PDA

View Full Version : What's with the Fireworks?

Gator
12-29-2011, 04:31 PM
I'm thinking about a trip down to DL on Jan 22-24. Everyone's been telling me they have fireworks every night lately, and they do World of Color every night. I checked the official schedule and all three nights have NOTHING. I'm reconsidering my trip all of the sudden. Disney with no night shows = Universal/Knotts Berry Farm.

Strmchsr
12-29-2011, 05:10 PM
DL has had some sort of issue with the loading of their fireworks last week. Disney is not officially talking about this issue, and apparently an OSHA investigation is pending. DL has said fireworks are suspended "indefinitely." I really don't have any contacts at DL, unlike WDW, but my friends who work for Disney have said they are being told DL's fireworks will hopefully be back up very shortly, maybe even by Saturday, but they cannot resume the show until OSHA's okay and that might take a couple of days or 2-3 weeks. If OSHA demands some sort of new policy or fix to whatever the specific issue is, that will delay things further as Disney brings it into compliance. That's why there's nothing on the schedule right now. My guess is you'll be fine and everything will be back to normal by your trip dates, but that is not a certainty.

BrerGnat
12-29-2011, 06:12 PM
It should be made clear, Disneyland has NEVER done fireworks nightly year round. They have been doing it "lately" due to the Holiday schedule.

Typically, DL only does fireworks on Friday and Saturday nights, year round. Once the summer season officially starts, and until Labor Day, they are allowed nightly fireworks shows. Ditto for Spring Break week. Noise regulations in Anaheim are the reason for this. There are many residences in extremely close proximity to Disneyland.

So, if your trip is scheduled tentatively for Jan 22-24, you won't be seeing fireworks even if they resolve whatever problem they are having currently.

Gator
12-29-2011, 08:36 PM
So, if your trip is scheduled tentatively for Jan 22-24, you won't be seeing fireworks even if they resolve whatever problem they are having currently.

This is why over the last 10 years I've spent 3 days at DL and 47 at WDW. People in Anaheim :shake: It's like moving to the mountains and being mad about all the snow and bears.

2Epcot
12-29-2011, 10:46 PM
From the Orange County, CA newspaper:

Disney worker avoided burns in fireworks incident
December 29th, 2011, 5:34 pm

A Disneyland employee quickly moved away from fireworks when he heard a suspicious noise before it exploded, avoiding any burns in a rare incident last week, according to an Anaheim Fire Department report.

Disneyland tonight is canceling the nightly fireworks display for the seventh time in the past eight nights. Disney began halting the shows after an employee was taken to the hospital for a possible ear injury on Dec. 22. Disney, fire and other experts are trying to fix the problem and are making a determination on a day-to-day basis whether the show will go on.

“Since the safety of our cast and guests is always our top priority, we will continue to make these decisions on a daily basis,” said Suzi Brown, a Disneyland Resort spokeswoman, in a statement.

A state official said he knows of no similar incidents with Disneyland fireworks in recent years.

“The safety record of Disneyland is almost flawless,” said Tony Guevara, state deputy fire marshal. “I’ve never had any reports of anything major occurring.”

According to the fire report, the employee was loading fireworks into tubes shortly after 4 p.m. to prepare for that night’s show. He heard a sound and quickly moved away. The shell then detonated in the tube with a “tremendous blast,” destroying the tube and shooting debris, according to the report.

The main part of the tube was on fire when it landed and Disney personnel extinguished it.

Paramedics later responded to treat the employee, who was complaining of hearing problems. He was taken to the hospital.

Both the state Division of Occupational Safety and Health and the state Fire Marshal’s office were notified of the incident. State safety workers plan to conduct an inspection.

Guevara said the Marshal’s Office is asking to be notified of findings by the Anaheim Fire Department, which is responsible for permits.

Since 2004, Disneyland has used compressed air to shoot off fireworks, replacing the black gunpowder that was ignited before. The air-launch system is meant to be less noisy and cause less pollution than gunpowder.

Disneyland was the first to use such a system, but few other places have the technology, said Julie Heckman, executive director of the American Pyrotechnics Association. She knows of no previous problems with the technology.

In the past eight days, the fireworks display, “Believe in Holiday Magic,” has only been shown Dec. 25. The cancellations are falling in the middle of one of the busiest weeks of the year at Disneyland when the park often fills up. The fireworks show, which concludes with fake snowfall, is a key feature of Disneyland’s holiday season, which ends Jan. 8.

The show that ran on December 25th only went on because the shells had already been loaded, and needed to be taken care of .... Disneyland waited and launched them on Christmas.

BrerGnat
12-30-2011, 10:33 AM
This is why over the last 10 years I've spent 3 days at DL and 47 at WDW. People in Anaheim :shake: It's like moving to the mountains and being mad about all the snow and bears.

To be fair, some of the houses have been there as long as Disneyland itself, and most were there prior to Disneyland even starting fireworks shows.

We used to live a good 15 miles away, but we could hear the fireworks over television, like clockwork at 9:30pm, for over 7 years. They are LOUD!!! I can't even imagine if we had lived any closer.

2Epcot
12-30-2011, 03:24 PM
Cast Members are reporting on another site that fireworks will return tonight ... Weather permitting.

badkitty
12-30-2011, 09:00 PM

In defense of Disneyland to which I would go in a heartbeat over WDW (even though I totally adore WDW - just not the plane ride to get there :secret:), the winds can also cause issues for the fireworks. Disneyland doesn't have the luxury of space like WDW.

2Epcot
12-31-2011, 12:13 AM
Fireworks went off as scheduled tonight at Disneyland, so looks like all will be good for New Year's Eve show tomorrow night.
:newyear:

Gator
01-02-2012, 05:03 PM
If they don't do fireworks DL because of noise, what's the reason they don't do World of Color at DCA more than just the weekends? No shells going off in the air. Just light, water, and music. It seems that they could play that a few more times a week without bugging the neighbors.

Gator
01-02-2012, 05:05 PM
If they don't do fireworks DL because of noise, what's the reason they don't do World of Color at DCA more than just the weekends? No shells going off in the air. Just light, water, and music. It seems that they could play that a few more times a week without bugging the neighbors.

Oh, my bad. It looks like they do it every night. Just not during the week in January I was planning on.

MNNHFLTX
01-08-2012, 10:38 AM
So it looks like they added fireworks and World of Color on January 22. You can go to the 8 p.m. WOC show and then over to Disneyland to catch at least part of the fireworks.

Disney4us2
01-08-2012, 11:37 AM
The fireworks were going off last night. Saw them on the way to the tram.