PDA

View Full Version : Tidbits January 2012

Figment!
01-07-2012, 12:13 PM
Tidbits
January 2012

Pardon our Pixie Dust

1/25/12 The Magic Kingdom park has announced that the opening date for the new Dumbo attraction has been delayed approximately 4 weeks. The new attraction is now scheduled to open March 12, 2012. It is currently unclear if these changes will result in a full opening of the new attraction on March 12th or if the previously reported phased opening schedule will remain.

10/23/11 Cast close to the construction project have reported that the February 18th opening will only be a partial opening of the new Dumbo attraction in Storybook Circus. The full attraction will reportedly open Summer 2012.

10/14/11 The Magic Kingdom park has announced that Dumbo the Flying Elephant will close for re-location on January 9, 2012. The ride system will be incorporated into the new Dumbo attraction as part of the Fantasyland expansion project. The new Dumbo attraction in Storybook Circus has been announced to open on February 18, 2012.

Please Don't Mine the Changes

1/25/11 The current multi-month refurbishment of Big Thunder Mountain Railroad will reportedly bring significant changes to the attraction's queue. Those close to the project have reported that the queue will be restructured and receive several thematic additions when the attraction re-opens on May 28, 2012 . The new additions will reportedly add to the "mining" back story of the attraction.

Re-Making the Marketplace

1/25/12 The Downtown Disney Marketplace has recently started three refurbishment projects. Wolfgang Puck Express has closed its outdoor seating area for a refurbishment project. The counter service dining location has announced that it will enclose the current seating area with a new sun room. It was further announced that the sun room will be converted to an open-air enclosure during the warmer weather months. The new seating area is scheduled to open Mid-February 2012. The Basin store has closed for a major refurbishment. The location will re-open in Mid-Mach 2012 with a newly designed interior. Rainforest Cafe has started a major renovation of the restaurant's exterior. In addition to the exterior cosmetic changes, the restaurant will open a new lounge in Fall 2012. Wolfgang Puck Express and Rainforest Cafe are operating normally during the refurbishments.

A Tasty Test

1/25/12 The Lunch Buffet test at the Pepper Market has been extended indefinitely. The current cost of the Lunch buffet is $16.99 Guests 10 and up and $9.99 for Guest Ages 3-9. Although an end date has not been announced, Resort Cast have reported that the new buffet offering has not become a permanent offering yet.

12/7/11 The Pepper Market food court at Disney’s Coronado Springs resort is testing a Breakfast and Lunch buffet now through January 4, 2012. As a result of the trial offering, Maya Grill will cease breakfast service during this time period.

The Seas with Nemo and FASTPASS

1/25/12 Epcot Cast have reported that The Seas with Nemo and Friends attraction in Future World will be adding a FASTPASS option in Spring 2012. Cast have reported that a FASTPASS distribution area is currently being constructed near the front of the pavilion and the queue will soon undergo a minor refurbishment to add a FASTPASS queue.

Referbaroni

1/25/12 Epcot Cast have reported that the Tutto Italia Ristorante refurbishment has been extended. The new opening date has been announced as April 28, 2012.

1/11/12 Tutto Italia Ristorante in Epcot’s Italy pavilion closed for a multi-month refurbishment on January 8, 2012. Epcot Cast have reported that multi-month refurbishment include remodeling the restaurant interior and adding a new wine bar. The new wine bar will be called “Gusto” and specialize in Italian wines. The dining location is scheduled to reopen from refurbishment on April 2, 2012.

Route Construction

1/11/12 Due to walkway construction, the Magic Kingdom’s parade offerings will be altered in Late Winter 2012. From January 20 – February 10, 2012; the Main Street Electrical parade will not be offered and the Celebrate a Dream Come True Parade will use an abridged route. During this time period, the afternoon parade will begin in Town Square, travel down Main Street, turn through the Hub, travel back down Main Street, and end in Town Square.

Let them Eat Cake

1/11/12The Magic Kingdom has introduced a new Princess themed Birthday party package. Cinderella’s Royal Table restaurant now offers the Her Royal Highness Birthday Package that includes a Disney Princess balloon centerpiece, a tiara, and a 6-inch cake. Guests may choose between a Ariel, Aurora, Belle, Cinderella or Tiana themed cake in ether chocolate or vanilla. The package is currently priced at $90 plus tax and gratuity. Guests may book this package via 407-824-4477 or [email protected]. Reservations for this package must be made 7 days in advance.

Additionally, Guests can now order a 6” double-layer cake from babycakesNYC to any Walt Disney World Resort table service restaurant. babycakesNYC specializes in organic, gluten-free pastries. Guests can place their order with babycakesNYC directly via 407-938-9044 between 9:30 am and 11:00 pm daily. Guests must have a current Advance Dining Reservation to add the dessert to their meal and must place the order 7 days in advance.

Lights of Love

1/11/12 Entertainment Cast have reported that Magic Kingdom’s nightly Castle Light show will receive a Valentine’s holiday segment this February. The Magic, the Memories, and You will add a new romance themed segment starting February 3, 2012. It has not been reported when the special holiday segment will end, but it is expected to end shortly after February 14th.

Re-Mapping the Kingdom

1/7/12 The Magic Kingdom park has recently changed its Park Guide and Times & Events Guide format. The parade map has been removed from the Park Guide and added to the Times & Events Guide. As a result, the Times & Event Guide is now a 4-page folding pamphlet.

Fantasyland Fall-Out

1/7/12 As a result of expanding Fantasyland construction, the Magic Kingdom Winnie the Pooh Meet and Greet has been relocated. The Meet & Greet has been temporarily re-located to Town Square on Main Street USA.

Ice Cream Freeze

1/7/12 The popular Plaza Ice Cream Parlor on Magic Kindgom’s Main Street USA closed earlier this week for the duration of Winter 2012. From January 4 – March 27, 2012 the dining location is closed for refurbishment. Neither the reason for the multi-month closure, nor alternative offerings during the closure have been reported.

Wi-Free

1/7/12 The Walt Disney World resort has recently expanded its complimentary Wi-Fi service to public areas of three moderate category resorts. Complimentary Wi-Fi service is now available in the lobby and feature pool areas of Disney’s Caribbean Beach Resort, Disney’s Port Orleans-French Quarter Resort, and Disney’s Port Orleans-Riverside Resort.

Jeff
01-07-2012, 12:38 PM
Thanks for the updates!

TinkerbellT421
01-07-2012, 03:37 PM
Thanks for the updates!!!

DisneyorBust
01-07-2012, 06:45 PM
Appreciate the updates! :thumbsup:

ibelieveindisneymagic
01-07-2012, 06:54 PM
Thanks for the updates!

The MK Times Guide is starting to get quite thick, isn't it?

sgdisney
01-07-2012, 10:26 PM
Thanks for the info. I'm at POR right now and running off their free guest wifi in my room.

vizsla
01-08-2012, 07:25 AM
Thanks for the updates.

PopPhan
01-08-2012, 10:37 AM
Please correct me if I am wrong about this....The "free WiFi" now covers all but the Value resorts in, at least, public areas - Lobby & Feature Pool areas - correct? :thumbsup:

I expect that Art of Animation may have "free WiFi" in those areas upon opening, but haven't seen anything mentioned to that effect as of yet.

It would be nice to be able to take photos/videos during the day, then be able to dump them to 'the cloud' before bed!!! :D

Dyanna
01-09-2012, 10:09 AM
is there any plan to expand wi-fi to the parks themselves? My cell phone is only good for texting but my Ipod Touch is only good if there is Wi-fi in the area.

DisneyPrincess21
01-09-2012, 01:41 PM
Free wifi at POFQ?! Hot dog! It's about time Disney caught up with the rest of the hotels and offered free wifi. Now i will be able to enjoy using my wifi only ipad on my upcoming trip!

:cloud9:13 days & counting :cloud9:

pdrlkr
01-09-2012, 03:32 PM
Thanks Jason! :thumbsup: :mickey:

Figment!
01-11-2012, 10:46 PM
**Update**

vizsla
01-12-2012, 04:44 AM
Thanks for the updates.

TracyL
01-12-2012, 10:19 AM
Do we know if anything interesting is happening to Thunder Mountain? January to late May seems like a long down-time for a regular spit-shine and polish refurb....

Figment!
01-12-2012, 12:07 PM
Do we know if anything interesting is happening to Thunder Mountain? January to late May seems like a long down-time for a regular spit-shine and polish refurb.... No planned changes have been reported.

There have been Guest reports citing that many of the effects are not working, so the length of the refurb might entail significant fixes to these items.

magicofdisney
01-12-2012, 01:40 PM
I too am excited about the free wi-fi. Our iPads are wi-fi only. If coverage extends to some rooms, even better!

Hammer
01-12-2012, 06:06 PM
Excited about the new wine bar :wine: !

beksy
01-14-2012, 08:28 PM
Thanks for the updates!

Figment!
01-15-2012, 09:57 AM
Updated response:

Do we know if anything interesting is happening to Thunder Mountain? January to late May seems like a long down-time for a regular spit-shine and polish refurb....

Those close to the project have reported that the queue will be restructured and receive several thematic additions. It has not been confirmed, but it was reportedly planned at one time; that the new queue would also feature a few interactive elements as part of the recent initiative.

Figment!
01-25-2012, 01:12 PM
**Update**

Melanie
01-25-2012, 03:27 PM
I've been needing to get my eyes checked for a couple of years now, so surely they are deceiving me today when I read they are adding FP to Nemo? What? :confused:

Honestly, that's the most baffling thing I've read in a long time. There is NEVER a line there.

DizneyFreak2002
01-25-2012, 05:03 PM
I've been needing to get my eyes checked for a couple of years now, so surely they are deceiving me today when I read they are adding FP to Nemo? What? :confused:

Honestly, that's the most baffling thing I've read in a long time. There is NEVER a line there.

They love to throw money at things that are not needed and keep the wallets closed for budgets on things that ARE needed...

Scar
01-25-2012, 05:06 PM
Look at the bright side. We'll all get to see these nice blue plastic covers over rectangular boxes every time we walk by.

magicofdisney
01-25-2012, 05:32 PM

I'm not knocking CoP because I LOVE it, however this is how I felt when they offered FP for that attraction.

Figment!
01-25-2012, 06:05 PM
Honestly, that's the most baffling thing I've read in a long time. There is NEVER a line there. It's been speculated that the addition is a proactive toward the Summer-long Test Track closure.

It's been speculated that this addition will keep the physical queue shortened and help mitigate earlier Fastpass sell-outs on the remaining Fastpass attractions.

faline
01-25-2012, 06:19 PM

I had the same exact reaction - except I know my eyes are bad!!!

Altair
01-25-2012, 06:20 PM
Nemo and Friends or Nemo the Musical?

faline
01-25-2012, 06:31 PM

I had the same exact reaction!!

Ian
01-25-2012, 07:46 PM
Honestly, that's the most baffling thing I've read in a long time. There is NEVER a line there.I know ... I felt like I was reading NEWS OF THE WEIRD or something. :confused:

They love to throw money at things that are not needed and keep the wallets closed for budgets on things that ARE needed...Amen, brutha.

PopPhan
01-25-2012, 08:11 PM
OK, Mel, Ian, John, Gary, Carol, et. alii.....

There's your next podcast theme -- Things That Make You Go....??????????

Melanie
01-25-2012, 08:18 PM
It's been speculated that the addition is a proactive toward the Summer-long Test Track closure.

It's been speculated that this addition will keep the physical queue shortened and help mitigate earlier Fastpass sell-outs on the remaining Fastpass attractions.

Even with this as a factor, I still don't see it. :confused:

DizneyFreak2002
01-25-2012, 11:22 PM
I know ... I felt like I was reading NEWS OF THE WEIRD or something. :confused:

Amen, brutha.

I will preach it til I am blue in the face... :)

Epcot needs help... And they waste money on FP for Nemo...

vizsla
01-26-2012, 02:48 AM
Thanks for the updates.

EeyoresBestFriend
01-26-2012, 11:16 PM

:confused: :confused:

I was thinking the same thing ~ the lines have been almost none existent the last couple of trips I went on. And IMHO, bypassing the whole beach to under water theme is a shame.

DizneyFreak2002
01-27-2012, 12:48 AM
Not only is Nemo getting FP, but Spaceship Earth and, *GASP FOR AIR* Imagination may also be getting FP.... :confused:

Mousemates
01-27-2012, 09:01 AM
Not only is Nemo getting FP, but Spaceship Earth and, *GASP FOR AIR* Imagination may also be getting FP.... :confused:

while I personally agree with the sentiments...fastpasses for imagination would be welcomed by my DD (now 19)...who fell in love with one of the older versions of the ride as a toddler (it had to do with the dreamfinder I think)...she would view fastpass machines as a verification that the ride is actually better than I (and the rest of our family) say that it is.

crltkcagle
01-29-2012, 10:50 PM
Thanks for the updates. And I am with you fp for nemo!?!?!?!