PDA

View Full Version : Tables in Wonderland

TinkerbellT421
01-02-2012, 10:57 PM
So, today DBF and I were doing some number crunching. We will be purchasing the AP on arrival and were thinking that the TIW would be a good deal. Anyone have any experience with this and what are your opinions? We will be going in three weeks and in December 2012. Can this also be used at the Margarita Bars along the walk ways in Downtown Disney?

DizneyRox
01-03-2012, 06:54 AM
TiW is the only way we eat at WDW. It's been a while, but we do APs and TiW and have always come out ahead.

When I compared it to the DDP, the DDP came out a dismal/distant third compared to the TiW card and even just paying OOP for how we eat. We usually do a TS and CS meal each day, snake for either breakfast or lunch depending on when we do our CS.

Strmchsr
01-03-2012, 07:58 AM
TiW is definitely worth it if you plan to do a lot of TS places (most CS places don't take it). We loved it and I agree that it was much better for us than the DDP in terms of how we like to eat.

TinkerbellT421
01-03-2012, 08:22 AM
Great! Thank you for the answers :) We were doing some "tentative" figures yesterday by doing some assumptions based on where we knew we were eating and where we assume we want or are going to eat. THe math seemed to work out and like you guys said it seemed to work out better for us for the way we eat. We always found DDP to be a waste because we do not eat snacks EVERYDAY and we also do not normally eat a dessert with every meal so in the end what we were saving wasn't what we would save just paying OOP and leaving out the extras we don't use. Then we did a three column figure based on what we get for DVC discount (useless based on where we are eating) and AP discounts (useless based on where we are eating).

The only place we found that did not take TiW was Columbia Harbor House where we plan on eating but everywhere else whether we do a TS lunch or dinner was on there. Now what DBF was saying that if we were going for just one trip this year the saving wouldn't be as good unless your going twice in one year. I assume this is correct based on our assumptions. But what have you guys found? Does it still work out well for just one trip or do you get a bigger better savings if you go two or more times?

And have you guys ever tried purchasing from the Margarita bars or the resort poolside bar areas? The girl on the phone mention a bunch of Lounges by name but none sounded familiar to me :blush:

NJGIRL
01-03-2012, 09:00 AM
Like with any "package" or "disc card" that needs to be purchased you have to break it apart to see if it is a good deal for your family. Tables in Wonderland costs $75 for AP holders so in order for it to be a good deal you have to save more than $75. Your family has to spend at least $375 at restaurants that take the card. They do not take the card at counter service and some table service (Teppan Edo comes to mind). You really have to know where you plan on eating in order to know if the card is worth purchasing. We had the card on our last two trips and it was worth it for us, but it's not for everyone.

faline
01-03-2012, 09:06 AM
We've found the card to be worthwhile. About a year ago, I compared our costs (including room costs) with an annual pass and Tables in Wonderland to what our costs would have been had we stayed on a free dining special. We definitely came out ahead on Tables in Wonderland and that was even including the cost of purchasing the card. Again, we are folks who do not eat a dessert with every meal but sometimes like to have an appetizer with our meal.

VWL Mom
01-03-2012, 09:10 AM
This is a list of where it's accepted. It does include some of the resort lounges but not pool bars. It's not accepted at the stands in WS (ie France) so I'm thinking the Margarita Bars are covered either.
http://www.intercot.com/infocentral/dining/dde.asp

brivers222
01-03-2012, 01:24 PM
How does one go about getting the TIW card?

For example the following :

Buy a 10day park hopper from Undercover tourist and then use those tickets for a day.... then upgrade to AP (to get the full price discount)

How quickly can we get the TIW card? I am really liking that they take 20% off drinks too!

TinkerbellT421
01-03-2012, 01:29 PM
How quickly can we get the TIW card? I am really liking that they take 20% off drinks too!

Haven't done it yet, but from our understanding when we called for information is when we upgrade to our Annual Passes we can purchase the Table In Wonderland at the same time. Atleast that's what Disney told us yesterday. I will let you know when we do it :mickey: (Because if not according to the pre recording if purchased prior to arrival it takes 2-3 weeks to receive via mail, which we don't have time for)

brivers222
01-03-2012, 01:44 PM
Haven't done it yet, but from our understanding when we called for information is when we upgrade to our Annual Passes we can purchase the Table In Wonderland at the same time. Atleast that's what Disney told us yesterday. I will let you know when we do it :mickey: (Because if not according to the pre recording if purchased prior to arrival it takes 2-3 weeks to receive via mail, which we don't have time for)

I just read online somewhere where it said if you don't receive it in the mail by the time you leave you can go to guest releations and get a temporary card.... But then again I also read too that you can buy a TIW card at guest relations lol so who knows :confused:

Now to be on the same page you are only buying one(1) TIW card right?! What is the benefit of a spouse card if he/she can get the discount under the original card?

Oh and one more annoying question... Does only one person in the room need to have the Annual pass to get the room discounts and whatnot?

AgentC
01-03-2012, 01:54 PM
I just read online somewhere where it said if you don't receive it in the mail by the time you leave you can go to guest releations and get a temporary card.... But then again I also read too that you can buy a TIW card at guest relations lol so who knows :confused:

Now to be on the same page you are only buying one(1) TIW card right?! What is the benefit of a spouse card if he/she can get the discount under the original card?

Oh and one more annoying question... Does only one person in the room need to have the Annual pass to get the room discounts and whatnot?

I have never ordered my TIW card in advance. I get it at Guest Services the first day of my trip. Once you get it is is good for 13 months. If it expires in a month I am not going, I just get a new one the next month. It has never been a problem.

