lost me a few times. Matthew brings out her best. I'm afraid if she spends much more time with Sir Richard, she will be beyond hope. And Anna and Bates! Good thing we already know there's a Season Three coming.

Melanie
02-13-2012, 05:27 PM
Have you seen the gentleman playing Lord Grantham in anything else? Hugh Bonneville can play a rather creepy fellow. Check him out in Mansfield Park (1999) and Daniel Deronda (2002). You can stream both on NetFlix.

Yes, I actually own both of these, and I agree. He's a great actor though. Remember him in Notting Hill?

BriarRose0708
02-14-2012, 11:22 AM
That was certainly a lot to take in! I hated the Grantham-Jane thing and I'm glad she's gone. AgentC I agree with you it was used as a mechanism to show how lost Robert felt during the war and Cora admitting to him she probably got caught up and neglected him too much.

Mary really disappoints me. Just when I begin to warm to her and she shows compassion or understanding, her snobbery and coldness comes right back out. She was like that before Sir Richard entered the picture and I think he just makes it worse.

Really looking forward to the Christmas special! I'm hosting my friends over for tea while we watch it, lol.

SBETigg
02-14-2012, 12:59 PM
That was certainly a lot to take in! I hated the Grantham-Jane thing and I'm glad she's gone. AgentC I agree with you it was used as a mechanism to show how lost Robert felt during the war and Cora admitting to him she probably got caught up and neglected him too much.

Mary really disappoints me. Just when I begin to warm to her and she shows compassion or understanding, her snobbery and coldness comes right back out. She was like that before Sir Richard entered the picture and I think he just makes it worse.

Really looking forward to the Christmas special! I'm hosting my friends over for tea while we watch it, lol.

Cora finding other interests doesn't exactly make her neglectful or excuse his coming on to the maid. I hate that she had to apologize. But it is in keeping with her time period, and let's face it, she had some very unkind moments over the past few shows. But still, no excuse for Lord Grantham. Man up! :)

And I totally agree about Mary. I think the conversation between Mrs. Hughes and Carson on the subject of Mary summed her up nicely, with Mrs. Hughes thinking Mary a bit of a selfish minx and Carson defending that she wasn't like that as a child, as if maybe there's still that warm, thoughtful Mary in there that we see on occasion, mostly when she's with Matthew.

Having your friends to tea for the Christmas show sounds like such fun!

badkitty
02-14-2012, 01:50 PM
It would be great if they weaved into the show Mary's backstory as to why she is so cold and selfish.

badkitty
02-14-2012, 01:50 PM
Yes, I actually own both of these, and I agree. He's a great actor though. Remember him in Notting Hill?

I agree! He is a great actor.

c&d
02-15-2012, 09:09 AM
I love this show. There was so much happening the 2 hours flew by. You could sense what was going to happen with the flu outbreak. In some ways I feel bad for Mary. It just seems that she just can't get it right. I'm glad dad made up with his daughter before she left.

Melanie
02-15-2012, 05:13 PM
I cannot wait for the Christmas special! I've seen more than one person refer to it as some of the best television they've ever seen. And how they've watched over and over, etc.

I know I could just get it now over the net or from buying the DVD, but I want to stretch it out as long as possible. I'm going to really miss it on Sunday nights. :(

MissMaryPoppins
02-18-2012, 10:15 PM
I haven't watched "Downton Abbey" but form everything I've been hearing, I really want to. I recently discovered someone has downloaded "Upstairs, Downstairs" to YoutTube and the 2 shows are very similar. I think once I work my way through "Upstairs, Downstairs" I'll find both seasons of "Downton Abbey" and work on that.

MNNHFLTX
02-18-2012, 10:19 PM
I have a friend in the UK whose also told me how wonderful the Christmas special was. Only a little longer to wait!

Melanie
02-19-2012, 10:36 AM
I have a friend in the UK whose also told me how wonderful the Christmas special was. Only a little longer to wait!

10.5 hours! :D

SBETigg
02-19-2012, 11:53 AM
10.5 hours! :D

Longer for me. I spare my husband the agony and watch it the next day online. Can't wait!

Melanie
02-19-2012, 12:07 PM
Longer for me. I spare my husband the agony and watch it the next day online. Can't wait!

I'm selfish. ;) Normally do the same (but I DVR it), but I just can't wait for this finale. :joy:

AgentC
02-19-2012, 06:22 PM
I'm selfish. ;) Normally do the same (but I DVR it), but I just can't wait for this finale. :joy:

I normally watch it very late art night or the next day. Everyone think sleeping thought toward my children. I'd love to watch it tonight! :D

SBETigg
02-19-2012, 06:27 PM
I normally watch it very late art night or the next day. Everyone think sleeping thought toward my children. I'd love to watch it tonight! :D

Good luck, Cindy. Maybe my husband will fall asleep early, too. (haha- not likely).

Melanie
02-19-2012, 06:28 PM

L & K ---------> :sleepin::sleepin::sleepin:

Cause we gotta discuss in the morning. :D

MNNHFLTX
02-19-2012, 10:31 PM
I think this is one of those times to set the kids up with a video! Then maybe they'll be ready to fall asleep with minimal interruption. ;)

MNNHFLTX
02-19-2012, 10:35 PM
Lol! Just realized that it's after 10:30 p.m. for you-- hope you got the kids off to bed and are watching DA!

Melanie
02-19-2012, 11:45 PM
Do you promise?

BEST line of the night! :rotfl:

PirateLover
02-20-2012, 12:34 AM
My husband and I made a deal. He got done work at 10 so I got to watch the first hour and change uninterrupted until he came home and got settled. Then we switched over to Walking Dead, then I got to finish :). Before I had to break, the last scene I watched was when Matthew came to check on Mary with Carlisle. I yelled "punch him!" and when he did I cheered! And I busted out laughing at the Dowager Coutess' line. Meanwhile my DH was laughing and shaking his head at me:blush:

What a finale.

AgentC
02-20-2012, 01:10 AM
Lol! Just realized that it's after 10:30 p.m. for you-- hope you got the kids off to bed and are watching DA!

Had to take a few breaks to put the kids to bed and it took until 12:30 but I watched it all. Luckily they has no school tomorrow and I work from home so I can roll out of bed and walk to my office.:)

And it was worth it.

Melanie
02-20-2012, 07:30 AM
Okay, now that I've slept, I'll throw out a few thoughts. First of all, it was wonderful, but I think I worked myself up too much for it. I'm so wanting one of those moments like I had the first time I watched North & South where I was completely blown away. Of course, it's my fault I read some spoilers and knew Matthew & Mary got together finally. I couldn't resist! :blush:

Watching Sir Richard get cast off was very satisfying, but I don't think we've seen the last of how this will affect the Crawley's. Maybe the men in Mary's life were a little too quick to forgive/understand for my taste? Her relief was so nice to see though. What a huge secret she'd been carrying.

Poor Mr. Bates and poor, poor Anna. He'd lie for anyone else to protect them, but when it came to himself, it was full disclosure. Geez. I guess there had to be some kind of holdover for season 3.

I missed Sybil and Branson. Maybe the baby will bring them all back together again at Downton. Am interested to see where they go with Ethel's storyline.

I will so miss my Sunday nights at Downton Abbey. :( I think I'm going to buy the DVD and watch unedited. :)

AgentC
02-20-2012, 09:52 AM
My first thoughts

I didn't read any of the spoilers, so I did not know about M&M so until the end I thought she might actually go to NY. I am a romantic at heart so the end of the episode was very satisfying to me. :cloud9:

Melanie- I can see your point about the men's attitude toward Mary's secret. It was a very fast acceptance. For Matthew, it might not be out of character. He did come from a different class and that may have made him more understanding.

Lord Grantham is interesting. He is so upset about Sybil's marriage but barely bats an eye at Mary's secret. To me I think it is a combination of Mary really being his favorite. Overall he is very forgiving of her and the dreaded Jane/Grantham story line that most of us didn't like. When he says, "you are not the first Crawley to make a mistake", I'm sure he is thinking of that.

I am glad to see Sir Richard go to, but I was surprised that I had a little sympathy for him at the end. Not a lot mind you. Just a smidge.

Poor Anna and Mr. Bates seem to perpetually draw the short straw on the show. :(

I missed Sybil too and agree on Edith. Interesting choice to bring him back and injured.

Other random thoughts- I wonder what mayhem Thomas will manage to cause next year and I am happy for Daisy.

I am really going to miss these Sunday nights too.Wish there were more episodes already.

PirateLover
02-20-2012, 10:45 AM
I, too, read a spoiler after last week about Matthew and Mary, and Sybil being pregnant, but that was it, and I still found the episode pretty fulfilling. Any bit of sympathy I had for Sir Richard went out the window when he asked Anna to spy on Mary, and cornered Mary against the wall warning her not to cross him. I don't care if he says he really loved her, he is not a good person.

I don't know what to make of Thomas. Always up to something, the character you love to hate. I could not believe he actually locked Isis in that shed. But what a great scene when he was rolling around in the woods frantically looking for her.

When they sentenced Bates to hang, I totally freaked out at first. I'm thinking "No, this cannot be!" That caught me off guard. Of course I should've known they wouldn't actually hang him ;)

One more thing-Are we meant to assume the Ouija board message was from Lavinia? "May they be happy, with my love" is what I think it read, and then right after that Matthew proposed.

BriarRose0708
02-20-2012, 10:45 AM
This was a wonderful episode and a great way to end season 2. I am wondering if they had M&M get together because they didn't know if there would be a third season until after season 2 wrapped production. I feel like the story line between these two is the crux of the series and they would want to drag out the will-they-or-won't-they a bit longer. But it's going to be EPIC once they do get married and I hope we get to see every lavish minute.

The one thing that bothers me, that the cast and producers have acknowledged, is the passage of time in the series. It's been eight years since season 1 debuted in 1912 and no one has aged a day! Especially Daisy, she still looks 12 (does anyone know how old she is anyway?). I'm completely on board with my willing suspension of disbelief, but sometimes I need to remind myself that the Turk didn't die three months ago, like it seems sometimes!

I was hoping Mary would go to New York and we'd get some scenes there, and would also make a good segway to introducing Shirley McLaine as Lady Cora's mother. But we know she's coming anyway next season!

I will stick with Masterpiece on Sundays, out of habit and also because it's just top notch programming. The Old Curiosity Shop is on next week. I'll be flipping between that and the Oscars! I'm also looking forward to the upcoming new version of Great Expectations in a few weeks!

AgentC
02-20-2012, 10:53 AM
I, too, read a spoiler after last week about Matthew and Mary, and Sybil being pregnant, but that was it, and I still found the episode pretty fulfilling. Any bit of sympathy I had for Sir Richard went out the window when he asked Anna to spy on Mary, and cornered Mary against the wall warning her not to cross him. I don't care if he says he really loved her, he is not a good person.

Oh, I do agree on Sir Richard. My smidge of sympathy was for in his view he thinks he has done everything right. He thinks Matthew is the problem and can't see that he is just as responsible. But yes, good riddance.

SBETigg
02-20-2012, 04:25 PM
It was so good! They finally slowed down and let us enjoy the storylines unfolding and wrapping up (or preparing for cliffhangers) instead of rushing us through plot developments as in the last few shows.

I think that's why the Mary news was easily forgiven or dismissed by her father and Matthew. It was years ago by now that it happened, and with the war in between and all that time, their priorities and attitudes are so changed. We've covered such a big stretch of time (without anyone really aging, as someone mentioned) and now the women are sleeveless (gasp) and fashions and society will continue to change-- which will no doubt be highlighted by the American coming on board. Watching Shirley Maclaine clash with Violet should be a delight. And how will Thomas take it when Bates comes back to resume his post? He has to come back! Does Sir Richard love Mary enough to not expose her after all? Haha, doubtful.

Obviously, we had the big plot developments with Matthew-Mary and Anna-Bates, but I loved all the others, too. Daisy with William's father, and Anna with the maid and fortune-hunter. O'Brien's softer side (surely can't last), and poor Edith still not finding a match. Well done! Now the waiting...

MNNHFLTX
02-20-2012, 05:30 PM
Lovely episode! I can totally see how sentimental this must have been when it aired on Christmas Day in the UK. That romantic proposal with the snow swirling around! (Although the practical part of me thought it seemed very unrealistic with Mary in a dress with no sleeves. Surely if it had truly been that cold Matthew would have taken off his coat for her to wear?) However, I am sad that Edit couldn't catch a break in the love department again--as time has gone by she's become my favorite of the Crawley sisters.

It is interesting how time (and the war) have subtly started blurring the lines between the classes on the show. I wasn't surprised at Lord Grantham's forgiving attitude toward Mary, given his own recent indiscretion.

I think I've said this before (or maybe it was just on Facebook), but I just love Brendan Coyle (Mr. Bates). He was so charming in a 1995 movie I watched recently, The Glass Virgin. Sure he's older now, but still has that sparkle in his eye.

Melanie
02-20-2012, 06:22 PM
I think I've said this before (or maybe it was just on Facebook), but I just love Brendan Coyle (Mr. Bates). He was so charming in a 1995 movie I watched recently, The Glass Virgin. Sure he's older now, but still has that sparkle in his eye.

He'll forever be Higgins to me. ;)

I'll have to catch The Glass Virgin sometime.

PirateLover
02-20-2012, 06:36 PM
Beth-too funny! I was thinking the exact same thing about Mary having short sleeves in the snow. I thought he would either offer his coat or grab her to warm her up which would lead to a kiss... ;)

MNNHFLTX
02-20-2012, 08:50 PM
I'll have to catch The Glass Virgin sometime.Oh yes, Mel! He is so handsome in that movie!

TheDuckRocks
02-21-2012, 12:44 AM
JUst how wonderful was the part about Daisy and William's father? I loved it and was hunting for kleenex. We also completely enjoyed the additional interviews with the cast that they showed after the episode. Can't wait for next season.

bleukarma
03-02-2012, 10:26 PM
I completely blew through season 1 and 2 in about 2 weeks. Such a great show!! I wish I would've watched it when the show was on and this thread was active so I would have someone to talk to about. The casting, costumes, cinematography, and acting on it is just perfect.

It's funny, at the begining of season 1 I didn't want Mary and Matthew together because I thought she was too mean for him. Then when she got involved with that awful Sir Richard I was rooting for Mary and Matthew to somehow get together!

I just can't believe how different that world is. And it was less then 100 years ago! It definitely had me sucked in and had my attention. I can't wait for season 3! I hope it isn't a long wait.

SBETigg
03-02-2012, 10:31 PM
I've heard the cast is signed on for five seasons. I hope this is true, but I also hope they start slowing down a bit with plot developments and the passing of time or the characters will all be aging, dead, and buried before five seasons runs out. :)

Christine
04-30-2012, 05:39 PM
I FINALLY watched season one and OMGosh I adore it!!!! Best show I've seen in a long long time! I've actually gasped--- Out loud! Not often a show or movie makes me do that!

I could scratch Thomas' eyes out! Yuck!
Is he the evil dude from titanic? Or does he just look similar ?

BriarRose0708
07-24-2012, 02:02 PM
Season Three debuts on PBS Sunday January 6th! There was a Critic's conference over the weekend and lots of Tweets from @MasterpiecePBS from the panel. I gather there were some really good clips of new episodes shown as well. There's a great picture of Hugh Bonneville wearing a Free Bates t-shirt under his suit, Superman style.

I've been watching Season 1 on Netflix all week to take the edge off of DA withdrawal.

Melanie
07-24-2012, 02:14 PM
Have you seen the new image from Season 3? Squeeeeeeeeee!!!!

SBETigg
07-24-2012, 02:16 PM
Anyone know when it starts? I can't wait!

AgentC
07-24-2012, 02:27 PM

Not soon enough. January. :(

BriarRose0708
07-24-2012, 02:36 PM

January 6th!

Mel- LOVE the new pic!!!!

Watching episodes as "background noise" while at work and the Dowager Countess keeps making me chuckle. "what's a weekend?"

Katzateer
07-24-2012, 05:19 PM
Loved season one - how can I see season2 now. Is it being aired anytime soon?

BriarRose0708
07-24-2012, 05:35 PM
Season 2 aired in the USA in January and February of 2012 on PBS. The season 2 episodes were able to stream on PBS.com but I think they've been taken off. I don't believe season 2 is on Netflix instant yet, but the DVD is in stores.

MNNHFLTX
07-24-2012, 07:07 PM
Oh, so good to see all their faces again (and Shirley MacLaine there too)!

CMCTxMom
07-24-2012, 08:06 PM
I got both seasons on DVD for Mother's Day - it was my one request. I think DH got them at Target, and I know I've seen them at Costco too. SO worth the investment. I wonder who the new characters are in the the Season 3 picture?!?!?! Can't wait!!!!!!!!!!

Melanie
07-24-2012, 08:15 PM
I wonder who the new characters are in the the Season 3 picture?!?!?! Can't wait!!!!!!!!!!

The only new character in this picture is Shirley MacLaine, as Lady Grantham's mother. Can't wait to see her exchanges with the Dowager Countess. :funny:

Katzateer
07-26-2012, 12:27 PM
I saw the first season on instant Netflix so I guess that I won't see the second season until it is available there. I am not going to purchase the DVD

CMCTxMom
07-26-2012, 08:12 PM
The only new character in this picture is Shirley MacLaine, as Lady Grantham's mother. Can't wait to see her exchanges with the Dowager Countess. :funny:

Oh, you're right - I didn't recognize - oh what's his name - the chauffer that Cybil married. I don't know about Shirley MacLaine...? Interesting casting choice. I'm sure it'll be awesome, though.

Oh, and if you missed Season 2 (whoever said that...) you HAVE to see it before Season 3 starts. SO much happens in Season 2!!!! SO GOOD!

CMCTxMom
07-26-2012, 08:14 PM
Ugh, but they should feel free to kill off Thomas at any point. (I know, they won't. Bleh)

Melanie
07-26-2012, 08:43 PM
Oh, you're right - I didn't recognize - oh what's his name - the chauffer that Cybil married. I don't know about Shirley MacLaine...? Interesting casting choice. I'm sure it'll be awesome, though.

Right, I don't think Tom was included in Season (or Series, as the British call it) 1 and 2 photos.

Shirley MacLaine is Cora's mom. Should be great!

bleukarma
08-08-2012, 07:47 PM
Darn, I read on wikipedia that season 3 comes out in September, but I read wrong. Turns out it comes out in Sept in ITV (whatever that is) and January on PBS. I guess I have a few months more to wait :( But...Christmas is coming! I would like to re-watch at least season 2 before season 3 starts.

Melanie
08-08-2012, 07:53 PM
Yep, it airs in the UK first, then we get it in the States in January. :( I think I'll rewatch again as well. :)

missastrocat
08-10-2012, 05:29 PM
Hello all DA fans! I just found this thread. I love Downtown Abbey! My DH is from Scotland, and really got hooked on watching dramas when I spent the summer with him there a few years ago. I sat and watched DA like I would watch a sporting event. I'd get so excited if I liked something and would talk smack about the people I didn't like.

I can't wait for Season 3! I wish Sherlock Holmes was going to come on afterwards like it did this past year. I've thought about watching Upstairs/Downstairs just to get my fix for British shows.

Btw, is there any Downtown Abbey merchandise available at the UK pavilion? Now THAT would be cool!

Melanie
08-18-2012, 06:39 PM
Welcome to the thread, missastrocat!!!

A teaser clip from series 3 is on the ITV 1 You Tube channel now. It's so funny!!!

Virtues of the English (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NvDtszcZAV0&feature=share)

:funny:

AgentC
08-18-2012, 07:00 PM
Welcome to the thread, missastrocat!!!

A teaser clip from series 3 is on the ITV 1 You Tube channel now. It's so funny!!!

Virtues of the English (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NvDtszcZAV0&feature=share)

:funny:

Got to love the Dowager!:thumbsup:

MegaDisney
08-18-2012, 07:49 PM
I saw the first season on instant Netflix so I guess that I won't see the second season until it is available there. I am not going to purchase the DVD

Season Two is available on HULU. That is where I watched it.

Looking forward to Season Three!

missastrocat
08-19-2012, 09:03 PM
Great clip! Did she write it in her contract that she had to have the best one liners? Zing!

Melanie
08-20-2012, 11:51 AM
And another short clip. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=twmT-BncW7k&feature=player_embedded)

I. Cannot. Wait. :joy:

Melanie
09-04-2012, 10:49 AM
And there is now a longer (1+ minutes) clip on pbs.org.

Melanie
09-15-2012, 08:53 PM
So jealous of those in the UK - Downton Abbey starts TOMORROW for you! :envy:

Is it January yet? :wait:

AgentC
09-16-2012, 12:13 AM
So jealous of those in the UK - Downton Abbey starts TOMORROW for you! :envy:

Is it January yet? :wait:

I know. It is so unfair!

TheDuckRocks
09-16-2012, 05:24 PM
I know. It is so unfair!

:ditto: Do you think if I got a really long extension cord..............

PirateLover
09-16-2012, 08:38 PM
Is there a BBC website we can tap into? Lol. I tried watching Gosford Park over the summer to get a Julian Fellowes fix (I had never seen it before) and I just found it really slow and tedious. It has the same upstairs/downstairs kind of theme to it though. I was surprised that I didn't really like it because it won an Academy Award for Best Screenplay!

Mrs Bus Driver
09-21-2012, 12:25 PM
Loved season one - how can I see season2 now. Is it being aired anytime soon?

They are on Netflix watched the whole thing over a weekend now I am sad. It will take longer then January for season 3 to show up on Netflix:(

Katzateer
09-21-2012, 12:42 PM
They are on Netflix watched the whole thing over a weekend now I am sad. It will take longer then January for season 3 to show up on Netflix:(

I checked a couple if days ago and only season 1 came up!? I will try again !

Mrs Bus Driver
09-21-2012, 01:00 PM
After reading some of the posts I am now watching again from the beginning:mickey: Just had to get my fix :D

BriarRose0708
09-21-2012, 01:59 PM
I checked a couple if days ago and only season 1 came up!? I will try again !

Only Season 1 on Netflix but season 2 should be on Hulu if you have that.

This is TORTURE! I had to unfollow so many people on Twitter so their comments about the show airing in Britain now wouldn't ruin it for me. With some creative searching, you can find the Season 3 episodes online, but I prefer to watch on PBS.

Mrs Bus Driver
09-21-2012, 03:04 PM
Only Season 1 on Netflix but season 2 should be on Hulu if you have that.

This is TORTURE! I had to unfollow so many people on Twitter so their comments about the show airing in Britain now wouldn't ruin it for me. With some creative searching, you can find the Season 3 episodes online, but I prefer to watch on PBS.

that's odd I have both seasons available on Netflix, well both are on Amazon Prime. Sorry if I gave the wrong info

BriarRose0708
09-21-2012, 03:07 PM
that's odd I have both seasons available on Netflix, well both are on Amazon Prime. Sorry if I gave the wrong info

That's ok, I just went to my Netflix stream instantly and only season 1 is there. Strange.

Melanie
09-21-2012, 03:17 PM
That's ok, I just went to my Netflix stream instantly and only season 1 is there. Strange.

Just checked my Netflix, and only season 1 is there as well. I've got the DVDs for both seasons, so I think I'm going to give both seasons (or series, as the British call it) another watching again soon.

Like Nikki said, you can find series 3 online if you really look, but I'd rather wait for the PBS airing as well.

Aurora
09-25-2012, 11:18 PM
Watched both seasons on Amazon Prime instant streaming. Also can't wait for Season 3. I'm always wary of viewing videos on sites that I don't know too much about. Too afraid of downloading some unwanted code.

SBETigg
09-26-2012, 09:39 AM
I'm waiting for the PBS. The anticipation makes it all the sweeter when it gets here.

TheDuckRocks
09-26-2012, 11:01 AM
I'm waiting for the PBS. The anticipation makes it all the sweeter when it gets here.

Yes, yes, yes!

On Sunday we went to a local performance of Legally Blonde the Musical as my 17 year old grandson was in the cast. His girlfriend and her family were there to see it also. They couldn't stay to see the end of the show as they had to be home in time to catch the first viewing of Downton Abbey over the internet. I can't imagine leaving something I'd paid money for over something free that will be repeated over and over and over again. Aside from it being kind of rude IMHO.

SBETigg
09-26-2012, 12:00 PM
Yes, yes, yes!

I can't imagine leaving something I'd paid money for over something free that will be repeated over and over and over again. Aside from it being kind of rude IMHO.

Agreed, it is rude. The kids work so hard on those productions.

Aurora
09-26-2012, 11:34 PM
Yes, yes, yes!

On Sunday we went to a local performance of Legally Blonde the Musical as my 17 year old grandson was in the cast. His girlfriend and her family were there to see it also. They couldn't stay to see the end of the show as they had to be home in time to catch the first viewing of Downton Abbey over the internet. I can't imagine leaving something I'd paid money for over something free that will be repeated over and over and over again. Aside from it being kind of rude IMHO.

Rude and incredibly immature. :rolleyes:

SBETigg
10-15-2012, 09:46 PM
Oh my gosh, I was on a blog and I just got a big unintended spoiler on Season 3! Be careful out there. I wish I didn't know.

Aurora
10-15-2012, 10:52 PM
Oh my gosh, I was on a blog and I just got a big unintended spoiler on Season 3! Be careful out there. I wish I didn't know.

Oh no! Was it a Downton Abbey blog or were you just blindsided?

Melanie
10-16-2012, 07:18 AM
I've had to stop following on Twitter and Facebook. Sorry you were spoiled Sherri. :(

SBETigg
10-16-2012, 09:17 AM
Oh no! Was it a Downton Abbey blog or were you just blindsided?

Total blindside. It was on a blog completely unrelated to Downton Abbey, down in the comments section, where someone was waxing on about the Downton developments. But so it goes.

I'm surprised I wasn't spoiled sooner because I have been researching my next books and on a lot of Edwardian/Downton Abbey time period type sites. But no, I was spoiled in a completely unrelated way.

BriarRose0708
10-16-2012, 09:47 AM
Oh no, I'm sorry Sherri! I've unfollowed a lot of people on Twitter to avoid spoilers but who would have thought you'd run into something on an unrelated topic!

MNNHFLTX
10-16-2012, 09:56 AM
I know of the events you are talking about, Sherri; in my case I was chatting with a friend in England and it came out (at my insistence, I must add--I don't mind spoilers). Sorry that you found out unintentionally though.

SBETigg
10-16-2012, 10:01 AM
I know of the events you are talking about, Sherri; in my case I was chatting with a friend in England and it came out (at my insistence, I must add--I don't mind spoilers). Sorry that you found out unintentionally though.

I'll still enjoy watching for myself, so not too bad. Only a few more months. :thumbsup:

peterbank
10-30-2012, 04:22 AM
this show is the best drama to come from British Television in my lifetime. Definitive acting - utterly sublime. The likes of Hugh Bonneville, Jim Carter and Maggie Smith deserve to be the yard stick for excellence in acting