PDA

View Full Version : Splitting Stay/Dining Plan

disneynarula
01-07-2012, 11:39 AM
We are going to be splitting our stay between on site and off. We are spending two weeks in Florida. The plan is to buy 10 day park hoppers and spend the other four days at other Orlando Attractions. We will be spending the last five night on Disney Property and want to buy the dining plan for those days. We will be spending those days only at Disney and only eating at Disney Resorts.

Is the dining plan associated with your room or your tickets?

VWL Mom
01-07-2012, 12:04 PM
The DDP is linked to your room reservation. I may be wrong but I thought in order to get the DDP you need to purchase at least a 1 day park ticket to make a MYW package. If the first part of your stay was on-site then you get your 10 day PH ticket to make the package but I'm not sure how it works in reverse.

mom2morgan
01-07-2012, 12:07 PM
That is correct. We looked into that for split stay and couldnt' do it - the cost of getting even a one day park ticket with our second room reservation cost more than the DDP was worth.

Pirate Granny
01-07-2012, 07:01 PM
I have an annual pass, and now you need to buy a two day park pass...I save them and use when I bring my daughter along.

disneynarula
01-09-2012, 07:07 AM
I thought you could buy it if you had an annual pass???? I am not talking about gettting the free dining plan offer. I just want to buy the dining package?

DizneyRox
01-09-2012, 07:17 AM
Yes, AP holders can purchase the inning plan. You it however be better off getting the tables in wonderland card as an AP holder.

I've always found it to be a better deal, the 20% adds up quickly with today's meal prices, even the two of us have broken even after a couple of days. With a group, even one meal an put you ahead of the game.

disneynarula
01-09-2012, 09:30 AM
I agree that Tables in Wonderland is a better value, especially the way we eat. We never get the most expensive thing on the menu. I am also usually willing to split a meal with someone.

My only concern is with my DH. He is very "thrifty", to put it nicely. I am worried that once we get there he will want to pack sandwiches for lunch and dinner every day and night. We live in Europe now and travel quite a bit. We pack lunches and generally cook dinners in our rental house (too thrifty for a hotel) every night. In the three years we have lived here we've only eaten out on a trip once and that was because my FIL paid for dinner.

I want to be assured that I won't be cooking on our trip to WDW. I don't want to sound like a snob but I don't want to eat brown bag lunches either. I want a real VACATION. I don't mind eating breakfast in the room but I don't want to fix anything besides cereal.

When we have the dining plan I know we will be eating out the whole trip. I also know the kids will get to have a treat every day. I don't want his head to explode every time the kids ask for a Mickey Bar or Popcorn.

DizneyRox
01-09-2012, 11:06 AM
Remember though, the dining plan is like $45+ per person per day. My head would explode paying that.

Make sure you have dining reservations done before committing to the dining plan, because if you don't have any place to eat, it could be hard getting value out of it. Don't use TS credit for breakfast, and try not to use them for lunch either. Even with the food prices, you can find yourself not getting very good value out of the dining plan pretty easily.

Fangorn
01-09-2012, 12:56 PM
I don't want his head to explode ...

I understand your thought process now, and there might be another option. Get the TIW card, but instead of actually paying for the DDP, buy a Disney gift card with the amount you would spend on the DDP. Then use the gift card for all meals. There won't be the same sense of 'loss' when paying for a meal. You'll also have the added advantage of being able to choose anything you want (appetizers but not dessert, for example) and include any alcoholic beverages and the tip all in one payment. On the DDP, you still have to pay separately for the tip and any appetizers or alcohol - which could still cause an explosion. ;)

We've found this to be the best of both worlds. The psychological aspect of pre-payment is there, but we still have the freedom to eat exactly how we please. And if there's anything left on the card (and there always is) it's used at DTD on the day we leave.

Steve
:mickey:

disneynarula
01-11-2012, 09:48 AM
I just want to know if I can buy it without having to buy a park hopper if I have an annual pass. I know it's not a good value. I never thought it was.

TinkerbellT421
01-11-2012, 11:12 AM
The only time you need to purchase a ticket with the dinning plan is if it is a "package deal" type promotion. But if you are paying rack room or just room discount and not a "Magic your way" package or whatever they call it these days then Yes you can purchase the dinning plan without a ticket pruchase. (I dont remember if you posted this question but just in case lol) The dinning plan is based on your night number of stays at the resort. So basically to answer your question in a short answer. You dinning plan purchase is connected to your resort stay not you tckets. So if you are staying 5 days, its for those five days only. Hope this helps. You do have to add the dinning plan to your reservation prior to arrival however. You can pay for it when you arrive but it has to be added to your reservation by phone I forget how many days prior to arrival.