I am going to guess the spouse card is because the card has a name on it. I suppose if my husband went to eat without me they could deny the discount if I wasn't there. Then again I've never been asked for id. :)

Yes, only one person in the room needs to have an annual pass to get the room discount.

brivers222
01-03-2012, 02:01 PM
I have never ordered my TIW card in advance. I get it at Guest Services the first day of my trip. Once you get it is is good for 13 months. If it expires in a month I am not going, I just get a new one the next month. It has never been a problem.

I am going to guess the spouse card is because the card has a name on it. I suppose if my husband went to eat without me they could deny the discount if I wasn't there. Then again I've never been asked for id. :)

Yes, only one person in the room needs to have an annual pass to get the room discount.

Awesome news! I wasn't really toying around with the AP idea until i realzied our next trip very well might be 13days and that would be way better using the AP... especially if i can save $20 extra dollars buying a 10day PH from UT and then upgrading after first turnstile use!

(plus maybe an excuse to take another shorter trip sometime down there) I really like the room discounts and the all included food/beverage discount

TinkerbellT421
01-03-2012, 02:22 PM

Swesome! Thanks for the info :mickey:

Melanie
01-03-2012, 03:40 PM
It's so easy to get a TIW card, I wouldn't think of ordering in advance. Just go to any Guest Relations window and they can have it for you in less than 5 minutes.

We've found it very worthwhile. We've had it for 2.5 years now, and are getting a new one this weekend. Please do refer to the list linked above, and you will notice there are a few counter service places it is accepted in Animal Kingdom, as well as food courts at the resorts where there is no table service restaurants (values).

I always caution about losing it though. There is a $50 replacement fee, so be very careful and make sure you get it back from your server at each meal.

DizneyRox
01-03-2012, 04:03 PM
A while back, you needed to pre-purchase the card and then pick it up at the Epcot Guest Relations window (in front of the park, not International Gateway). They have since goten rid of that red tape and you can get the TiW card right at Guest Relations when you get your AP.

It's actually a special "paper" ticket with a magnetic strip, etc. As mentioned, DON'T LOSE IT. A lost card or a second card for a family member is $50. I have to guess that they can't seem to disable them in the system otherwise a replacement should be considerably less. They don't want two people using the card at the same time without some sort of penalty. Hence the $50!

TinkerbellT421
01-06-2012, 11:26 AM
Thankfully DBF will be holding on to it. He loses nothing, I lose everything! lol. :mickey: Thanks for all the info! Can't wait to experience this trip (15 days!! yay!!) and post a review :mickey:

brivers222
01-09-2012, 01:23 PM

It is good for 13months? what if you don't renew an annual pass.... do you need to show the annual pass to use the TIW card, or is it a stand alone card? Because we are going end of october this year then End of November in 2013.... I would have a some overlap on the trips where i could use the card but i wouldnt have an AP unless i renewed that

DizneyRox
01-09-2012, 01:48 PM
You need to show an AP to buy the TiW, you only need to show the TiW to use it. The TiW discount DOES NOT require you to be an active AP holder, just active at the time you buy it.

brivers222
01-09-2012, 02:12 PM
You need to show an AP to buy the TiW, you only need to show the TiW to use it. The TiW discount DOES NOT require you to be an active AP holder, just active at the time you buy it.

I think this just made up mind :)

thanks so much for all the info... Geez I learn so much from this board!!!!

Already learned how to use the Undercover Tourist discounted tickets to the AP (using the discount tickets once to get teh full value applied to upgrade)... and now the Dining Discount!!!

YAY...Buh Bye DDP!!!

Dining plan was nice on our DISNEYmoon so that we didnt have to think about money down there... however we found ourselves "Celebrating" the Signature restaurants a bit with a FULL PRICE glass of Wine or a nice FULL PRICE Lapu Lapu.... with the TIW card, now i can get a discount on those purchases as well :number1:

Melanie
01-09-2012, 03:18 PM
however we found ourselves "Celebrating" the Signature restaurants a bit with a FULL PRICE glass of Wine or a nice FULL PRICE Lapu Lapu.... with the TIW card, now i can get a discount on those purchases as well :number1:

I think it makes quite a difference and really makes the card worth it if you enjoy an adult beverage or two.

brivers222
01-09-2012, 03:52 PM
I think it makes quite a difference and really makes the card worth it if you enjoy an adult beverage or two.

Going through all my receipts from december I noticed a few things on the dining plan.

1) we were tipping around 20% at each place. I originally had said 10% for a Buffet, 12% for a family style buffet, 15% for a regular table service and then 18% for a Signature place... but i found myself really liking our servers (it could have been all the Congratulations we were getting from them haha) but I would tip 20%.... SO TIW card will save me 2% right off the bat.

2) there is no way we could each have an App and each have a dessert and really enjoy them. We are more likely to dine as 1 app, 2 entrees, 1 dessert (if that) for TS meals. That cuts down the OOP cost compared to Dining plan immediately. Then add in the 20% discount across the bill.

I have already added up the Cost of the Uprade to the AP (with the added discount of the UT mousesavers discount) and the cost of the TIW card... Put that together with the 9 days of free parking (we are staying offsite at the foundains again so we would have to pay $126 for parking) and then the estimated dining discounts and we come out ahead....

now factor in that I can use the same TIW card for our Family Reunion in Nov of 2013... and we are skyrocketing ahead.

I am also going to assume that the WDW tickets will rise in price so with my 6-day PH for $304.95 at UT savings of $29 off gate prices will only get bigger!

So all in all, Annual Pass upgrade with TIW makes the most sense to me.

Hopefully by the time we save up for DVC 2014 they will have an option to buy TIW too!

TinkerbellT421
01-11-2012, 11:57 AM

Or three :marg:

PlutoPlanet
01-11-2012, 12:35 PM
Any year that I have an annual pass I get the TiW card. I think it's much better than the DDP. I never had a problem with the card.