PDA

View Full Version : Help-Arriving Tomorrow-Need Special Needs Stroller

princessamygrant
12-21-2011, 05:21 PM
Please help! We are arriving in Orlando tomorrow with our daughter, 11, who has cerebral palsy, and needs a special needs stroller. I called Orlando Stroller Company, and thought I had reserved a Liberty Pushchair, but called to confirm today and was told they don't have one. I'm totally in a panic as we are en route from WI and scheduled to go to WDW on 12/23! Any ideas where I can rent from besides them? I also called a medical supply company who we have rented from in the past, and they don't rent those types of strollers any more. (I've also tried a "regular" stroller and she doesn't fit-at 74 lbs, she's just too big for a standard jogger).

VWL Mom
12-21-2011, 05:57 PM
I have no personal experience but googled it for you and came up with this possibility:

Mobility Equipment Rental in Orlando
Telephone: (800) 308-2503 * Office: (407) 438 -8010 $65.00 per week

The Maclaren Major Buggy Stroller holds up to 130 lb. (59 kg) but is lightweight for portability weighing only 15.4 pounds (7 kg). Great for travel, shopping, or quick outings, it is a stroller designed for safety, convenience and durability.

The Maclaren Major Buggy Stroller is a convenient special needs stroller buggy for children to small adults. This special needs stroller will comfortably carry a large child yet fold up to the size of an oversized umbrella. With footrest removed it folds to 10"x10"x44" for compact storage.

ibelieveindisneymagic
12-21-2011, 05:59 PM
I also did some searching and it seems that Kingdom Strollers (407-271-5301) has a a model for kids up to 75 lbs.

Strmchsr
12-21-2011, 06:01 PM
Try Apple Scooter. They have been excellent and I had a great experience with them. And I think they have what you need.

princessamygrant
12-21-2011, 08:46 PM
@VWL Mom, Mobility Equipment is who I rented from in the past and they are no longer renting the special needs Maclaren stroller, which is unfortunate because it only cost $50 compared to the $120 that Orlando Stroller Rental wanted to charge me.

@ibelieveindisneymagic, the problem with the strollers doesn't tend to be the weight so much as it is the height. She's 11 years old so way taller than a toddler (she's about 54" tall) and she weighs about 75 pounds. A traditional stroller or jogging stroller will not accommodate her.

@strmchsr, I have looked on their website, but I don't see anything that states that they have a stroller. She's too young to have a stroller and a wheelchair isn't something that is a great option as I'm 5'10" and my husband is 6'8" so we are really tall and bending over a wheelchair all day to get her where she needs to go is not going to make for too many happy days in a crowded park.

Thanks for trying to help. Seriously feeling frustrated....

VWL Mom
12-21-2011, 09:22 PM
Did you try Care Medical Equipment Phone (407) 856-2273 • Toll Free U.S and Canada (800) 741-2282

On their website under more products they list Maclaren "Major Buggy" and Pogon. These are very nice strollers (umbrella type) for the bigger child or small handicapped adult. Rated from 40 to 140 lbs.

tgmousechick
12-21-2011, 09:36 PM
Perhaps a call to Give Kids the World? ?They may have contacts to other medical supply companies

princessamygrant
12-22-2011, 10:38 AM
@VWL Mom, you are a lifesaver!!!!! I called them this morning and they were super friendly and helpful. It seems like they have something that will work, and it's actually about $30 less than going with the other company. We are going to stop by their office on the way down today and give it a shot! Thanks so much for your suggestion.

VWL Mom
12-22-2011, 12:43 PM
Great, hope it works out for you. Have a great trip :mickey: