PDA

View Full Version : Sword in the Stone

Dyanna
01-10-2012, 07:28 AM
Every time we take a trip to WDW it has been tradition that my DD (5 now) that she try to pull on the sword to release it. Does it actually ever come out of the stone? Has anyone ever done this? Is it a random thing or just for show?

faline
01-10-2012, 08:32 AM
They used to do a show there several times per day. Merlin would come out and lay down a rope to make a sort of staging area. He would then pick a couple of folks out of the audience to try to remove the sword from the stone. Typically, a young child would be the one able to release the sword from the stone.

DisneyAggies
01-10-2012, 08:43 AM
From what I understand (and have heard accounts), it is still randomly released throughout the day. A nice little magic moment for those that take the time...

MickeysBestPal
01-10-2012, 09:03 AM
From what I understand (and have heard accounts), it is still randomly released throughout the day. A nice little magic moment for those that take the time...

Yes. This.

Keep in mind that the sword never "comes out" of the stone.

It just "loosens" a bit and rises up about 10 inches from its fully-wedged position when it does (occasionally) react to a youngsters attempts.

BugeyedMuggy
01-10-2012, 09:39 AM
When we were there in Dec two little boys tried to pull it up and it didn't move but when the little girl did it it moved up. The little boys kept trying to pull it up after that. I guess they didn't want to be shown up by the little girl. It was so cute.

Mickey 101
01-17-2012, 02:19 PM
I just have share this experience about the sword in the stone. My family stopped to watch the show when Merlin came out and asked for volunteers to try to pull the sword from the stone. Many young children (and some adults) tried but none were able to. After about 10 minutes of this, Merlin went into the crowd and pulled out a little girl from the audience, asking her to give it a try. When she got to the stone, we realized the little girl had Down's Syndrome. The sword came out of the stone on her first try and everyone cheered. Merlin told the little girl how strong she was and gave her a big hug. She was THRILLED! There was not a dry eye in the audience. Talk about Disney magic!:mickey:

Ian
01-17-2012, 03:14 PM
Talk about Disney magic!:mickey:One more bit of Disney magic that's fallen by the wayside to help ensure executive bonuses stay outrageously large. ;)

Bass T-bone
01-17-2012, 08:26 PM
:exactly:

EJS-Houston
01-19-2012, 06:03 PM
In all my trips to DisneyWorld I don't believe I've ever seen the Sword in the Stone. I assume it's in the Magic Kingdom...but where?

faline
01-19-2012, 06:39 PM
In all my trips to DisneyWorld I don't believe I've ever seen the Sword in the Stone. I assume it's in the Magic Kingdom...but where?

It's just in front of the Carousel as you exit the passageway through the Castle.