PDA

View Full Version : Best time to visit....Really?

Hair_Razor
12-29-2011, 08:32 PM
It seems to me we always try to go at the least crowded times so we usually plan our trips for January or September. However our last trip in January was so crowded and uncomfortable that I don't think we will ever go again that time of year. It seems that in the past few years it has steadily gotten more and more so.

We are going to try February 12-19 this year mostly because of my daughters birthday, but I feel like I am seeing a lot of posts for Feb.

What has been your experience?

tinksmom02
12-29-2011, 09:27 PM
I've always liked the week or 2 right after Labor Day. Schools are back in session and many parents are reluctant to pull their kids out that early in the school year.

However, we've started working around DD's school schedule somewhat, which is why we ended up in Disney during the first full week of November this year. The crowds weren't TOO bad for the bulk of the week. Our last day was miserably crowded.

We tried the first week of December in 2010 and I would NEVER do that time again. Pop Warner was going on that time, as was the taping of the parade. We didn't have any problems with the Pop Warner groups at all, but the parks just seemed soooo crowded that we'll never go back during that time.

Our Jan-Feb trip was not crowded at all, but that was 2007, so not sure how things have changed since.

My mantra at Disney is that a bad day at Disney still beats a good day at work! :mickey:

SBETigg
12-29-2011, 09:59 PM
February crowds are pretty thick during President's Week with school vacations going on then in the colder parts of the country, but otherwise I have heard that February is a good time to go. The thing is that there really isn't a low crowd time anymore. It seems to be moderate crowds even during times that used to be low crowds.

Hair_Razor
12-29-2011, 10:07 PM
My mantra at Disney is that a bad day at Disney still beats a good day at work! :mickey:

Sooo true:thumbsup:

Also I heard that about the break in February, I've lived in the cold state of Ohio my whole life and never heard of a break at that time of year. The only breaks we got and my kids now get are Christmas break and Spring break and in fact those can get cut short if they get too many snow days.

SBETigg
12-29-2011, 10:10 PM
Sooo true:thumbsup:

Also I heard that about the break in February, I've lived in the cold state of Ohio my whole life and never heard of a break at that time of year. The only breaks we got and my kids now get are Christmas break and Spring break and in fact those can get cut short if they get too many snow days.

When we lived in Michigan, my kids got winter break in February just as they always did in Massachusetts and Connecticut. I'm sure it varies depending on your area and school system, but I think a lot of schools get the winter break week in February. Also a spring break week in April and the week at Christmas until just after New Year. But depending on snow days, they go to school until almost the end of June and head back in the last week of August or first week of September. Massachusetts has a mandatory 180 day schedule for public schools. Not sure about other states.

Hair_Razor
12-29-2011, 10:26 PM
Lol, Looks like we need to move :D

Does seem that that week that everyone is off is the week following Presidents Day as you mentioned so we will be leaving as everyone arrives hopefully *fingers crossed ;)

eandrsmom
12-29-2011, 10:43 PM
Be warned, President's Week is VERY busy. Also, Mardi Gras is falling that week as well. I'd switch weeks if you possibly can. We're from South Louisiana and most of the kids here are off the week of Mardi Gras. We always go to Disney that week UNLESS it falls the same week as President's Week. (This year it does.) No Disney for us until the beginning of May. We've done May before, and the crowds are moderate. Spring break is over, but school isn't out yet. Plus, it's warm but usually not too hot and humid. An added bonus are the flowers at Epcot!:bfly:

Hair_Razor
12-29-2011, 11:21 PM
Be warned, President's Week is VERY busy. Also, Mardi Gras is falling that week as well. I'd switch weeks if you possibly can.

We are going the week before Presidents week, 12-19. So again, hopefully we will be leaving before the crowd comes. My last post did make it confusing. ;)

eandrsmom
12-30-2011, 08:26 AM
You'll probably be okay then. I'm sure that the crowds will pick up toward the end of the week.

TinkerbellT421
12-30-2011, 08:40 AM
[QUOTE=SBETigg;2231700]When we lived in Michigan, my kids got winter break in February just as they always did in Massachusetts and Connecticut. QUOTE]

Rhode Island also has February break. I assume it would be most of New England does. And by that time all parents are looking for a vacation that includes the sun in general lol. And anything with temperatures 50 and above

faline
12-30-2011, 09:40 AM
While no time to truly crowd-free, we've experienced manageable crowds during May - particularly early may, early to mid-December, October, late August into early September, early June, January into early February (but before Presidents' Day week).

DVC2004
12-30-2011, 09:56 AM
May if you like it warm, September usually but can be rainy, and the first week of Feb but it's not usually the best weather then. I mean it can be hit or miss with warm to downright chilly weather. I've always found it starts to pick up again around Valentine's day and alot of people go around President's Day.

Jillirose
12-30-2011, 10:57 AM
We go the week before President's day each year, and it is busy, but not crazy like Spring Break. The weather can be dicey, so be prepared (sometimes very cold)! It always gets busier near the end of the week.

Maleficent_vf
12-30-2011, 12:51 PM
...the first week of Feb but it's not usually the best weather then. I mean it can be hit or miss with warm to downright chilly weather...

"Chilly" is a relative term. :) If you're from you're from the Northeast :freeze:, even the 40s in February can seem balmy. :mickey:

It's been 2 years since I visited the world (and there's no trip in sight)...I'd take just about any weather or crowd level rightn ow... :(

Sorry, seems I've OD'd on smilies! :D

DVC2004
12-30-2011, 04:31 PM
"Chilly" is a relative term. :) If you're from you're from the Northeast :freeze:, even the 40s in February can seem balmy. :mickey:

Agree, as I am from way up north as well, but if someone wants to go for warm weather and swimming Feb. is not always good for that. That being said, I would still rather be in FL in Feb than where I am!:mickey:

badkitty
12-30-2011, 08:53 PM
I've run into dance and cheer groups in February before President's Day. It can make the hotels busy but they tend to spread out in the parks.

diz_girl
12-31-2011, 05:44 PM
We've been to WDW in early September and late January there were very low crowds both times, especially in September. But we were just there the week before Thanskgiving and crowds were very manageable. The F&WF had just ended and the Thanksgiving crowds had not yet arrived, but MVMCP was already happening and the resorts were already starting to get decorated for Christmas. The weather was nice too. Temperatures were mostly in the 70's and the only rain was about 20 minutes one morning that wouldn't even classify as a drizzle. It was a nice time to go.

WDWCrazyKaren
01-03-2012, 09:28 AM
I can feel the OP's pain. We've been going in January for years, but after last year, we won't do it again. The crowds, while manageable, were dangerous. We ran into some tour groups that we actually causing harm to others, and also making situations very uncomfortable for other guests. For that reason alone, we've moved to the first week in February. We'll see if that makes any difference at all. We like the cooler temps of January-February, so if the crowds are a bit different in February, we'll make a new tradition!

mydisneygirls
01-03-2012, 10:15 AM
We've always gone late October and found the crowds to be light. We went this Sept and found it the same although it was EXTREMELY hot and humid. A cast member told us that this past Sept was unusually humid. I hope she was right because we are heading down again this coming Sept.

WDWCrazyKaren -- In what way dangerous???? I actually noticed on our recent trip that the crowds were not the same as during our prior trip which was about 4 years ago. I don't know if it is just me, but I found people to be rude, pushy and argumentative.

lighteningqueen
01-03-2012, 10:32 AM
I can feel the OP's pain. We've been going in January for years, but after last year, we won't do it again. The crowds, while manageable, were dangerous. We ran into some tour groups that we actually causing harm to others, and also making situations very uncomfortable for other guests. For that reason alone, we've moved to the first week in February. We'll see if that makes any difference at all. We like the cooler temps of January-February, so if the crowds are a bit different in February, we'll make a new tradition!

I cannot believe Disney would make it unsafe to go while the tours are there. We are going Jan 20-29 are you saying it is dangerous to go then and if so is that also a very crowded time?? We used to go in Dec first 2 weeks but it is packed then now , and very rude Americans thinking they are the only one in the parks. JMHO we are from US, just saying

Strmchsr
01-03-2012, 02:14 PM
We are going Jan 20-29 are you saying it is dangerous to go then and if so is that also a very crowded time??

I don't think I would call it dangerous. The "danger' is the groups tend to travel in large packs and can push people out of the way. Some groups have a tendency to sing, chat, dance, as they are going down pathways which can also create some problems. It's not a major issue. Now, is it crowded? Sort of. If you happen to be in the park where most of the tour groups are, it'll feel very crowded. In general if we arrive at a park and see a bunch of the signs or flags, we turn right around and go to another park and it's okay. It's usually only an issue if you and a group are trying to go to a ride at the same time. Also, they have a tendency to take up a LOT of fastpasses. But, those are minor issues and nothing to worry about for your trip. If you see a flag leading a group, just go another direction and it won't be an issue for you.

AmandaChan
01-04-2012, 12:48 AM
While no time to truly crowd-free, we've experienced manageable crowds during May - particularly early may, early to mid-December, October, late August into early September, early June, January into early February (but before Presidents' Day week).

We have always gone in May and we have never had a huge problem with crowds even though apparently a lot of spring breaks happen around that time. I wouldn't say it was dead or anything, but we've never had an issue with getting FP or having to wait in huge lines and dh and I were always late starters too.

