PDA

View Full Version : Wild Africa Trek..Should we do it?

mouseketeer mom
01-08-2012, 08:02 AM
Would love some advice on this. We enjoy tours at WDW, we haven't done this one, mostly because of cost. Who has done it and is it "worth it"? Thinking of doing this with my kids (ages 17, 15, and 12), while my husband is working in Jacksonville during our trip. So it would be just the four of us for this one. I think it sounds great, but simply pricey!!! Tell me all about it!

BelleBeauty
01-08-2012, 03:13 PM
We have not done the Wild Trek tour but recently did the Backstage Safari. We did see people going out on the Wild Trek and it is certainly the tour that Disney is pushing the most at AK. While on Kilamanjaro Safaris we saw a group out in the savannah overlooking all of the nile crocodiles. It certainly looks like you get really up close and personal with the attraction. I think everyone gets vests with water bottles and everything to wear during the tour (not sure if you get to keep them).

If price is an issue, we really loved our Backstage safari. It was 3.5 hours. We met outside the entrance and were lead around by a member of the educational team. She talked about the animals in the Oasis and then we went backstage. We drove to the rhino enclosure and met with the keeper there and saw a 2100 lb male rhino. We then went and talked to the elephant keeper (all of the elephants were out on stage). We went into the kitchens where they prepare all animal meals. We went into Rafiki's Planet watch back stage and saw a snake having surgery and all of the technical equipment. Our guide then took us on Kilamnjaro. She says during slower times she gets a ride vehicle all to herself for the tour (only 8 of us) and can tell us more behind-the-scenes secrets. It was really crowded when we were there so we had to ride a standard vehicle, but she was still able to show us some secrets. We really loved the tour - though interactions with animals and keepers aren't guaranteed.

Hope this helps!!

NJGIRL
01-08-2012, 07:08 PM
That's almost $800 for the four of you for 3 hours. We haven't done it yet, but we may be doing it in Oct when it is just me and my husband. It's something I have wanted to do since it started but haven't because of the money plus my son doesn't like heights. I am having a hard time with the $400. If I had to shell out $800 we probably wouldn't be doing it.

cuteduck223
01-08-2012, 11:38 PM
you do get a photopass CD with the tour. My husband really enjoyed it when he went (i took our DD2 to a princess breakfast instead) We had already prepaid for our photopass, so we got the photopass, plus $100 in photopass credit.

I imagine if you booked 4 people, you could check with Disney, at the very least--you'd have a TON of extra money to spend on the photopass site--so you could utilize photopass on the trip and have a ton of great shots...Ornaments, christmas cards, water bottles, whatever :)

NJGIRL
01-09-2012, 08:43 AM
you do get a photopass CD with the tour. My husband really enjoyed it when he went (i took our DD2 to a princess breakfast instead) We had already prepaid for our photopass, so we got the photopass, plus $100 in photopass credit.

I imagine if you booked 4 people, you could check with Disney, at the very least--you'd have a TON of extra money to spend on the photopass site--so you could utilize photopass on the trip and have a ton of great shots...Ornaments, christmas cards, water bottles, whatever :)

Can you clear this up for me? When I spoke with the Disney rep over the phone about the tour, she told me we got a CD with pictures on it from the tour. She never mentioned it was for the whole trip. Are they giving you a CD that includes pictures from the whole trip? She also didn't mention that if we booked more than one person that we would get any kind of credit for the CD.

Anyway, how did your husband like the tour? It looks like alot of fun!

mouseketeer mom
01-09-2012, 11:42 AM
I went ahead and booked it. I researched and read reviews from many different sites, and I haven't read one negative. Each review raves about it and mentions the cost and that this tour is totally worth it. So we're set! I think it will be an amazing experience for myself and my kids together. I'll let everyone know how it goes!

cuteduck223
01-09-2012, 02:42 PM
Can you clear this up for me? When I spoke with the Disney rep over the phone about the tour, she told me we got a CD with pictures on it from the tour. She never mentioned it was for the whole trip. Are they giving you a CD that includes pictures from the whole trip? She also didn't mention that if we booked more than one person that we would get any kind of credit for the CD.

Anyway, how did your husband like the tour? It looks like alot of fun!

Yes, you get the photos from the tour..but it's just a paid photopass card, so when you load the card onto the photopass site, it also loads the cost of the photopass CD as a credit.

That means you can utilize photopass all over the park, and add them all to the same account.

My husband LOVED the trek. He really enjoys trying new foods, so the "snack" was really enjoyable for him too.

NJGIRL
01-10-2012, 02:57 PM
He really enjoys trying new foods, so the "snack" was really enjoyable for him too.

Oh No, that doesn't sound good.

Thanks for answering the photo pass question.