December 14, 2011
Wednesday

Who:
Gene
Linda
DB Scott
DSIL Donna
DN Sam

Usually, I’ve very good about doing daily notes but that has not held true on this trip so, since 3 days have passed since I last updated my notes, much will be from memory!

It is now closing in on 4:30 p.m. on Wednesday, December 14th. When I last left off, it was late Sunday afternoon and we were getting ready to head over to California Grill for dinner. We once again piled into Scott’s rental and drove over to the Contemporary. We arrived a bit early for our 7:30 p.m. reservations so headed to the Concourse area to see the large gingerbread tree there. The cast member offered to take a group picture of us. Gene didn’t bring his camera. Scott didn’t bring his camera. (They each have very nice digital SLR cameras!) The only one we had was a little point and shoot I carry so we used that – don’t think it’ll be the best picture we get out of this trip.

When we checked in they said they were seating about 10 minutes beyond the reservation time. When we got to the top, there were no places to perch. The entire lounge area was full (and a number of folks were dining in the lounge area) and the whole bar area was full as well. I finally noticed someone getting ready to leave from a window table and we were able to snag that while we waited. We each ordered cocktails (milk for Sam) and enjoyed the view. Finally, it was our time to be seated. We were led to a table at the far end of the room (away from the Magic Kingdom) and about as far back in the room as you could get so we essentially had no view.

Dinner, however, was wonderful and we had an excellent server. As I think back now, I can’t recall what I had except that I know I had the goat cheese ravioli for appetizer. I know Gene and my sister-in-law shared a flatbread for an appetizer and I don’t recall what my brother had. There was a Christmas party in the Magic Kingdom this evening and, for some reason, I thought the fireworks were scheduled to be later. As we were finishing up our coffee, our server informed us that the fireworks would be starting in about 15 minutes and that folks would be filling up the outside viewing areas soon. We went to the lookout area that sits further back from the Magic Kingdom as I figured it would be less crowded. It was but the other area that is usually mobbed was less crowded than usual for some reason. It had been a rather dreary day and the cloud cover was so low that many of the fireworks couldn’t be seen or could be barely seen. Still we enjoyed as much of the display that we could see as well as the music that was piped into the area where we were standing. We quickly returned home after the fireworks were over.

On Monday, Gene and I left ahead of Scott and Donna and bussed over to Hollywood Studios. We went directly to Toy Story Mania which was quite a madhouse. Originally, Gene got on the extremely long fast pass line and I followed the rest of the crowds onto the line. As I realized how long that line for fast passes really was, I called him and told him to forget the fast passes and just join me on line. The standby line was already listed as 35 minutes and it was about that. As we exited, there was no longer a line for fast passes and we were able to get a pair for 2:45 that afternoon.

From there, we went to Tower of Terror which was pretty much a walk on. We were now using umbrellas as it had started raining. We went to Rock n Roller Coaster and stood in the standby line which took half an hour or so. By this time, Scott and Donna had arrived and were in the gift shop at Tower of Terror so we met up with them there. Sam had indeed gone on “up down up down”.

When we were last at Disney World, it was just days before Star Tours opened so I wanted to do that. We all trekked over and experienced the new ride which was pretty good. Just after we got into the line, Darth Vadar walked by accompanied by a couple of storm troopers. Sam was looking in a different direction so Gene literally lifted him and placed him back down facing in the correct direction to see Darth Vadar. His eyes and mouth got so big and round!!

I think it was about time for our luncheon reservation at 50’s Prime Time Café so we headed there and checked in. We only waited a few minutes before we were seated. Gene and Scott each had the meatloaf though I don’t recall what they got to drink. Donna had chicken soup and a chocolate shake. I had fried chicken and vanilla coke. I believe Sam had chicken strips and goldfish which is de rigueur for him on this trip. Gene had a brownie sundae for dessert. Scott selected the S’mores and Sam had M & M’s. Donna and I abstained from dessert.

I don’t remember the exact order in which we did things that afternoon. I know that the rain had stopped long enough that the Lights, Motors show was going on as scheduled. Sam is crazy for this show – particularly Lightning McQueen’s appearance – so we did that. While waiting for the show to begin, we saw one of the cast members attempt to move a group of folks out of seating reserved for those with disabilities and their families. They were refusing to move. The cast member even asked if they had a guest assistance card. They did not. Another cast member came along and the two of them insisted the group move to another area. The group (there were four or five individuals in the group – all adults) finally got up to leave but were not pleasant about it. They clearly were taking note of the names on the cast members’ name tags and even attempted to take their pictures – each of the cast members told them they could not take their pictures.

At some point, we also went on the Studio Backlot Tour – for some reason there were no volunteers for the water tank portion of our tour. Scott and Donna had gotten fast passes for Toy Story Mania that had a start time of just 15 minutes later than the passes we had so we all did that. We also did the Indiana Jones show. At that point, Gene & I left the park and headed back to our room. Scott & Donna stayed a while longer and I know they were heading to “up down” (Tower of Terror) again.

Scott & Donna have just returned “home” and we’ll be leaving for dinner soon so more to come later….

mouseketeer mom
12-22-2011, 02:53 PM
Sounds like the table we had at Cali Grill on one of our trips. We walked and walked to get to it. It was in the rear of the restaurant, so far back!!!

princessgirls
12-22-2011, 03:10 PM
Linda,

Another great day!! What is better than a wide eyed boy taking the magic of Disney all in???

Sounds like a magical day!

Thanks for sharing.
Julie:mickey:

jillluvsdisney
12-22-2011, 06:50 PM
That FP line for Toy Story Mania is really something. My sister and I were at rope drop. We thought we'd be able to grab some FPs quick and still get in the stand by line right away. HA!! NOT!! We just stuck with the stand by line which took about 10 minutes. I wonder how long it would have gotten had we fought our way thru the FP kiosks first.

pdrlkr
12-23-2011, 01:11 PM
Thanks for the Report! :smickey:

DisneyorBust
12-23-2011, 08:13 PM
It still amazes me how many folks arrive at TSM just after park opening! And I'm always in the thick of the crowds adding to the craziness. :thumbsup:
Enjoying your reports!

vizsla
12-27-2011, 05:08 AM
Thanks for the report.

MississippiDisneyFreak
12-27-2011, 08:00 PM
Thanks for the report...we witnessed similar reactions to people wanting to sneak into the fantasmic package section. There really was no need either as there were plenty of seats available at that time.:mad:

WDWCrazyKaren
01-03-2012, 09:51 AM
You (gasp) abstained from dessert????? What the....?

MinnieMommie
01-03-2012, 09:03 PM
It sounds like the fireworks and sound system were nice for you at Cali. I wish they would add another Toy Story at DHS (I know totally wishful thinking on my part). I don't see the demand for this attraction ever letting up. Great that you got the fast pass in addition to waiting not so long in line during the morning. Your nephew is a very good traveler - looks like a future Disney park fan. :mickey:

faline
01-04-2012, 07:51 AM
Your nephew is a very good traveler - looks like a future Disney park fan. :mickey:

Yes, when asked, he would be ready to go back again!!

buzznwoodysmom
01-04-2012, 01:32 PM
Another great installment. The first time we dined at Cali Grill we had a table pretty far back, but this last time we had a fantastic window table. We enjoy watching Wishes from the balcony so honestly, our table location didn't really matter much to us.

How rude of those guests at LMA. I hate when guests think they can do whatever they want and get away with it.

DizNee143
01-12-2012, 09:51 AM
Really sounds like you guys are having a great time and your nephew is definitely a trooper I hope my daughter will be half as good as he is..she'll only be 2 1/2 when we go in may!:mickey: