PDA

View Full Version : Magic Express quetion

missouridisney
01-09-2012, 05:57 PM
We are, or plan to use, Magic Express for the
1st time. I have our yellow tags ordered, but my DSIL thinks we need to rent a car. If we decide not to use Magic Express do we need to tell someone at some point? Possibly we may use ME, and he can get the car and meet us there.

faline
01-09-2012, 06:42 PM
It's only common curtesy to cancel a service you don't plan to use.

By the way, unless you have plans to go beyond Disney property, you don't need a rental car, in my opinion.

AmandaChan
01-09-2012, 08:05 PM
Unless you plan on going to places other than the Disney prop I would not get a rental car. We did the 1st time around and it was the biggest mistake we ever made. It is so not worth the effort unless you plan on going to the beach, universal, etc... I don't think we'll ever get a rental car again unless we decide to go to the beach. And if you're worried about maybe needing stuff take packing extra things and shipping them to the hotel into consideration... it can be very reasonably priced if you shop via fed ex or something like that.

BrerGnat
01-10-2012, 08:26 AM
Anyone who has a DME reservation and doesn't end up using it, should cancel it.

I would also recommend against renting a car. It's such a pain, and totally not necessary, never mind money that doesn't really need to be spent. I hate renting cars in general, so the fact that I don't have to at WDW makes it that much more desirable a vacation spot for me.

BelleBeauty
01-10-2012, 01:33 PM
If you don't want to use ME just don't put the tags on your bags and pick them up yourselves. I would certainly cancel the reservation, but the ME desk is also located near the rental car desks.

You definitely don't need a rental car. Disney transportation is fantastic and free. If you do get into the position where you need to do a complicated transport (between DTD and a park) or need to get somewhere fast, we've found the taxis to be easy and inexpensive.

brivers222
01-10-2012, 04:01 PM
I am torn on the rental car situation. I was fine using the disney transportation until they announced the shut down of the monorail an hour after park closing making late night ressies at the hotels a bit of a hassle.. I found that my car is much faster getting anywhere on property.

The biggest issue was when it took 40mins to get from Animal Kingdom lodge to Animal Kingdom... 3 MK buses came in that 40mins we waited for a AK bus...

I also had a lot of early morning ADRs and late night ADRs that the car made it easiest and quickest to get to. Poly to SSR for a Massage would take about an hour with Disney transportation but it took me 10mins by car.

Same with going from BWI to Poly for an ohana dinner. we were there in 9mins by car.

So your DSIL might be onto something.... but keep checking for low rates. Through Costco the rates changed daily and I managed to get a premium car for $189 for 11days at Avis.

Also as soon as you decide to rent a car, cancel DME

Janmac
01-11-2012, 10:06 AM
It is also possible, and perhaps cheaper, to get a taxi to early or late ADRs, depending on how many you have. (Question here: in the past we've used Disney transportation to get to ADRs in the parks before rope drop. Is this not possible any more?)

Our s-i-l would also want to rent a car. My solution would be to take DME, sit back and relax, and let him drive himself, and schlep his own luggage.

Ditto with Disney parks. I really appreciate just sitting back and relaxing while Disney transportation takes me where I want to go. Perhaps when I was younger I might have wanted to spend the energy navigating but not any more.

I am really being thankful that we haven't cared that much for Disney resorts on the monorail. We actually like Wilderness Lodge or Fort Wilderness and the boats more. If the boat service were curtailed, THAT would really matter. :(

Jan

Scar
01-11-2012, 11:27 AM
If the OP doesn't like the buses (as I don't) then a rental car is a good idea (and a must for me) for any value or moderate resort.

brivers222
01-11-2012, 12:54 PM
If the OP doesn't like the buses (as I don't) then a rental car is a good idea (and a must for me) for any value or moderate resort.

yeah i just can't buy into the bus situation... Sure I can let go of the hassle of driving while in the park... but then a whole knew hassle of the length of time it takes to get from point A to Point B using buses...

I love that in a car you can get somewhere in 10mins which would take a bus 40-50mins on a good day.

To me, my time in the park (and less on a bus) is worth the cost of a rental car... a good priced car mind you ;)