PDA

View Full Version : Re-Imagined Test Track To Open Fall 2012

Figment!
01-06-2012, 10:31 AM
Disney and General Motors Renew Alliance, Continue the Drive to Create Magic for Guests at a Re-Imagined Test Track Experience Presented by Chevrolet

Two of the world’s most recognized brands extend an alliance that will create a new experience for millions of Guests at Epcot.

Walt Disney World Resort Press Release
January 6, 2012

LAKE BUENA VISTA, Fla. – Disney and General Motors have renewed their long-term business relationship with a new multi-year corporate alliance.

As part of the new alliance, GM will be actively involved with Walt Disney Imagineering in the development of a re-imagined, design-centric Test Track experience. The refurbished Test Track will be presented by one of GM’s most famous brands, Chevrolet. As Chevrolet marks its 100th anniversary, the new alliance agreement enables General Motors to tell its story in new and exciting ways to millions of Guests from around the world and continue as the official vehicle sponsor of Walt Disney World Resort.

“We are excited to renew our long-term alliance with General Motors,” said George Aguel, Senior Vice President, Corporate Alliances for the Walt Disney Company. “This unique agreement extends collaboration between two of the most recognized brands in the world, a relationship that spans over 30 years. The re-imagined Test Track Presented by Chevrolet will continue our shared goal of providing unique and innovative experiences that engage Disney guests in exciting and interactive ways.” ”

“As a global brand, Chevrolet is looking forward to welcoming Guests from around the world to the re-imagined Test Track,” said Joel Ewanick, Global Chief Marketing Officer for General Motors. “The best of Disney and the best of Chevrolet will come together to bring Guests an immersive experience in the design process of the vehicles they see on the road today and will see in the future.”

Plans call for closing the current GM Test Track in April 2012, with an anticipated opening of Test Track Presented by Chevrolet scheduled for fall 2012.

As part of the re-imagining, the Future World attraction will feature a sleek new “Chevrolet Design Center at Epcot” immersing Guests in the fascinating world of automotive design. Amid upbeat music, engaging media, dramatic lighting and a collection of Chevrolet concept cars and model vehicles, guests themselves will become automotive designers – and peer into the future of personal transportation in the process.

At interactive design and styling workstations, Guests will be able to create their own custom concept vehicles. The adventure will then shift into high gear as Guests buckle into their 6-person “SimCar” ride vehicle and put their design through its paces on the exhilarating hills, switchbacks and straight-aways of the Test Track circuit.

Their performance testing complete, Guests will move into a post-show area filled with special effects and be scored on how well their custom concept vehicle did. And of course, Guests will be able see the very latest Chevrolet vehicles in an all-new state-of-the-art showroom.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Re-Imagined Test Track Will Put Guests in the Designer’s Seat This Fall at Epcot

by Jennifer Fickley-Baker, Social Media Manager
The Official Disney Parks Blog
January 6th, 2012

Beginning this fall, Epcot guests will be able to enjoy a re-imagined version of the popular Future World attraction, Test Track presented by Chevrolet.

This new version of the attraction will transform the current testing workshop into the sleek “Chevrolet Design Center at Epcot,” where guests can become immersed in the fun – and fast – world of automotive design. Here, guests will become automotive designers and create their own custom vehicles. Next, they’ll buckle into a six-person SimCar ride vehicle and test out their design on the challenging track of the Test Track course.

Afterward, guests can take a fascinating look into the future of transportation by viewing a collection of the latest Chevrolet vehicles in an all-new showroom.

This fun new experience is the result of a renewed, multi-year business relationship between Disney and General Motors, companies that have worked together for more than 30 years.

Figment!
01-06-2012, 10:38 AM
The rumours/reported information for the project and past discussion can be found in:

Test Track Refurb 2012 (http://www.intercot.com/discussion/showthread.php?t=183383)

brownie
01-06-2012, 10:41 AM
I hope it's up and running again in time for ICOT15!

Jared
01-06-2012, 10:50 AM
I hope it's up and running again in time for ICOT15!
From what I understand, the ride should be open sometime in September -- easily in time for the INTERCOT event.

BrerGnat
01-06-2012, 01:10 PM
Didn't the Chevy Volt just undergo a massive recall? As I understand, the "new" Test Track cars are supposed to look like the Volt (the front end, at least).

Nice timing...:rolleyes:

Butters
01-06-2012, 01:33 PM
Do they know when test track will be going down for this?

Boost
01-06-2012, 02:10 PM
Is it just me or is the new name a bit wordy?

Giggy
01-06-2012, 06:14 PM
Just to clarify, is this simulator thing an addition to the main ride such as a post-show thing? If so that sounds a pretty cool thing to add. :mickey:

Presumably it isn't a direct replacement of the real thing with a simulator. :confused:

Figment!
01-06-2012, 08:13 PM
Do they know when test track will be going down for this? Official dates have not been publicly announced yet; however, Attraction Cast have reported that the closure dates are tentatively April 15 - September 21, 2012.

Just to clarify, is this simulator thing an addition to the main ride such as a post-show thing? "SimCar" is just a new name for the existing ride vehicle. Besides some cosmetic changes, the ride vehicles will reportedly be unaffected.

pdrlkr
01-09-2012, 03:33 PM
Thanks Jason! :thumbsup: :mickey:

John
01-09-2012, 04:07 PM
Am I the only one who thinks April to Fall is a pretty short time span for major changes?

Anyway, here's hoping that it doesn't turn out like Spaceship Earth with a lot of black curtains.

Ian
01-09-2012, 04:45 PM
Am I the only one who thinks April to Fall is a pretty short time span for major changes?

Anyway, here's hoping that it doesn't turn out like Spaceship Earth with a lot of black curtains.No, you're definitely not the only one. I see a lot of black curtains in our future.

BrerGnat
01-09-2012, 04:53 PM
No, you're definitely not the only one. I see a lot of black curtains in our future.

My guess is not only black curtains, but projector screens as well. :rolleyes:

Ian
01-09-2012, 05:32 PM
My guess is not only black curtains, but projector screens as well. :rolleyes:And little keypads with poorly designed buttons that will look shabby after six months of hard use.

DizneyRox
01-09-2012, 07:50 PM
Considering they can't keep it from breaking down for more than an hour at a time, I think the only change were likely to see is possibly some new audio and cardboard cutouts along the track.

It took three years to get it to the point we have now, there no way they can muster a real rehab in that short of a time span.

TracyL
01-09-2012, 08:15 PM
I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt until I see it, but then, I'm not a fan of the attraction as it stands now....

Figment!
01-09-2012, 09:28 PM
Am I the only one who thinks April to Fall is a pretty short time span for major changes? I am making the assumption that the "major" changes will be more to the story of the attraction than the ride's physical aspects.

The story will be focused on Guests "designing" their own car and then taking it for testing on the test course rather than just touring the test facility and becoming testing volunteers.

It sounds as if the queue will be considerably different and the shell of the ride vehicles will change, but the ride scenes themselves will probably be unaltered.

The queue is almost an empty set with several exhibits in it now, those can probably be cleared out and new "design-based"exhibits installed and tested with-in several months.

Goes4FastPass
01-10-2012, 01:15 PM
This ride already is very popular - one of those get there early and get a Fastpass rides.

And even with a Fastpass there's a too long process of gather in front of the doors to wait to enter the room to watch the video - then the video, then finally the last queue before you get to do what makes TrestTrack great - ride.

Now it looks like they're going to close the attraction for 6 months over the whole summer to change everything except the ride itself.

This entire refurb sounds like it is 100%about amping up the GM advertisement aspect and calling that some sort of "guest experience enhancement".

Sponsored by GM. Thank you GM. We love you GM. Now can we please just ride?

DizneyFreak2002
01-10-2012, 10:44 PM
The post show and the queue are getting the major changes... 6 months will not get us any major show scene changes... although, I don't expect them to remain completely the same either... Just not expecting anything major...

mom2mickeyfan
01-12-2012, 08:26 AM
My DS is going to be VERY disappointed in June!! I'm thinking we may even skip Epcot this year! Why do this during the busy summer season?? I can't imagine how bad the lines are going to be for Soarin' this summer!! :faint:

troy0228
01-15-2012, 08:44 PM
I think there is not enough time to make many changes to the ride, but I also hope they do not mess it up like they did with Space Ship Earth. When the refurb of Space Ship Earth was done by Siemens it was a bad ride after the work was done, when AT&T had the ride it was a cool ride with lots to see. Test Track is a great ride so why fix what is not broke, I just hope it is not messed up and still retains the core test track thrills with some new upgrades. :mickey: :elvis:

Briansmom
01-18-2012, 12:10 AM
This entire refurb sounds like it is 100%about amping up the GM advertisement aspect and calling that some sort of "guest experience enhancement".

Sponsored by GM. Thank you GM. We love you GM. Now can we please just ride?

Amen and Amen! :car:

ColleenMcD
01-19-2012, 06:35 PM
Funny - I think the last time I was at Disney - 14 years ago - the Test Track was being built..so I've never ridden it! Doesn't look like I'll be riding it this time either! Oh well, maybe in 14 more years I'll get a chance!:mickey:

TexansInNY
01-20-2012, 10:08 AM
My favorite ride - glad we will be there in March and December this year! :mickey:

btharvey
01-20-2012, 01:15 PM
With the designs complete before you start, I can see redoing the ride itself with cosmetic changes (major scenery changes dialogue changes but not the actual activity itself). The queue and surrounding area would be wonderful if more is interactive.

One of the things I don't like is having the queue be passive (look, listen, don't touch) and only the things you can touch after the ride. I think if you can work your way down the queue while actively interacting with items, you won't notice the time as much.

But anyway, can't wait to see, hear, feel it!

darthmacho
01-20-2012, 02:44 PM
I don't disagree with the refurb, but I'm bummed that it's going to happen this summer. It really changes the dynamic in Future World as far as the other attractions go, which will all get bogged down with longer lines, I'm sure. I'm spending extra time in Epcot this year, so this is unfortunate. Oh well. :(

ronandjulie
01-20-2012, 04:25 PM
The close Test Track for the summer, but Journey still chugs along untouched. Amazing.

mouseketeer mom
01-22-2012, 03:17 PM
I am having trouble following what is going to be happening. The designing your ride part in the beginning, then testing your design..does this mean each ride will be different? What am I missing?

PopPhan
01-22-2012, 03:32 PM
I am having trouble following what is going to be happening. The designing your ride part in the beginning, then testing your design..does this mean each ride will be different? What am I missing?

It sounds like, in pre-show, you will design a vehicle...
Once that is done, you will take the ride - as it is currently...
Once your ride is over, in post-show, there will be an area that you can see a simulation of the vehicle you created in some 'real life' testing situations.

The ride itself is not undergoing changes other than updates/upgrades to the cars.

big blue and hairy
01-23-2012, 05:22 PM
Didn't the Chevy Volt just undergo a massive recall? As I understand, the "new" Test Track cars are supposed to look like the Volt (the front end, at least).

Nice timing...:rolleyes:
I just heard something on the news about the Volt being cleared of fault in some fires. Also, if the front end is the one they are slowly rolling out now, it looks like a lot of Chevys.

:sulley:

DizneyFreak2002
01-29-2012, 11:53 AM
The close Test Track for the summer, but Journey still chugs along untouched. Amazing.

Sponsorship has a lot to do with this... If GM wasn't paying, Test Track wouldn't be touched... Imagination no longer has a sponsor...

With that said, someone elsewhere said they heard the Magic, memories and You projection technology may be used in the new attraction... Images may be projected onto your ride vehicle... How this would work, I have no idea... I don't like the sound of that to be honest... The projections are great on the castle (Magic Memories and You, in my opinion, is a great show)... I just don't see how this would work in an attraction where the lights are bright...

darthmacho
02-01-2012, 06:24 PM
Maybe Intercot should sponsor Imagination? We could all throw in a few bucks...right? :spend:

tinkman
02-02-2012, 06:37 AM
There are six to a car. I'm trying understand how an interactive ride would involve possibly six strangers. Imagine if you went over to Innovations for the Sum of All Thrills and had 6 strangers involved in the design of your ride. I don't see how they could take a relatively fast loading ride, give you a say in customizing the ride and sending you out on the track. Seems to me that it would make more sense, especially from an engineering aspect, to make it more like the Tower of Terror, where you may actually experience some of the other terrains and options mentioned in the pre-show.

RedSoxandPatsfan
02-12-2012, 09:25 AM
We are planning to be there 4/16 thru 4/22. I keep checking Disney's parks hours page and nothing is listed as far as the ride going down for refurb.

Is it possible, since it is mainly the queue and the post show that's affected, they will keep the ride open while much of the work is being done? Seems like there is enough room outside to make a temporary lines with ropes while closing off part of the building. Same would go for the exit. Board up most of the area and just have a walkway to the outside.

Quadstriker
02-19-2012, 03:45 PM
There are six to a car. I'm trying understand how an interactive ride would involve possibly six strangers. Imagine if you went over to Innovations for the Sum of All Thrills and had 6 strangers involved in the design of your ride.

