PDA

View Full Version : Best time to buy plane tickets?

mom2morgan
01-08-2012, 12:21 PM
I'm trying to find the magic formula - the cheapest tickets are 'x' number of months before you plan to fly. Specifically, prices for our flights in September are high right now, and I've noticed there are often sales a little closer in....but is there any semi-predictable pattern to this?

BrerGnat
01-08-2012, 12:28 PM
The general consensus in the travel industry is 4-6 weeks ahead of travel dates is the best window to purchase.

At the 6 week point, start looking on Wednesday mornings for the best airfare. It's always lowest on Wed mornings.

Also, it's good to sign up for fare alerts, or sale email alerts for the airlines you prefer, from the home airport you prefer. I do this with a number of airlines so I am always notified of their sales right when they start. :thumbsup:

TinkerbellT421
01-08-2012, 03:19 PM
DBF and I personally found the best deal for sw flights were the day they are released, as early as possible. We purchase within the hour they are released have been the cheapest. By the next couple of hours the go up. They were cheap again last week but I personally wouldn't wait that long or rather short term before flying. But that's personal preference. We leave in 13 days so that would be three weeks before leaving. Too close for me lol but we keep an eye out to see what we should do and in the last four years the hour they are released for our flight is the cheapest. We are signed up for ding on sw so we get the email ahead before they release for our flight days

BrerGnat
01-08-2012, 04:21 PM
Southwest and Jet Blue are exceptions. They typically release their lowest fares first and as seats sell out, they get more expensive. SW will offer ding fares or sales when they need to fill up a flight.

jillluvsdisney
01-08-2012, 05:06 PM
I've read from various sorces that Tuesday afternoon is the best time.

Jillirose
01-08-2012, 05:37 PM
We usually buy ours 6 months out. They tend to start low and then go up, then sometimes down closer to our date. We are from MI and need reasonable airfare to plan a trip and can't wait, so the earlier we can book is best. Also, I hate to fly and want nonstop flights, which seem to disappear as time goes on.