PDA

View Full Version : What I've dreamed up for August

tinksmom02
01-14-2012, 11:14 AM
Hoping my fellow Intercotees will let me know if what I've been thinking of sounds feasible.

Week of August 19: Arrive MCO early am; take DME to Pop, check in for 2 nights. 2 or 3 days of base tickets (could do DTD & resorts the first day maybe), no dining plan (obviously), maybe 1 sit-down dinner, the rest we'll catch on the fly.

Tuesday, after a full day in a Disney park, pick up luggage at Pop and head to Universal. (Taxi is an option, correct?) Check in at Universal hotel (probably Royal Pacific) for three nights with 2 days of park-to-park tickets. Early night's sleep so we can take full advantage of the early entry to Harry Potter for both days.

Friday am have Quicksilver take us back to the airport. Home by lunchtime on Friday.

We did the Universal part of this trip last August at the same time and it was wonderful. Crowds were not a factor at all, and we didn't have a problem with the heat & daily thunderstorms.

So, feel free to poke holes in my plan, or suggest something I may have missed. Is Disney generally quieter at this time? We've never done Pop; I will splurge for a preferred room, but is there anything else we'd need to know? I don't want to rent a car, so getting from WDW to US is a problem--is it easy enough to get a taxi from Pop?

Am I missing something, or does this sound like we (DD, who will be 10 so an "adult," and myself) could do?

Thanks, as always!

mom2morgan
01-14-2012, 01:07 PM
I think it sounds totally reasonable - and it is very easy to get a cab from any Disney hotel. Ask at the front desk and they'll hail one for you right there, and you'll be in it in 5 minutes.(they wait right on property, just out of sight). That's what we do when we stay at Disney and want to get to Universal and Seaworld.

greengeen
01-14-2012, 01:45 PM
Many schools are starting up by that time, so it should be a little quieter. We did a similar split between RPR and BWI once and enjoyed it. But my preference is to do Universal first and Disney second, because we like Disney better! That way Universal isn't a let-down.

ibelieveindisneymagic
01-14-2012, 04:27 PM
Disney is starting to slow down a bit then too, and I love the idea of a whirlwind trip! We thought about the same thing last August, but decided to stay closer to home.

I think it sounds great, a chance to do all of your favourite things. Depending though, if you can be away on the weekend, you might be able to add a day to give a bit more time at Disney (if you want), since there is a lot of ground to cover.

tinksmom02
01-14-2012, 10:54 PM
Thanks for all of your replies! I think 5 mights is already stretching it a bit, so adding another is probably out of the question. We have tons of Disney trips under our belts, so this trip would really be all about our favorites, probably just at MK & Epcot.

& I wanted to do Disney first primarily because of DME--I'd much rather not have to worry about the luggage on the way in, and get a service to take us back to the airport in 2 hours instead of 3--especially with an early am flight LOL

I'm still kicking it around--I tentatively brought it up to DD today and she wasn't as enthusiastic as I had hoped...

mouseketeer mom
01-15-2012, 07:34 AM
Totally do able. We do WDW each August. It's not as quiet as you would expect..(is there really a quiet time anymore???)..but it's easier then other times of year. The heat is intense, just super humid, but again, who cares, you're in WDW! The taxi issue is not really one, taxi's will be hailed for you from any of the resorts. Sounds like a perfect before school resumes getaway.

VWL Mom
01-15-2012, 10:46 AM
Since you'll already be booking Quicksilver for your return trip you may want to compare their POP/Universal fare with that of a cab, it may be cheaper.

We went down last year from Aug 22-26. the crowds weren't bad at all.

tinksmom02
01-15-2012, 10:59 AM
Since you'll already be booking Quicksilver for your return trip you may want to compare their POP/Universal fare with that of a cab, it may be cheaper.

We went down last year from Aug 22-26. the crowds weren't bad at all.

Their website has a price of $40 from WDW to Universal; does anyone know how that compares with cab fare?

My only thing was that I didn't want to HAVE to be tied down to a return time to POP to catch a service. Of course, if there's a significant price difference, I'll be happy to have to schedule return times LOL