PDA

View Full Version : When and what to book for best discount options

BJSforVols
01-10-2012, 01:26 PM
Hi all,

I am new at this since this is my family's first WDW trip. We are planning to be there 10/8/12 - 10/13/12. We've also pretty much determined we are either booking at YC or POR. (We want YC, but budget may require POR if there are no discounts.) We also plan to get the dining plus package and the park hopper option.

Knowing this, what do you suggest as to when and what to reserve. Should we book now and modify when/if discounts come out, or wait until we see discounts before booking?

If we're hoping for a "free Dining Discount," and we book now, would we still be able to get free dining if it became available after we booked? Would we be better off to book without the dining plan and then add it later once we've seen the available discounts for our time frame?

The last decision is do we book the moderate "POR" and upgrade when/if discounts come out, or do we book the Deluxe and then consider downgrading if no discounts every come out?

I know ultimately, we have to answer these questions for our situation, but what is everyone's opinions on this?

Tygger7
01-10-2012, 01:39 PM
My opinion? Very simple: contact Magical Journey's and book your vacation through them. They are one of Intercot's sponsors, and I won't book a trip to Disney without them ever again. I've referred a bunch of people to them over the years and not one person has been disappointed with their service. There is no charge to use Magical Journey's, and they can advise you on the best options. Best of all, they watch for discounts and if something better comes along, they will automatically make the change to your reservation...you don't need to do a thing. Trust me, using them will save you a ton of time and if there are discounts available, they will find them.

SallyMcQueen
01-10-2012, 01:49 PM
Completely agree with PP. I used Magical Journeys for the first time for our trip this February. Disney announced room discounts for our stay after we had already booked. I had an email from Kathy at MJ first thing that morning with my update reservation and new cost. I have to say its been fantastic dealing with her and I won't ever book a WDW vacation without using them.

brivers222
01-10-2012, 03:46 PM
I would say contact Magical Journeys (ask for Debbie!) and they will guide you through the process.

Actually guide is the wrong word with them. You give them your dates and the $200 disney required downpayment and they DO ALL THE REST!

its like that Set it and forget it... or easy button commercials.

Seriously, Debbie did all the leg work finding the best discounts for me. All i had to do was say, sure thing!

For example, I booked my Dec Disneymoon in december of the previous year. The first discount to come out was FREE Dining which saved me about $300... I thought i was king of the world there.

Then about a week later I got another message saying that i was converted to FULL PRICE dining because a room discount came out that saved me $1000.

but wait, there is MORE!

I had a split stay (Poly and BWI) so Debbie found it more affordable to get a 10day PH pass for the first portion of my trip and then a 1day MYW base for the second leg. We were only going to use 8 Park days so we were going to get 4 and 4... She pointed out that by getting the 11 day ticket combo I would save $100 over the 4 and 4 set up....

The effort i put into it.... NOTHING! and I saved $1000!

Unfortuantely we are going to be going the way of Timeshares (first my parents exchange to DVC) and then actually going to buy into DVC when GF opens.... So we will no longer be using MAGICAL JOURNEYS... But i will continue to yell from the roof tops just how good they are. My only regret using them is that I DIDN'T USE THEM SOONER.....

LVT
01-10-2012, 06:12 PM
I usually start out with travel agent and AAA discount.
Then the travel agent makes it better as other discounts come along (as noted in others' comments.

It can be tricky to determine the best deal. The travel agents get more practice.

faline
01-10-2012, 06:23 PM
Welcome to Intercot! :mickey:

As others have noted, Magical Journeys (http://yourmagicaljourneys.com/)is a wonderful resource which helps you get the best discount possible at absolutely no cost to you!!

In my opinion, AAA does little to assist you once you make your initial booking. Magical Journeys on the other hand, continually monitors your booking and any discounts that are announced to get you the best value for your vacation possible.

Also, look carefully at "free dining" and/or the dining package. Oftentimes, a deep room discount will provide you with much better value than "free dining" and/or purchasing the dining plan. Be sure to price it out and take into consideration the way you and your family actually eats on a regular basis.

BJSforVols
01-10-2012, 08:00 PM
Thanks for the replies. I have another related question after receiving an email a little while ago. I received a pin code which would give me a 10% discount off selected resorts. I'm hoping for a better discount before we travel but yet would appreciate a 10% discount over no discount. Does utilizing a pin code prevent one from modifying later when/if other discounts come out? Can I use this pin code and still go through Magical Journeys?

faline
01-10-2012, 08:07 PM
Absolutely, you can use the pin code you received. Magical Journeys can apply it for you and will also let you know whether there are other discounts that will best the pin code. A 10% pin code in not terrific. I've seen much better offers.

Dopey's Girl
01-10-2012, 09:52 PM
Another vote for Magical Journeys. When I know I want to go, I send Wendy an email with my dates and desired resort. She prices out all of the options, and gets me booked. When new deals come out, she does the research to see what is best for me, and applies a new deal if it's better. AAA won't do that, nor will any other agents I know. Once most get your money, they are pretty much done with you. They are a great group. I have been booking with Wendy for about 7 years and won't ever go back to booking alone!