PDA

View Full Version : Best driving route from Houston?

Rosemickey68
01-02-2012, 02:09 PM
My friend needs tips on driving from Houston?
We have looked at yahoo maps and mapquest and noticed there are 2 or 3 different routes in choosing toll roads or not.
For those of you who have driven from Houston what route is best/quickest/easiest?
Thanks for your help!

HighSpeedLowDrag
01-03-2012, 12:05 AM
Driving straight through or stopping off somewhere? If stopping off for a night, Destin is nice. I10 to I12 (to go around NOLA), back onto I10, then south on 281 and east on 98 Gulf Breeze Parkway to Destin. Then north on 83/331 back up to I10 east, south on I75, then onto Florida/Ronald Reagan Turnpike. I guess where you are staying will determine if you then take 429 or I4 to your resort. It is about 10 hours to Destin depending upon where you start in Houston, your rate of travel, and how many stops you make. Then about 7 hours to WDW from Destin depending again on your rate of travel and number of stops. We took this route in September; it is nearly directly out of Google Maps. It's a really easy drive, but does get pretty boring in some areas. I think we're going to drive straight through overnight in the future to save time. Obviously, you would just stay on I10 if not stopping off in Destin. Maybe someone who has made this trip more than me will chime in with the best rest areas/gas stations/etc.

Rosemickey68
01-03-2012, 12:41 PM
Thanks for the info on a good place to stop. Good to know in case they decide to stop. They will just be driving straight to WDW. Only stops will be to get gas,use the bathroom, or just stretch.

Really need to know which is the best route to take once you get into Florida. One map shows to go I10 to US 27, the other says to take I10 to Florida's turnpike. Which route is best/quickest/easiest? Is there a better way?
How much is the toll? Looks like there would be 2 stops to pay a toll on the turnpike...is that correct?
I know we drove once before, but it has been along time ago, so we are kinda fuzzy on which route we took once we got into Florida, we stayed the night in Tallahassee but from there it is a blur. :confused:

Main Street Jim
01-04-2012, 09:11 AM
Thanks for the info on a good place to stop. Good to know in case they decide to stop. They will just be driving straight to WDW. Only stops will be to get gas,use the bathroom, or just stretch.

Really need to know which is the best route to take once you get into Florida. One map shows to go I-10 to US 27, the other says to take I-10 to Florida's Turnpike. Which route is best/quickest/easiest? Is there a better way?
How much is the toll? Looks like there would be 2 stops to pay a toll on the turnpike...is that correct?
I know we drove once before, but it has been along time ago, so we are kinda fuzzy on which route we took once we got into Florida, we stayed the night in Tallahassee but from there it is a blur. :confused:

I don't think I-10 goes to the Turnpike; you'd have to get on I-75 south to catch the Turnpike in Wildwood.

US 27 isn't really all that quick; stoplights and all in every town on 27.

I'd recommend that once in Florida: I-10 to I-75 south, then Turnpike south from Wildwood. Not sure what the toll would be coming from that way. Get off at the Osceola Parkway exit (small toll on Osceola Parkway, like $1.50). Osceola Parkway will take you straight to Animal Kingdom/AKL, but, of course, you can get elsewhere on property as well.

Rosemickey68
01-06-2012, 07:53 AM
Thanks for the info! We appreciate it!:mickey: