December 17, 2011
Saturday

Who:
Gene
Linda
DB Scott
DSIL Donna
DN Sam

We are now back at home in New England and I never got a chance to catch up on notes again while we were away. It was almost a week ago since I wrote down any of the notes from our trip! This will truly be from memory!!

Monday, December 12 – continued
Before we began the trip, we made arrangements to stay with Sam for the evening so that Scott and Donna could have an adult evening out. They opted to go to Via Napoli at Epcot.

Sam didn’t want them to leave – at one point, standing in the doorway to prevent them from leaving. He was distracted by some stickers that he got to open and “share” with us. He wasn’t really upset they were gone – just didn’t want them to go to begin with. He’d had a very busy day so I didn’t expect he’d have much fortitude for a lot of evening activities.

We walked across the street to Olivia’s and were seated almost immediately (though we did not have a reservation). Sam had his usual chicken nuggets and fries along with milk. Gene and I each had the fish. Dinner was pleasant and service was very good. We really had some excellent servers on this trip! After dinner, we took the boat ride over to Downtown Disney – the boat lands in Pleasure Island. From there we walked over to the Lego store and checked out all the various displays. We bought Sam a small Tow Mater lego set. We went into World of Disney for a few minutes. We happened to enter through the area that is filled with little girl things. Sam didn’t quite appreciate that saying “This is all girl’s stuff. This is a girl’s store.” We looked around a bit but didn’t make any additional purchases. We walked back to the boat dock. Although Sam had walked the distance from the boat dock to the store, through the stores, and halfway back to the boat dock, he was clearly drooping and happily climbed aboard his stroller for the rest of the trip back to the dock. The boat was waiting for us and we were allowed to wheel the stroller directly on the boat. Sam fell asleep on the way back. Unfortunately, he woke up again as I was trying to get him into bed. He played with his new toy for a bit and seemed to have gotten a second wind. I finally told him to bring his new toy and climb up into bed which he did. He was almost asleep when Scott & Donna returned so, of course, he woke up totally again. He was so tired, though, it did not take Scott long to get him back to sleep.

They enjoyed their evening out though I don’t think they were overly impressed with Via Napoli. Gene & I have not eaten there yet so have no basis of comparison.

Tuesday, December 13, 2011
A busy day is scheduled today. We’ll be starting with breakfast at Crystal Palace and ending the day with Mickey’s Very Merry Christmas Party.

Gene and I bus over to the Magic Kingdom while Scott & Donna drive. Scott notes that he’ll see which of us makes better time. As we get to the bus stop, we see the Magic Kingdom bus come into the resort to start its circuit. A short while later, we see Scott & Donna start their drive over to the Transportation and Ticket Center. The bus arrives a short while after that and we are quickly deposited at the Magic Kingdom. We wander up Main Street, stopping with several of the photopass photographers. Scott, Donna & Sam arrive about 20 minutes later. I think Scott was disappointed and had expected that he would arrive before we did.

After checking in at Crystal Palace, we only waited a few minutes before we were seated. When he was 2, Sam loved the characters. We did not know how we would react this time as he is generally quite a reserved little boy. He’s a real chatterbox with folks he knows well but will often hide his face when addressed by someone he does not know. We need not have worried. While Scott & Donna were not into having character hugs and/or pictures, Gene & I don’t have that problem so Sam had a good model to follow. The first character to approach was Pooh. Sam seemed a bit unsure about actually going near him but it did not take much urging for him to provide Pooh with a big hug! Each of the characters, in turn, Tigger, Eyeore and Piglet were greeted enthusiastically by Sam and a good breakfast was had by all!

I don’t recall the exact order of rides we did this day but I’m pretty sure we visited Haunted “House” as Sam calls it as well as Splash Mountain and Big Thunder Railroad. We also did Pirates and I believe we did the River Cruise and the Tiki Bird show. Gene & I headed back to the resort as they were about to go on Splash again (I’d already ridden twice this trip which is once more than the once a trip I typically go on this ride). On our way out, I think we stopped and rode on It’s A Small World as we had not been on that yet this trip. We may also have stopped for a few photo pass folks. The end result was that we actually arrived back at the resort after Scott & Donna did.

At one point during the day, we were using the walkway that runs along the waterway through Frontierland. I was telling my sister-in-law about how we had gotten stuck in Frontierland during a Christmas visit that occurred before the walkway was built. A custodial cast member overhead by conversation and joined in the discussion with his version of “Disney History”. Unfortunately, he was not providing accurate information or history so I tuned him out. He continued to walk along with us for the entire distance of the walkway and finally headed in a different direction at the end of it.

Since we were going to the party this evening, everyone was going to try to nap this afternoon. I actually did nap for a little bit. I set the alarm on my telephone (I didn’t want to request a wake up call and disturb everyone else so used the phone instead). It’s a good thing I did that as Gene (who had said he’d wake me up)had also fallen asleep!

I had thought about going to the Vacation Club Merry Member Mixer which was being held that afternoon in Epcot but decided that was pushing things so decided to skip it in favor of napping!

Gene & I bussed over to the Magic Kingdom and then monorailed over to the Contemporary. We had a 5:10 reservation at The Wave. Scott and Donna arrived closer to 5:30. Fortunately, they held our reservation for us in that they knew part of the party was there (I suspect the other part is that the restaurant did not seem overly busy and had many empty tables). Scott & Donna parked at the Transportation and Ticket Center and monorailed from there to the Contemporary.

We had a very nice dinner and then walked over to the Magic Kingdom. It was about 7:15 when we arrived. I knew that Chris (Strmchsr) was attending the party with his family on this evening so had put his number in my phone. Oh oh! Know how I used my phone as an alarm clock?! Well, since my phone was so good at acting as an alarm clock, I didn’t have Chris’ number though I did hear the voice mail he left for me the next morning.

When we entered the park, folks were already camped out for the parade. There really weren’t any places on Main Street at all though many of the folks who were waiting for the parade were without wrist bands so likely were day guests who were overstaying for the party. We were not allowed past Main Street without showing our bands. There were plenty of places to stake out for the parade once we were in Frontierland and we found a nice place just by the Country Bears. In fact, Donna took Sam into the show to help pass the time while we were waiting. At one point, I headed over to the rest room to find the entrance manned by cast members who asked to see my wrist band before allowing me into the rest room – interesting place to put a checkpoint but potentially quite effective, I suppose.

The parade was wonderful! I always love the toy soldiers! I also enjoyed seeing my nephew’s excitement – especially when he saw Mickey Mouse!!

Following the parade, we moved over to another section of the park to watch the Castle show and the fireworks. We had a great view of both and watched Tinker Bell fly overhead. By this time, Sam was pretty wiped out and falling asleep in his stroller. Scott had planned to stay about ½ hour or so after the fireworks to allow the worst of the crowds to head out but decided to leave immediately after the fireworks.

Gene & I wandered into Tomorrowland and took a spin on the People Mover. It was getting closer to the start of the second parade which, in the past, we have often stayed to see but decided not to this evening. As we left, I could see that the park crowds had really thinned and, if we had wanted, we could have gotten prime parade viewing right near the train station without any problems.

We walked right onto a waiting bus but as one of the last aboard which also meant we had to stand. Since we didn’t have to wait for the next bus, that was fine.

faline
12-23-2011, 03:33 PM
Wednesday
December 14, 2011
Today is planned as an Epcot day. Scott & Donna are planning to let Sam sleep in this morning. I don’t think we caught up with each other at all until our dinner that evening. I don’t recall what they did but think they revisited Hollywood Studios to do the Cars show which Sam had been asking to see again and may have spent more time there that day.

Gene & I bussed over to Epcot. We got fast passes for Soarin though, as it turns out, we did not actually experience this ride at all on this trip. After getting fast passes, we rode the Land and then headed over to the Living Seas. We rode the Nemo ride; checked out the dolphins and the manatees (though I only saw one in the tank). Crush only had a 10 minute wait so we did that. Following that, we headed back to use our Soarin’ fast passes.

First, a little back story. Some years back, I had purchased a new video camera. You know how you are instructed to put your personal belongings into baskets under the seats or in front of you on various rides? Well, I had obeyed those instructions on Star Tours. My new video camera came out of that bin all scratched up and with a damaged button (which later broke completely). We vowed never to use those storage baskets ever again and never had.

So, we got into our Soarin’ seats and fastened our belts. Gene had his DSL camera strap over his head and across his torso. I had a pocketbook that is worn the same way. Neither could have fallen off or presented a safety hazard. We have done this every time we have ridden Soarin’ in the past and it has not been an issue. This day, the cast member told Gene he would have to put his camera in the bin and Gene said he would not. The cast member said it was a safety issue and he couldn’t let us ride. Gene told him to release us from our seats. He did and we left. I understand this is Disney’s stated rule so we don’t have any choice but to comply or not ride. We did not ride. I think we rode Test Track before we moved into World Showcase.

We asked if it would be possible to be seated for lunch at San Angel Inn and it was so we dined there. From there, we wandered through the various countries. I saw a scarf in France that might make a nice Christmas gift for my daughter so kept that in mind. With Gene out of work, I didn’t do much buying on this trip – more window shopping than anything else. Our biggest expense(s) for the trip was really dining but all plans had been made long before and changing them would also have impacted my brother’s family so we forged on. On this day, I did purchase some cardboard coasters in Great Britain as I remembered Gene remarking we were on the last of a supply he had gotten in Germany while on a business trip.

At some point, I was able to connect with Chris who said he and his family planned to see Illuminations that night. That was my plan as well so said we would try to meet up then.

Gene & I went back to the resort and, since the evening was forecast to be cooler, changed into warmer clothing before heading back to our dinner reservation at Yachtsman’s Steak House. I believe we all bussed over together and walked through Epcot and then over to the Yacht Club. Dinner was very good and our server, Barry, was excellent! Throughout dinner, Sam kept saying he was tired. Poor kid! He wasn’t kidding! Once back in his stroller for the trip home, he fell sound asleep. I know how he felt as, for some reason, I was really exhausted by this point as well! Gone were any ideas of staying for Illuminations. I just wanted to get back to our room and put my feet up!

December 15, 2011
Thursday
Scott and Donna plan to take Sam to re-experience all his favorites today. This is their last full day as they have an early morning flight on Friday morning.

Gene & I will do sort of the same though with some specific goals in mind. Therefore, we split up for the day.

Since I want to go to Epcot, Animal Kingdom and Disney Studios, I figure we will get the first bus of the three that comes along. An Epcot bus arrived first so we boarded. Oops! My main reason for going here today was to buy the scarf in France and World Showcase will not open until 11. My other goal here today is to meet Chris and his family since I did not stay for Illuminations the night before so did not contact him then.

We got on Test Track one more time – a walk-on. We had also taken a ride on Figment. By time we came out of Test Track, it was a decent hour so I gave Chris a call. He was just entering the parking lot so we headed into the sissy side of Mission:Space which had a 5 minute wait and figured we’d meet up right after that. After we exited, I called Chris to find he was in the gift shop at Mission:Space. We met up just outside the doors. It was wonderful to finally put a real face on a fellow moderator! Chris’ wife, Ranae, is lovely and they have two wonderful boys, Caleb and Cole. We chatted for a bit and then each went on with our plans for the day.

With the scarf purchased, we stopped in the Patissiere for a ham and cheese sandwich for lunch (I liked it better when they were served on croissants instead of on beigets).
With my goals accomplished here, we were off to Hollywood Studios – oh dear, isn’t that the bus just pulling away now? Hmmm, we just passed the Animal Kingdom bus stop and that bus had not yet arrived. Let’s head there instead.

My goals for this park were to ride Expedition:Everest once more (if the standby line wasn’t too long) and to walk the Pagani Forest trail which we had not done when we were here earlier in the week. The time board lists Everest as 20 minutes – that’s doable. Unfortunately, we arrive just after the Nemo show has released and that has pushed the standby time up another 15 minutes. Still, the reality is that the wait time was really closer to the 20 minutes we expected. Is it just me?? If it were up to me, I’d remove every one of the bells that are in the waiting queue. (And I love bells – many of my Christmas ornaments are bells). Every time someone clangs one of those things, it seems to go right through my entire body – I feel headachy even before I get to the ride!

From there, we head over to the Pagani Trail. Coming back for this was totally worthwhile! A hippo was going round and round in the tank! In the past, we’ve felt lucky if we see one sleeping close to the window – we’ve never seen one on the move before!! The gorillas are in full view and are quite active!

Goals accomplished, we head to the Hollywood Studios bus stop. Goals here are to buy a t-shirt at Tower of Terror for Sam and to possibly ride Star Tours once more. Since I knew Scott & Donna planned to spend a chunk of the day here, I called when we arrived. We got on line at Tower of Terror. Donna called while I was on line so, of course, I did not answer it. We selected and purchased a t-shirt. Another goal accomplished. When we exited, I found they were heading to the Tower of Terror. Since Donna doesn’t ride this, we looked around for her and finally spotted her way down the street. Scott & Sam were on the ride. They had accomplished most of their goals for the day but had not been able to get back to the Cars show.

We skipped Star Tours and opted, instead, to head to the Poly where we had dinner reservations. We just missed the bus to the Poly but one to the Transportation and Ticket Center came along so we hopped on that and walked over to the Poly. We went to Tambu Lounge which was quiet when we arrived. Dave was our waiter and remembered me from our previous visits. We thought Scott and Donna would be along shortly but they got delayed and actually arrived late for our reservation.

With the changes they’ve made in checking in for O’Hana’s, it appears they’ve removed half the tables and chairs that used to be in the area outside O’Hana’s. As we tried to enjoy our drinks, it got more and more crowded and louder and louder. Finally, O’Hana’s began seating folks and the crowds began to disappear.

Our reservation at Kona was for 5:00 but it was closer to 5:20 before Scott and Donna arrived. They had returned to the hotel and then had bussed and monorailed over to the Poly. We were seated the moment they arrived and had a very nice dinner. Scott and I each selected the 3-course, 1-price option; the others did not. Sam, of course, had chicken nuggets and fries. My first course was pot stickers! Yum!! I had the mahi mahi which was good though not great and a chocolate lava thing for dessert which I could not finish. Gene helped finish it off. Scott & Donna weren’t terribly hungry as they had eaten a rather late lunch at Sci Fi.

I had thought about going into the Magic Kingdom after dinner to see the Main Street Electrical Parade which was scheduled for 7 but we would not have made that. Wishes was scheduled for 8 but we opted to watch from the Poly beach instead of going to the park. It was a good choice. Sam could play in the sand while we waited and we had a terrific view of the fireworks!

After the fireworks, we took the monorail to the Magic Kingdom and bussed home from there. Scott & Donna packed up all their things. We said our goodbyes this evening as they were leaving early enough that we would probably not be up yet.

faline
12-23-2011, 03:34 PM
December 16, 2011
Friday
I woke up briefly as Scott & Donna were leaving. Gene said he thought he heard Sam crying as they left though I did not hear that.

When we woke up, we had the place to ourselves which felt a bit weird. We got our packing done. When finished, we dragged our checked bags over to the airline resort check-in desk, left them, and got our boarding passes. I love our location!

We then loaded the other bags into the car and left our Old Key West home. We drove to the Transportation and Ticket Center, parked and took the monorail over to the Magic Kingdom. Our goal today was to do a few favorites and a few things we had not yet done on this trip. We visited the Haunted Mansion, Pirates, Big Thunder Mountain (which will be closed on our next trip), Winnie the Pooh, the People Mover, and Walt Disney World Railroad (which was our last ride of this trip).

For lunch, we monorailed over to the Grand Floridian and ate at the Grand Floridian Café. This is a wonderful spot for lunch and we often lunch here on the last day of our trip. After lunch, we took the boat back to the Magic Kingdom for a couple more hours.

Then…it was off to the airport. We dropped our rental car at the appointed spot after circling the airport for a second time since we selected the wrong side on the first go round. It wasn’t very crowded and we got through security quite well even though we had a bag pulled to go through a second time. I had put all the offending items from Boston into the same bag so was able to explain what they were and we were quickly on our way.

There was still another plane to leave from our gate before our scheduled flight so we stopped in a little Mexican place. There I heard a man telling another man that he had gotten through security without an ID – said he had lost his license on It’s A Small World when it fell out of his pocket. He said he had a picture of his ID on his computer which he had put there about a week before for another purpose and had been able to use the picture of his ID to clear security?? Not sure how that works.

We were quickly boarded and were told that there was a real strong tail wind which would bring our flying time down to 2 hours and 14 minutes. I meant to work on my trip notes during the flight but found I was really tired so I napped most of the way home instead. We did land around 10 p.m. which was about ½ hour earlier than we expected. On the minus side, it seemed to take a very long time for the luggage to begin appearing on the assigned carousel. It feels like whatever we made up in flying time, we lost in time waiting for luggage. So, by time we collected our luggage, caught the shuttle (which was at the curb as we exited the terminal) to our off-site parking site and got the car on the road, it was 11 p.m. before we were pointed homeward.

It was a wonderful trip!

DisneyorBust
12-23-2011, 08:32 PM
I thoroughly enjoyed reading each of your reports, really felt like I was in the parks.
Vacations to WDW should be followed up by two more days off....to recuperate! :D
Thanks for sharing your vacation.

ibelieveindisneymagic
12-23-2011, 09:25 PM
Linda - I love your trip reports! It make me feel like I'm there.

I'm glad you got to meet Chris - I can't wait to meet the other mods next year.

wildernesslady
12-24-2011, 03:04 PM
It sounds like you had another great trip. Enjoy the holidays.

MississippiDisneyFreak
12-27-2011, 08:05 PM
Thanks for the reports, sounds like you got a lot done:mickey:

vizsla
12-30-2011, 04:19 AM
Thanks for the report.

pdrlkr
12-30-2011, 06:35 PM
Thanks for the Report! :smickey:

mouseketeer mom
12-30-2011, 07:57 PM
Did you like MVMCP? Sounds like you didn't stay too long.
I love your reports. You mention details that are so much fun to read!

faline
01-01-2012, 03:26 PM
Did you like MVMCP? Sounds like you didn't stay too long.
I love your reports. You mention details that are so much fun to read!

Thank you!

We greatly enjoy Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party. Typically, when just the two of us go, we'll get to the park early and may have dinner within the park. If we time it right, the party will be beginning just as we finish dinner. We like to watch the holiday show on the Castle Stage. By time that finishes, it's time to find a spot for the first parade. After the first parade, almost time for the fireworks and following that the second parade. We typically do not plan to visit the attractions during the party and typically focus on what the party offers.

mouseketeer mom
01-02-2012, 07:35 AM
See, we do the same thing. We are finishing dinner in the park as the party is starting, then its almost time for parade, then shortly after fireworks. Then we sometimes just leave. This is the first year (at MNSSHP)..that we actually did rides too and stayed until the party was almost over.

MinnieMommie
01-03-2012, 09:32 PM
Wonderful trip and wonderful trip report! One thing about being blessed to visit WDW frequently is that you have done everything so many times it's ok if you miss an attraction or two (or more). I appreciate the serendipitous quality of your travels. This has been a fun vacation to read about! :mickey:

buzznwoodysmom
01-04-2012, 01:56 PM
I'm so sad your reports are over. I've really enjoying "tagging" along on your adventures. I love that you and your brother shared such a wonderful trip, and little Sam seems like a wonderful child to experience WDW with. Makes me miss my little guys when they were that age.

DizNee143
01-12-2012, 10:23 AM
What a great last couple of days!! You guys definitely kept busy..
Thank you for sharing your trip with all of us..as always I really enjoyed reading all about it!:mickey:

MizMissy
01-12-2012, 11:45 AM
Sounds like a wonderful trip!

I really enjoyed all the details in your reports. Thank you so much for sharing.