PDA

View Full Version : Looking for advice/tips for April. It's been a long time.

LilHooligan74
01-08-2012, 04:09 PM
Hello to all my family on here. It has been about four years since I have posted. I have missed everyone. Time in Iraq, new relationship, new job. So now that life has settled it is time for WDW:number1:.
As a late birthday present I am looking at bringing T.O.(the one) to WDW the last week of April. We are trying to coordinate it with the Nursing Symposium being held on property April 25th-29th.
Money is an object, but is not. We have been saving for her annual birthday trip so we have been looking at Deluxe Resorts. I have stayed previously at The Boardwalk. Would like to look at a Magic Kingdom resort and wanted some advice. At this point it will just be her and I. I do know we will add the PH option, not sure of what else we are planning.
So what I am looking for is ideas and suggestions on where to stay(room view, level of service, etc.) and other ideas (where to eat, etc.). Dining no dining, etc. Eating is kind of a wing it thing for us on vacation. I know posters on here have a wealth of information. Looking at staying 4 to 7 nights. I know I am less than four months out, but it is somewhat of a short notice decision.
Looking forward to the advice. It's good to be back!!!!:cool:

faline
01-08-2012, 04:19 PM
You have a number of options in the Magic Kingdom area.

The least expensive option Wilderness Lodge (and is one of my favorite resorts) though it is not on the monrail line (although there is a boat to and from Magic Kingdom). The Poly is my most favorite. Love the ambience though your room could be placed closer to the Ticket and Transportation Center than the main building. If you want to go all out, you could try the Grand Floridian. The Contemporary or Bay Lake Tower are both very nice. I love being able to walk to and from the Magic Kingdom from this location.

If you tend to "wing" eating, I would suspect the dining plan would not be a good match with your style. To get the most out of it, you really need to plan your dining out ahead of time. Also, since your planned trip is only a few month away, you could have problems getting reservations at some of the more popular dining venues.

Welcome back to Intercot!! :mickey:

NJGIRL
01-08-2012, 08:11 PM
Welcome back and thanks for serving our country. :thumbsup:

I love the Wilderness Lodge also.

disneymom15
01-08-2012, 09:16 PM
Welcome back & thank you for your service to our country. Of the MK resorts, We've only stayed at Bay Lakes Towers. Absolutely love it. So nice to be able to walk to MK.

LilHooligan74
01-08-2012, 10:23 PM
Thank you for all your information. I am just fortunate that I came home like thousands did not. We have narrowed it down to either the Polynesian or Wilderness Lodge. I know they are different themes and vibes. Since the parks are busy busy, would enjoy a place to unwind. There is availability at both. Still am thinking about the Dining plan. T.O. feels she can "wing" it a little less. But it does come down to more bang for the buck.

mickeys_princess_mom
01-08-2012, 10:33 PM
Love, LOVE the Poly! :wave:

BrerGnat
01-09-2012, 08:29 AM
First of all, welcome back! And, thanks for your sacrifice.

I would recommend Wilderness Lodge, because it is as far away as possible (theme wise) as the scenery in Iraq. ;) Just kidding (sort of but not really). It is a very romantic resort, quiet, and a nice getaway feel from the rest of WDW, yet it's just a boat ride away from the MK. Also, there is a boat launch that goes to the Contemporary Resort, where you could hop the monorail to dine at any of those three places.

Honestly, WL feels more "deluxe" to me than Polynesian does. I'd recommend Contemporary over Polynesian for 2 adults (nice, upscale rooms, good dining options, good facilities). I don't know if you care for either of these two things, but if you want an onsite fitness center or hot tub, the Polynesian has neither. Every other Deluxe resort has both.

The dining plan really is more of a pain than anything else. I don't like it at all, and you can come out even (or ahead) by just paying out of pocket and dining as you wish.

You don't need a bunch of ADRs. Don't believe that. If you have a smart phone, simply use Disney's mobile dining site to make ADRs "on the fly." We have been very successful with doing this the past few trips, and we've never missed out on any places we wanted to eat. As long as you can be flexible, and open minded, you will always find a place to eat when you need one. The site is m.disneyworld.com. Click on "make dining reservations" and get a feel for how this works before you are on your trip. You can "practice" at home.

The dining plan makes you have to think too much, and plan too much ahead. It kills spontaneity. And, it's so annoying to want a snack, and have to keep asking "is this a snack on the dining plan?" I just prefer eating where I want, when I want, and what I want, and not having to worry about credits.

We visited in May last year, and the beginning of April the year before that. The best thing I can say about that time period is that the weather is amazing! And, the Flower and Garden festival is going on at Epcot, which is a nice plus.

KatieDuck22
01-10-2012, 08:56 AM
Hi there!
I recommend total paradise at the polynesian resort! Of course it's personal preferece but it absulotely the most relaxing little bubble of beauty. haha. anyways the wilderness lodge is also great but it's not attatched to the monorail...which makes traveling so much easier. anywho the poly have monorail, bus, and boat transportation and is super easy to get around, plus both of the pools, and everything else on the grounds feels like paradise.
Eating on the fly is a ball! I like that the most because it usually means less time at a table and more time in the parks! sooo i would recommend eating around the world at epcot! sample some of their quick service items, and watch illuminaions one night. If your going to make any reservations at all, ya gotta try to get Ohana's at the polynesion...or whispering canyon at the wilderness lodge because they're both so much fun!!!
Hope your trip is magical, april's a great time to go:D:mickey:

disneykidsince1970
01-10-2012, 10:43 AM
Welcome Home :thumbsup:

Welcome Back !! :mickey:

I agree to icks-nay the dining plan. It is a lot of pressure on the trip to make sure you are getting your money's worth! I did it once and we found ourselves constantly thinking about it.... and in the end, we ate MORE than we would have - just b/c we could. not good. :ack:

All resorts are FAB. If you are going for quiet and relaxing and will enjoy a bit of a break from the "volume" so to speak, I agree with previous post at Wilderness Lodge.

Full scale luxe is Grand Fla.

Classic Disney is Contemp or Poly. As much as I love Poly (traditionally my fave), I would go for Contemp in your situation (2 adults looking for romantic relaxation). Being able to take a short walk back to your resort from MK cannot be over-valued at the end of the night!!

Thanks for your service. Very much.

LVT
01-10-2012, 06:18 PM
You mentioned Nursing. Swan or Dolphin have have been reported to have great "nurse" rates.

LilHooligan74
01-10-2012, 06:59 PM
They do and we looked into that. The rate at Coronado for the conference was great also. We have decided on the Wilderness Lodge. Very 'cited as our DDs say. Chose that in part due to price and ambience we were looking for. Also I was able to do club level at WL and take her to Discovery Cove while we are there for what it would cost to stay at poynesian or conteporary. Thank you to everyone for your advice and help!!!
About the modes of transportation, I dont mind the lack of a monorail. As long as I plan accordingly we can still use it when applicable. Plus sometimes it is more the journey than the destination. Just Booked it today!!! Thanks to Karen at Magical Journeys, absolutely amazingly helpful.

faline
01-10-2012, 07:02 PM
Also I was able to do club level at WL

We did club level at Wilderness Lodge twice. I'm sure you'll love it! We certainly feel like we got our money's worth out of the Club Level offerings!

Glad you used Magic Journeys! Those folks are just the best!! :thumbsup:

LilHooligan74
03-06-2012, 08:08 PM
Alright. All plans have been set. Time off has been requested and approved. Final Payment made. :party:Vacation Kitty has a healthy head start. Again a shout out to Karen and Magical Journeys staff.:number1: By far the best in the business!!
Now what to do, what to do.
49 DAYS!!!!!!

AmandaChan
03-07-2012, 03:17 PM
You mentioned Nursing. Swan or Dolphin have have been reported to have great "nurse" rates.

Oh yeah, I've heard you get a discount for being a nurse. Do you know what kind?

smokester653
03-07-2012, 04:52 PM
Congrats on final payment!! Can i stow away in the trunk??:blush:

LilHooligan74
03-09-2012, 03:37 AM
Congrats on final payment!! Can i stow away in the trunk??:blush:
I guess so, since I have to pretty much pass by you...:drive: Don't know if the boss lady will approve