Main Street Jim
01-04-2012, 09:04 AM
I always recommend late November - early December. Christmas decorations are up, weather's still decent, crowds aren't too bad. :thumbsup:

Auroring Good Time
01-05-2012, 01:06 PM
Massachusetts winter break is the week of February 20th this year. My favorite times to go are late October (Food & Wine Festival), early December, though I agree, watch out for Pop Warner week.

lighteningqueen
01-05-2012, 01:09 PM
POP Warner hardly makes a dent... its the tour groups and now just totally packed time to go. We did not go this year because its getting harder and harder to NOT stand in lines for 80 minutes or more. Nothing light crowded at all about the first two weeks. its a shame. I loved it so

LilHooligan74
01-09-2012, 01:04 AM
I have been before during spring break, the height of summer as well and Easter Sunday 3 years ago. None of it seemed to bother me too much. Busy though. This Year we are going to be there end of April(3 wks after Easter). How are the crowds then compared to summer and Spring Break? Just myself and my Girlfriend and she whines less then I do. It works well with our schedule so I was hoping it was not too jammed packed.

Buttercup
01-09-2012, 12:10 PM
LilHooligan74: You should be fine crowd-wise at the end of April, especially that long after Easter. Stuff starts to pick up again in May. And the weather at the end of April is WONDERFUL! :thumbsup:

WDWCrazyKaren
01-11-2012, 09:04 AM
Sorry if I made folks uncomfortable with my "dangerous" comment. In no way did we ever feel unsafe at Disney World, however we noticed (more at Epcot, strangely enough) a couple of times where the teens in the tour groups were linking arms from one side of the concrete walkway to the other, and not letting folks pass them. One instance was a person in an ECV and they kept walking in their line and made the person in the ECV back up! It was RIDICULOUS! DH is a big, scary looking man and went right to that spot in the line where the ECV was and pushed through the teens. He created a bit of space for a few folks to get through at least, before they linked back up. Didn't see any cast members close by us, and we just kept on going, but in hindsight, I wish I would have found someone. Stupid on my part for not saying anything. And this was just one instance. We did see others. Again, not unsafe, but making someone back up on an ECV in a crowded area? Not funny at all in my opinion, but they found it hilarious.

mom2morgan
01-11-2012, 08:39 PM
oooh....that makes me really angry! I'm a High School teacher, and while I think most teens are generally well-mannered and kind, I have NO patience for the rude ones! I was expecting you to tell about just plain "thoughtless" behaviour - like groups of teens not realzing they are monopolizing an area, but not actually setting out to be intentionally rude! I'd SO give them "what for" :thedolls:

Sorry if I made folks uncomfortable with my "dangerous" comment. In no way did we ever feel unsafe at Disney World, however we noticed (more at Epcot, strangely enough) a couple of times where the teens in the tour groups were linking arms from one side of the concrete walkway to the other, and not letting folks pass them. One instance was a person in an ECV and they kept walking in their line and made the person in the ECV back up! It was RIDICULOUS! DH is a big, scary looking man and went right to that spot in the line where the ECV was and pushed through the teens. He created a bit of space for a few folks to get through at least, before they linked back up. Didn't see any cast members close by us, and we just kept on going, but in hindsight, I wish I would have found someone. Stupid on my part for not saying anything. And this was just one instance. We did see others. Again, not unsafe, but making someone back up on an ECV in a crowded area? Not funny at all in my opinion, but they found it hilarious.

BWayGrl
01-12-2012, 10:56 AM
oooh....that makes me really angry! I'm a High School teacher, and while I think most teens are generally well-mannered and kind, I have NO patience for the rude ones! I was expecting you to tell about just plain "thoughtless" behaviour - like groups of teens not realzing they are monopolizing an area, but not actually setting out to be intentionally rude! I'd SO give them "what for" :thedolls:

Can I ask, as a teacher do you travel to Disney only in the summers? Or do you find time during breaks in the school year to go? I'm going to school for secondary education and wondering when I'll plan my Disney trips once I start teaching! Summers are hot and crowded, and I know that any school holiday also tends to be crowded. :mickey:

mom2morgan
01-12-2012, 09:10 PM
Can I ask, as a teacher do you travel to Disney only in the summers? Or do you find time during breaks in the school year to go? I'm going to school for secondary education and wondering when I'll plan my Disney trips once I start teaching! Summers are hot and crowded, and I know that any school holiday also tends to be crowded. :mickey:
No, I tried Disney LAND once during summer and really didn't enjoy it at all because of the crowds. I am allowed to take a few "personal" days in the school year (paid) and a few more unpaid, so that is what I do - I book (I've gone twice in December - next trip is late September) off season time and take a bit of a hit on the paycheque. And I *do* feel a little guilty, but I've decided that my absence for a week or two isn't going to really jeopardize my students' education ;-)