This is exactly what I've been trying to wrap my head around. 6 people design a car? 1 person designs the car and the rest live it it? Everyone votes on how to design the car? One person's design is chosen at random? Honestly none of that sounds good to me.

mgmnut
02-23-2012, 08:48 AM
How does GM justify the cost of a refurb, didn't they take the bailout because they were going broke not too long ago?

We will be there the last week of Aug. We will be looking at longer lines for Soarin and Mission Space due to the closing of a Major Attraction

DizneyFreak2002
03-26-2012, 11:56 AM
We are only a few days away from April, 2012, and still no word from Disney as to what the official closing date is... Why??? Well, it is possible this refurb has been scrapped, or at least put on hold... Nothing certain as of yet as to what is really going on... Could be they still haven't finalized the details, or maybe making some changes (if so, hopefully for the better and not the cheaper), or maybe they figured they really can't take down TT during the summer...

Hopefully we have some sort of official word soon, or at least a confirmation of what is going on....

barnaby
03-26-2012, 12:26 PM
How does GM justify the cost of a refurb, didn't they take the bailout because they were going broke not too long ago?

I think GM paid back their bailout money.

RBrooksC
03-26-2012, 01:24 PM
My guess is six people will not design a car. You will design your own car as will everybody else. You will have a plastic card with a QR code or magnetic strip that stores the information of the car you designed.

Then you ride Test Track and the car you designed gets "tested." Once the ride is complete, you get off the ride and go to a kiosk and scan your card.

From there, the tests results for your design are given and, I would guess, an explanation as to why the vehicle either passed or failed the test.

Then you could get a print-out of the results or something of that nature.

zipadeedoodah
03-26-2012, 01:47 PM
We are only a few days away from April, 2012, and still no word from Disney as to what the official closing date is... Why??? Well, it is possible this refurb has been scrapped, or at least put on hold... Nothing certain as of yet as to what is really going on... Could be they still haven't finalized the details, or maybe making some changes (if so, hopefully for the better and not the cheaper), or maybe they figured they really can't take down TT during the summer...

Hopefully we have some sort of official word soon, or at least a confirmation of what is going on....

I've been wondering about this too. Originally it sounded like the update may be complete by my trip in September...now with no word on a refurb start date, I'm wondering if they will be waiting for the heavy summer crowds to clear out and then start the refurb. So that would mean no test track for me this trip!

Ian
03-26-2012, 08:38 PM
I, for one, would be pretty happy if they delayed this closure until ... oh I don't know ... after our May trip? ;)

DizneyFreak2002
03-26-2012, 09:27 PM
I, for one, would be pretty happy if they delayed this closure until ... oh I don't know ... after our May trip? ;)

It is Disney... it will be delayed... forever LOL... It is really only speculation based on a number of factors, which include CM job placements... I won't pretend to know how that all works with CMs so I cannot say the speculation is legit or not... Just wanted to bring it here in case this refurb is delayed so no one is surprised and others can be happy their rides aren't affected...

Jared
03-27-2012, 08:25 AM
If this refurbishment is canceled, I think Disney fans really should revolt. This is really getting embarrassing. First Hyperion Wharf, then Avatar and now this. These projects aren't rumors -- these have all been announced by Disney. And all three, perhaps, have vanished. Pathetic and embarrassing.

Scar
03-27-2012, 08:53 AM
I think GM paid back their bailout money.No. They paid back the loan, which was a small part of the entire bailout.

Jim&AngieMarriner
03-27-2012, 10:43 AM
We are 100% with Ian on this one. We are going down 20-22 April and DW has finnaly gotten the courage to ride it and WANTS to ride. She was actually angry that it supposed to go down "sometime" in April. Would be good for us if it doesnt close until after we leave.

Super Ninja
03-27-2012, 11:11 AM
No. They paid back the loan, which was a small part of the entire bailout.

Money well spent. Even Disney would be hurting now if that bailout didn't occur. Regardless, they are profitable and the number one automotive company again.

shadowden
03-27-2012, 11:28 AM

Make it June and I'm with you...!

barnaby
03-27-2012, 12:45 PM
No. They paid back the loan, which was a small part of the entire bailout.

Gotcha.
I read a bunch of articles, but depending on what political slant the writer sided on, the answer varied. :D

Ian
03-27-2012, 02:19 PM
If this refurbishment is canceled, I think Disney fans really should revolt. This is really getting embarrassing. First Hyperion Wharf, then Avatar ... Uh, Avatar? Where did you hear the Avatar project was cancelled??

That really would be embarassing if you ask me, because so much was made out of it and it was clearly trying to counter Universal's Harry Potter buzz. It would be totally lame if they cancelled it.

DizneyFreak2002
03-27-2012, 02:43 PM
Uh, Avatar? Where did you hear the Avatar project was cancelled??

That really would be embarassing if you ask me, because so much was made out of it and it was clearly trying to counter Universal's Harry Potter buzz. It would be totally lame if they cancelled it.

Someone on Twitter started this rumor and it just gained steam from there... On other sites, some people who are "supposedly in the know" have said it is on life support, but not cancelled... And the anti-Avatar crowd is trying to use the fact that Iger never mentioned it during the shareholder meeting last week as proof it's dead, or dying...

Meanwhile, these same supposed insiders love to say that the shareholder meeting is NOT the venue to talk about such projects... Fact of the matter is, there is nothing to talk about yet... they DON'T have concept art... They are JUST getting to the planning stages... So why should Iger talk about something that there isn't anything to talk about????

Figment104
03-27-2012, 03:19 PM
Gotcha.
I read a bunch of articles, but depending on what political slant the writer sided on, the answer varied. :D

Actually GM didn't receive a bailout they only received loans. They received a loan from both the US and Canadian goverments which they have paid back. A lot of people have been using the two terms, bailout and loan interchangably, so there's been some confusion over what they actually received. Hope that helps.

Strmchsr
03-27-2012, 03:50 PM
Someone on Twitter started this rumor and it just gained steam from there... On other sites, some people who are "supposedly in the know" have said it is on life support, but not cancelled... And the anti-Avatar crowd is trying to use the fact that Iger never mentioned it during the shareholder meeting last week as proof it's dead, or dying...

Avatarland is definitely not dead. It is quite alive and well.

The Test Track refurb could very well be delayed, but it's not dead either. From what I understand they're refining some of the concepts and technology a little and don't want to start the project until it's ready. Whether that delay will be a few weeks or months I can't say. All legitimate sources (not the "insiders" that pop up on fan sites everywhere) do seem to point to it not getting off on time at any rate.

Super Ninja
03-27-2012, 05:21 PM

Meanwhile, these same supposed insiders love to say that the shareholder meeting is NOT the venue to talk about such projects... Fact of the matter is, there is nothing to talk about yet... they DON'T have concept art... They are JUST getting to the planning stages... So why should Iger talk about something that there isn't anything to talk about????

I went to that forum. Seems like group think wish fulfillment. The "insider" tells them what they want to hear, and then all that question him are mocked for doing so even after he's contradicted by the CEO. Also, apparently Avatar was a huge "flop" that never caught on according to them. It's weird how fans can construct their own realities.

DizneyFreak2002
03-27-2012, 06:44 PM

The Test Track refurb could very well be delayed, but it's not dead either. From what I understand they're refining some of the concepts and technology a little and don't want to start the project until it's ready. Whether that delay will be a few weeks or months I can't say. All legitimate sources (not the "insiders" that pop up on fan sites everywhere) do seem to point to it not getting off on time at any rate.

Some of the reason I see others using for the possible Test Track delay is the fact Big Thunder Mountain's reopening is now delayed and has been pushed back... What ever the reason, I hope the refurb is well worth it... Test Track is already a darn good ride, but a refreshing can only help...

DizneyFreak2002
03-27-2012, 06:46 PM
I went to that forum. Seems like group think wish fulfillment. The "insider" tells them what they want to hear, and then all that question him are mocked for doing so even after he's contradicted by the CEO. Also, apparently Avatar was a huge "flop" that never caught on according to them. It's weird how fans can construct their own realities.

I don't want to use the Test Track forum for Avatar talk, but, some of the things people lay out there to try to back up their claims that Avatar isn't popular are laughable... I love haters who hate for the sake of hating and never form an opinion that is based in any kind of provable fact... LOL... :)

Dsnygirl
03-27-2012, 07:27 PM

Very true from what I've heard.... and I saw this March 13th on Deadline NY --

"Disney CEO Bob Iger let the frog out of the bag at the company’s annual meeting in Kansas City today. “Somewhere in my mind I know that work is being done on a sequel,” he said, before stopping himself saying he didn’t know how much has been disclosed about a second ‘The Muppets‘ movie. Iger added, in response to a question, that design work is “just beginning” for the Avatar attraction planned for Animal Kingdom in Orlando — and “in all likelihood” it won’t open until 2015. He says the company is “working on some concepts” to introduce attractions involving Marvel characters. They’re also “kicking around ideas” to enhance the presence of Pirates Of The Caribbean and Cars at the parks. “It would be tough to do walk-around characters” for Cars, he said."

Seems pretty clear they're at least still planning it... :)

DizneyFreak2002
03-27-2012, 08:13 PM
Last comment about avatar, I swear... I listened to the shareholder meeting... When the shareholder asked Iger about it, Iger seemed EXTREMELY annoyed at the question and blew it off... He gave the incorrect opening date (he said 2015 not 2017 like the press release stated, for Disney to get Avatar open in 2015, they would have had to start this in 2009, they can't do anything quick)... He just basically blew it off... And let's be honest here, this is a deal HE struck by himself... You honestly think he'd say, at a shareholder meeting no less, YEA AVATAR IS DEAD??? no way.... of course he'd say, yea we are still doing it... So Iger's words mean absolutely nothing....

Until you see land cleared AND vertical construction, nothing is for sure with Disney... Beastly Kingdom and how many new countries in World Showcase say REMEMEBR US???

Alaska Disney Fan
03-27-2012, 08:44 PM
Actually GM didn't receive a bailout they only received loans. They received a loan from both the US and Canadian goverments which they have paid back. A lot of people have been using the two terms, bailout and loan interchangably, so there's been some confusion over what they actually received. Hope that helps.

"In economics, a bailout is an act of loaning or giving capital to an entity (a company, a country, or an individual) that is in danger of failing, in an attempt to save it from bankruptcy, insolvency, or total liquidation and ruin; or to allow a failing entity to fail gracefully without spreading contagion".

Sounds like a bailout to me.......hope that helps.

Jared
03-27-2012, 10:25 PM
The Avatar project is not dead. It is, however, far from alive and well -- more like 50/50. Iger's comments (or lack thereof) are of absolutely no consequence. Should the project die, there will be no announcement. It will just disappear, like the expanded Muppet Studios and the Spain pavilion in Epcot.

Jared
03-28-2012, 01:17 PM
So Iger's words mean absolutely nothing....
Exactly. What is he supposed to say? This was a project he championed, only to have the rest of his company -- WDI, most of all -- revolt against it. The whole thing is shaping up to be another real embarrassment.

barnaby
03-28-2012, 03:51 PM
"In economics, a bailout is an act of loaning or giving capital to an entity (a company, a country, or an individual) that is in danger of failing, in an attempt to save it from bankruptcy, insolvency, or total liquidation and ruin; or to allow a failing entity to fail gracefully without spreading contagion".

Sounds like a bailout to me.......hope that helps.

The Avatar project is not dead. It is, however, far from alive and well -- more like 50/50. Iger's comments (or lack thereof) are of absolutely no consequence. Should the project die, there will be no announcement. It will just disappear, like the expanded Muppet Studios and the Spain pavilion in Epcot.

Speaking of tracks, this thread has de-railed from TT to bailouts and Avatar. Maybe Disney will need a bailout because of Avatar? ;) :D

DizneyFreak2002
03-28-2012, 03:51 PM
Speaking of tracks, this thread has de-railed from TT to bailouts and Avatar. Maybe Disney will need a bailout because of Avatar? ;) :D

They need one because of that mess they caused with John Carter... :)

Jared
03-28-2012, 06:53 PM
They need one because of that mess they caused with John Carter... :)
The John Carter thing is too funny to even be considered an embarrassment. It's absolutely pitiful.

Super Ninja
03-28-2012, 07:17 PM
The John Carter thing is too funny to even be considered an embarrassment. It's absolutely pitiful.

Am I the only one that realizes the Princess of Mars aka "John Carter" is the partial basis for Avatar? I think this is kind of ironic. It shows how much Disney needs James Cameron I think.

Epcyclopedia
03-28-2012, 11:45 PM
Just to chime in..

The real problem is that the parties involved originally stated the April timeline. Now they wont say anything to anyone about the project. That's fairly telling.

Now, if you don't want speculation.. you need to be putting pressure on Disney for real answers. Through all those wonderful social media channels that they say make them more adept at measuring and responding to their guests.

The whole response part of social media tends to get lost behind the data mining and revenue maximization...

DizneyFreak2002
03-29-2012, 12:00 AM
Just to chime in..

The real problem is that the parties involved originally stated the April timeline. Now they wont say anything to anyone about the project. That's fairly telling.

Now, if you don't want speculation.. you need to be putting pressure on Disney for real answers. Through all those wonderful social media channels that they say make them more adept at measuring and responding to their guests.

The whole response part of social media tends to get lost behind the data mining and revenue maximization...

Great book by the way.... And nice to see you here as part of the Intercot community...

scooterca42
03-29-2012, 11:35 AM
and frankly don't get me started on John Carter - usually Disney's marketing is a lot smarter. It was a really fun popcorn movie that absolutely didn't deserve the premature burial it got. I am very fond of it and I've encouraged people to go see it - with every single one reporting back that they had a great time. SN - you're not the only one who saw the similarities. Still, remember every generation thinks that all their ideas are new! Pocahontas can be seen to inform John Carter. And I will bet that James Cameron read the Barsoum novels in his youth - and so John Carter can be seen to inform Avatar.

Back to the original subject - if they're taking a major attraction offline to refurb, I can see taking the time to make certain the result will be worth the pain! Measure twice, cut once and all that. A delay is preferable to a half-cut refurbishment that doesn't make an appreciable difference to the experience.

Epcyclopedia
03-29-2012, 11:36 AM
Fun fact...

Disney announced today that the Rapunzel meet and greet will close April 15th a Fairytale Garden in the Magic Kingdom to be replaced mid-May by Merida from Brave.

Why mention that? Because that's what's more important to Disney's social media department with the same project lead time.

Not the multi-month closure of an attraction that is the anchor of a theme park and carries thousands of guests hourly. No, the movement of a princess that sees a little less than a hundred guests an hour and a introduction of a new one. Way to leverage that social media for the good of the most guests.

Strmchsr
03-29-2012, 06:31 PM
Jumping back to the Avatar issue for a moment, here's a quote from today's Disney Parks Blog from DAK Chief Imagineer Joe Rhode:

What are you looking forward to next?

When I think about the AVATAR story and Disney’s Animal Kingdom, I see the value systems that underlie both. We have the opportunity to tell that story in a way that will make the AVATAR experience feel like a natural part of Disney’s Animal Kingdom.

All of us who are designers have an opportunity to take the work we are given and make it something unexpected. That’s how we help the company to grow and expand into new areas.

DizneyFreak2002
03-29-2012, 06:54 PM
Chris, you beat me to it LOL....

Strmchsr
03-30-2012, 08:04 AM
Chris, you beat me to it LOL....

Great minds think alike...and so do ours. ;)

DizneyFreak2002
03-30-2012, 01:38 PM
Now Chris, I need to one up you... LOL

Initial plans for Avatar are for the land to be largely indoors... enclosed inside a MASSIVE show building... I'm trying to find out where initial plans are to place this... I'm thinking back side of the park, by Asia... Not Camp Minnie-Mickey where we all assumed... BUT, that could be off too, since there is a lot of expansion plots in AK....

Strmchsr
03-30-2012, 02:11 PM
Now Chris, I need to one up you... LOL.

Well you definitely did! :D I hadn't heard that one, yet. Unfortunately I have almost 0 connections at DAK. I have an aunt who is a CM there, but she isn't in a position to know anything beyond the normal CM rumors, and we all know how accurate those usually are. My connections with Imagineering and upper level management are all mostly with the other 3 parks and the Disney Institute. Anything to do with DAK I generally hear 2nd hand (a friend who heard it from someone else) so I'm always interested in finding out more from there.

DizneyFreak2002
03-30-2012, 02:42 PM
Show building about 12 acres, 500,000 or more square feet :eek: ... Big enough to house the attractions AND be able to bring to life the floating mountains AND illumenessence of Pandora... I think I spelled that wrong... But you know what I am getting at.. :)

Oh did I say NOT in an area we are expecting it to go??? So don't cay bye bye to Camp Minnie-Mickey just yet... And the plot in Asia just may be safe...

And forget Iger's 2015 opening date... This isn't going to be done until 2016...

We need to bring this convo back to the Avatar thread... We have gotten WAY WAY WAY off topic here...

Epcyclopedia
03-30-2012, 07:42 PM
I think someone said we'd know definitely by Sunday who/what was blowing hot air when CM's have their schedules for the week of the 16th.

Either they'll all be spread out across other Epcot attractions or they'll be at Test Track as if nothing happened. Right now Test Track's own management is insisting the mid-April date is firm, so if those schedules happen that way then it's obviously a go.. and it's shenanigans on Disney's PR-side for some reason not telling guests.

And if the schedules have them still at Test Track we're back where we are now, with the added bonus of even the Test Track management team being just as in the dark as we are.

DizneyFreak2002
04-02-2012, 11:34 AM
Take it for what it is but the ride is still scheduled to close April 16th... It is just weird there isn't anything on their website yet...

RBrooksC
04-13-2012, 09:39 AM
Yes, I have read on another Disney website that construction permit paperwork has been filed with Orange County, so Test Track should be closed rather soon for the refurbishment.

DizneyFreak2002
04-13-2012, 01:48 PM
Yes, I have read on another Disney website that construction permit paperwork has been filed with Orange County, so Test Track should be closed rather soon for the refurbishment.

Sunday is the confirmed last day of operation... Ride closes beginning April 16...

ryca1dreams
04-27-2012, 11:56 AM
This discussion was very convoluted, but I didn't see this mentioned - forgive me if it was.

I saw on Fox News website some released conceptual drawings of the re-imaginered Test Track. As was mentioned in another post somewhere, it is very Tron looking.

Again, forgive me if this is old news.

waymickey
04-28-2012, 08:01 AM
I saw new pictures today of concept art of the TT refurb. It has a lot of neon lights, no more winding roads and road signs. More like a ride through a black light poster! Not sure if I like it or not.

DizneyFreak2002
04-28-2012, 11:45 AM
I saw new pictures today of concept art of the TT refurb. It has a lot of neon lights, no more winding roads and road signs. More like a ride through a black light poster! Not sure if I like it or not.

I think we may be pleasantly surprised at this one... :)

BTW, the track layout is remaining the same, only show scenes are changing so I suspect the hill climb is still going to be there...

Strmchsr
04-28-2012, 01:47 PM
BTW, the track layout is remaining the same, only show scenes are changing so I suspect the hill climb is still going to be there...

Yep. The hill climb is clearly seen as the first of the concept drawings that were released.

DizneyFreak2002
04-28-2012, 07:09 PM
Yep. The hill climb is clearly seen as the first of the concept drawings that were released.

To be honest for a second, I'm glad the track layout is staying... I'm just hoping for improved show scenes... I just fear this will wind up being nothing but screen technology... But, if done right, could be amazing... I'm really looking forward to this refurb and I hope Chevy tells Imagineering no half-thought ending, like Spaceship Earth...

shortcake311
04-28-2012, 09:53 PM
I've never done Test Track and am slightly hoping it is re-opened when my husband and I visit in October. I say slightly because I think I'm scared, lol. Is this a roller coaster type ride or just fast paced on one level?

Briansmom
04-28-2012, 10:02 PM
I've never done Test Track and am slightly hoping it is re-opened when my husband and I visit in October. I say slightly because I think I'm scared, lol. Is this a roller coaster type ride or just fast paced on one level?

Most of the ride isnt fast paced at all, really. It is supposed to imitate how they test cars when they are making them in production....handling in a couple of curves, how the brakes react, cold room, hot room, paint room. The 'thrill' part is at the end when it looks like you are going to break the barrier and then it goes outside and increases it speed around a racetrack type track, speed goes up to almost 65 mph.....like riding in a convertible on the interstate basically. It is fun! :car:

DizneyFreak2002
04-28-2012, 10:31 PM

I wouldn't count on it being open in October... Currently, TT is scheduled to reopen December 1...

DizneyFreak2002
04-28-2012, 10:32 PM
Most of the ride isnt fast paced at all, really. It is supposed to imitate how they test cars when they are making them in production....handling in a couple of curves, how the brakes react, cold room, hot room, paint room. The 'thrill' part is at the end when it looks like you are going to break the barrier and then it goes outside and increases it speed around a racetrack type track, speed goes up to almost 65 mph.....like riding in a convertible on the interstate basically. It is fun! :car:

Providing the barrier test stays, which I doubt... Seems like the whole inside, other than track layout is going to be gutted... The outside speed portion is supposed to stay, but the lead up to it, I dunno how that will change...

Briansmom
04-28-2012, 11:14 PM
Providing the barrier test stays, which I doubt... Seems like the whole inside, other than track layout is going to be gutted... The outside speed portion is supposed to stay, but the lead up to it, I dunno how that will change...

Well, unfortunately since they delayed the start up of the refurb it won't be open when we are there in late September to find out. :sob:

I will have to find out how it turns out from my Intercot friends. :)

shortcake311
04-28-2012, 11:20 PM

Thank you! It sounds like fun. 65 isn't too shabby, that's normal highway speed here, plus we drive to Disney and the speed on 95 is 70MPH, lol. Now I'm sad that I will be missing it as the projected opening date is in December. There is always next time though! :)

Jeany031
05-13-2012, 01:08 PM
I love the new test track! And can we see the new logo to the new test track!