PDA

View Full Version : Airfare - Too early to worry?

NokOnHarts
01-12-2012, 07:12 PM
We aren't planning to visit WDW till November. I have been casually checking airfare just so I know when a good deal shows up and so far prices have just been going up. This far out, I shouldn't be concerned about price increases, correct? (I hope) I'm not planning to buy till much further into the year but is it likely that prices will drop significantly as we get closer? They'd need to drop about $100 a ticket for it to be reasonable at this point. ::unsure:

faline
01-12-2012, 07:34 PM
Hard to say - it's such a volatile market and has been for seveal years. Additionally, new rules are going into effect which will make tha fares LOOK higher but will be more realistic as airlines will be required to include fees and other costs in the total costs instead of at the end of the transaction!

Madame Leona
01-13-2012, 07:15 AM
There is so much conflicting advice about when to buy tickets. Generally, in my area, I have found that with Delta, I get the best price further out. For a fall trip, I always find myself buying in Jan. I have gotten the best price that way for the last 3 years in a row.

DizneyRox
01-13-2012, 09:31 AM
I was just reading an article yesterday about how they think airlines are going to look at price increases fairly often this year. I think they just got a $20 increase through and it's only mid-January.

Typically, the further out you buy, the lower the fare. The less seats on a plane means they can command higher prices. I've found though that the initial offering of tickets are usually priced fairly high, for those that want the peace of mind. Then as the gauge interest, you'll see lower prices. Once the plane is almost sold out, you're paying through the nose... Find a price you're comfortable paying, knowing that the price can go up and down from there.

A $100 per ticket drop seems unlikely houwever...

NokOnHarts
01-13-2012, 12:29 PM
I keep reading that the "experts" recommend not buying before about 3 months out as airlines don't really monitor fares much before then so you'll pay more. Guess I am just wondering if this advice is still accurate or not? But they probably don't know either. So hard to plan a trip not knowing if the airfare is going to be affordable or not when that is such a huge part of the cost.

brivers222
01-13-2012, 12:51 PM
I know last year I jumped early at a "good" rate, only to see it fall the closer it got to my date. After i bought the ticket i continued to monitor the prices and found about a week and a 1/2 to weeks out the prices start to go back up.

This year prices for Oct are about $800 more for first class than they were 2months out. I am going to hang tight and wait for the lower prices.

Same with rental cars... Right now they are INSANE... but if you look closely at all the deals they are for travel until 6/2012 so anything outside of that window is paying a ton more. I started out in July with an economy rental car for $500 for 11 days. 3 days before my trip I got a premium car (same company) for $200 (inluding all taxes) for the 11 days.

Hang tight... i wouldn't start worrying until you are about 3 months out.

DizneyRox
01-18-2012, 07:23 AM
Looks like Delta is leading another price increase attempt. That's two in a week.

Get those tickets early would be my advice...

Auroring Good Time
01-18-2012, 01:20 PM
I've found with peak travel times such as school vacation weeks, Christmas and Thanksgiving, it is better to book your flights in advance. If you are looking at an off peak time, you may be better off waiting.

brivers222
01-18-2012, 02:20 PM
with all the economy prices raising i still see the First Class prices dropping the same way they did in 2011 as my dates arrive.

but maybe that is because I am not traveling at a peak time