PDA

View Full Version : Disney on a budget tips needed please!

Diznut
12-29-2011, 11:17 AM
Just booked our May trip with the family. We tried to do something different like a cruise but just couldn't stay away from the mouse! So back we go .... 3rd May in a row.

But this year I'm noticing it's more expensive than last. I'm a very cost minded person and opted to not get the meal plan this year and use amex cash back rewards to pay for meals. Should have about $400-$450 saved up by then. We're bringing dried cereal and oatmeal with us to cover breakfasts and will dine quick service for lunch/dinners allowing $30 each meal for a family of 4. We're staying at the All Star Music resort and 7 nights with a 7 day base ticket for everyone is running us $1800.

Other than bringing our own thermos to refill in the parks, any other "budget friendly" tips? Many thanks!

MarkC
12-29-2011, 11:58 AM
I'm sure you'll get lots of tips but here goes.....

Bring some granola bars for snacks

Buy some hamburger buns and bring 1-2 with you in a backpack/fannypack to the parks. Order a double cheeseburger and use one of your buns and split the two patties. Split the order of fries and you should still get full.

This will cost you more this trip but if you are traveling each May, do what we do. Buy an annual pass and travel (for example) the 3rd week of May. Next year come during the 2nd week of May. You'll pay more this year but next year the trip would really be cheap as your tickets will be paid for. We've done that a few times even from Nebraska and its worked out great.

If you have a car, consider driving to the McDonalds/Taco Bell area just east of downtown Disney to save a couple of dollars once or twice a trip.

buzznwoodysmom
12-29-2011, 12:14 PM
My biggest cost saving tip is to share meals when you can. A TS meal typically runs my family of 4 $120-150. A few years ago we didn't have the dining plan and decided to try sharing a few meals. We did Chefs de France for lunch. DH and I shared the 3 course meal, and our son's shared one of the kid's meals (they couldn't share now, but a few years ago it was plenty for them). Our meal, including drinks and tip, came out around $60. That evening we had dinner at San Angel, DH and I ordered soup and 2 appitizers to share, again the boys shared a kids meal, and we ordered one dessert to share, again our total was around $60. So for less than the price of what one meal usually runs us we had lunch and dinner. And the best part was we didn't waste any food and we weren't stuffed beyond comfort! This worked well for us at TS locations, but I'm sure there are some CS locations with portions big enough to share once in a while.

My other big money (and time) saving tip is to have breakfast in the room with items you bring with you, but I see your already doing that.

disneymom15
12-29-2011, 12:23 PM
At counter service meals we always ask for "a cup of ice water" it's free. I've also heard people order the double hamburger along with an extra bun (for a small charge) and make 2 burgers out of one.

Jillirose
12-29-2011, 12:24 PM
You hit on our big ones: bring our own water, bring cereal and eat breakfast in the room, bring snacks. We also split meals when not famished.

BowTie7
12-29-2011, 05:54 PM
Cold brew tea bags are great for making a free ice water drinkable--they even sell them at the Twinings Tea show in Epcot. Free soda refills at most of the resort food courts (also at Electric Umbrella and Sunshine Seasons (I think)).

kemps@wdw
12-29-2011, 10:40 PM
if you're traveling by car, take as much as you can with you. Everything is more expensive @ WDW. Breakfast foods, snacks, paper plates/cups/flatware, any drinks you may want. The only thing we buy there is milk, bread, and lunchmeat. Laundry sheets (all-in-ones) if you do laundry. Water bottles and portable snacks for the parks. If your're using the meal plan, most meals are big enough to split, or save some for later or next morning, saving you $. The resort mugs are great for refills for the week. Take ponchos (the dollar store ones are fine) for everyone and a couple extra if you have strollers. Glow bracelets and sticks (also dollar store) are great for the kids (avoids having to buy them during the nighttime parades. Just a few tips, hope it helps you have a Magical trip!

disneyfan328
12-29-2011, 11:12 PM
it seems like you've gotten a decent amount of tips already for food so I am going to throw in a few of my own for other stuff

buy pins on ebay if you are pin traders - you can get a "lot" of pins for decently cheap price and use them to trade with others.

buy stuffed animals at the disney store or on ebay ahead of time and bring them with you. Its cheaper than buying them at the parks. You can also do this with tshirts - I know that right now the Disney store has a good selection of Disney shirts for kids that are 4.99 - 7.99 each MUCH cheaper than what you would pay at the parks (of course they won't say disneyworld but depending on how old your kids are they probably won't care!)
same with a few small toys light up or otherwise - find a place to buy them ahead of time and take them with you (I know toys r us has some of the light up spinny things)

look for coupons online - we found one for 5.00 off a 20.00 purchase at planet hollywood and there were tons of different ones out there.

If your family likes or drinks a lot of bottled water - order it online from the big office supply store whose name is a desk item (I don't think I can name it here) and have it shipped to your hotel (you can also try asking for a discount on the shipping if its your first order) I was able to do this and they cut the shipping in half so shipping 2 cases of water was less than 20.00. this can add up to significant savings.

thats all I can think of for right now.

IamaDisneyFan
12-30-2011, 09:09 AM
What about packing lunch a couple of days? A few pb&j sandwiches don't weigh too much in the backpack and you can picnic in the park. Tom Sawyer's Island is a great place to do this! Will you have your car? You can grab a couple of $5 footlong subs, throw some ice in a cooler and take a break in the car for lunch. Even if one of the many suggestions on here saved $10 - 20, you could "treat" yourselves to a mickey ice cream bar or bucket of popcorn. :mickey: