PDA

View Full Version : Birthday ideas?

arm00leg
01-10-2012, 11:24 PM
Ok, going to Disney World next fall for DH's birthday. I would love to have some kind of surprise set up in the room when we arrive. Any ideas? What kind of things will Disney do? We will be staying at the Beach Club. Nothing too expensive please. Thanks!

faline
01-11-2012, 11:44 AM
You could set up something with Disney Floris (http://www.disneyflorist.com/)t. However, don't expect it to already be in your room when you check in.

Don't forget to get the birthday button!

BrerGnat
01-11-2012, 11:55 AM
We just spent DH's birthday at the Beach Club. I had inquired ahead about cakes and stuff, but they are very expensive and big. There were only 4 of us, and none of us are huge cake eaters, so I passed on that idea. I did mention DH's birthday at the time I booked, and it was on our reservation as a "celebration" we were having. On his birthday, there was a large 8x10 photo of all the Fab 5 characters in front of the castle left in our room. The card was autographed and signed "Happy Birthday X".

When we went out to dinner, I had an ADR made for that day, and noted the birthday on our reservation for that as well. We ate at Via Napoli. The waiters all sang Happy Birthday to DH and he got a free little dessert cake. We also got him the birthday button and EVERYONE said Happy Birthday to him, even lots of fellow guests.

I really don't think there is any need to spend any extra money on something in the room. If you mention the birthday, it will be acknowledged.

Perhaps a better use of the money you might spend is sending your DH for a round of golf, or a massage or something.

arm00leg
01-11-2012, 10:44 PM
Thanks. I thought special items, like a cake might be expensive. I did mention this being a birthday trip when I made the reservations. :party:

AgentC
01-12-2012, 12:02 AM
We got a custom cake for my son in October because he is really into cake. It was made at the Grand Floridian and served at 1900 Park Fare. We went with the least expensive option which was a 6 inch butter cream cake for $55.

Yacht & Beach Club bakery does cakes too but each bakery prices their own cakes so it might be more. If your husband is a Star Wars fan, they used to do a Jedi Mickey white chocolate figure at Yacht/Beach Club. You could check with private dining to see if it is still available.

BrerGnat
01-12-2012, 08:28 AM
We went with the least expensive option which was a 6 inch butter cream cake for $55.

This is what I was quoted as well, and I thought that was an absolutely absurd amount of money. DH agreed. I can see spending that for a child who is REALLY into cake, though. Our kids don't like cake that much, though, and it wasn't their birthday. ;)

Our entire birthday dinner for DH cost only $60...

AgentC
01-12-2012, 10:04 AM
This is what I was quoted as well, and I thought that was an absolutely absurd amount of money. DH agreed. I can see spending that for a child who is REALLY into cake, though. Our kids don't like cake that much, though, and it wasn't their birthday. ;)

Our entire birthday dinner for DH cost only $60...

I accidentally set a birthday cake precedent the previous year when I told my son he could pick any cake he wanted from the Publix website. Imagine my surprise when I went to the store and the Spiderman cake was $47! :oops:

So $55 wasn't too far off even though the Publix cake was much bigger and he knew it was a one time deal.

Next year his birthday will be during ICOT15 & I am pretty sure he will only be getting the free cupcake on that trip!

arm00leg
01-14-2012, 09:29 PM
Hmm. Maybe I'll check into a fishing outing for him, do they still do that at Disney?

faline
01-15-2012, 04:12 PM
There are still fishing excursions.