PDA

View Full Version : Our Very Merry DISNEYmoon Celebration - 12/9/2011 - Day 1 (Part 1)

brivers222
12-21-2011, 04:08 PM
Cast of Characters:
Adrianne - DW (referred to as YO!)
Brandon - Me, myself and I (referred to as such)

LEG: 1 of 2
DATES: 12/9/11 - 12/14/11
DINING: Deluxe Dining Plan (3 meals / 2 snacks per person per night) = 30 dining Credits and 20 Snack credits

DAY #1 Agenda (12/9/2011): Flight, Alamo rental, Wal-Mart (you know the pre-arrival at Disney portion)

I spent most of Thursday night 12/8/2011 doing laundry and packing my suitcases. I decided that undershirts, boxers and socks would be toss away (I usually bought new stuff and took it with me) but this trip I bought new stuff and put it in my dresser at home... Little did my undergarments know, but this was their last trip.... their final resting place will be in a trash bag "off stage" at Disney. My parents bought me a 3 piece luggage set and YO!'S Dad and step mom bought her some new luggage. We also decided that all toiletries and none essential medicines would be bought at Wal-Mart enroute to the Poly once arriving at MCO. This worked out nicely as we could focus more on clothing (as the weather reports for kind of up in the air about temperature and such).... So we packed long sleeves, short sleeves, sweaters, pants, and shorts and can't forget some light weight jackets. After all it was 20-degrees currently outside as I was packing. I bought a new pair of New Balance shoes the day before (yeah I know horrible Idea not breaking them in...But I planned for that and had my trusty old pair of shoes waiting in wings)... They waited in Wings the entire trip as I forget them lol. We managed to pack all of our clothes in two checked in bags (we were both allowed 3 free 70lb checked bags via First class ticket) So I wasn't really worried about weight of them. What I was nervous about was the restrictions for Carry-on luggage. Liquids were not a problem because we were buying all that stuff once we landed. But my concern was carry-on luggage bag and my camera backpack... since both were rather large. None the less if I had to check it in at the gate sobeit. We set out all of our bags and stuff about midnight and wanted to get to bed as our pickup was at 6am. I was too excited to sleep, well excited and nervous... am I really flying down? Is the 2-1/2 hour flight really worth it against the 19hour car ride? Only time will tell!

So I had to get Octavius "GusGus" (our 3 year old Kitty names after Cinderella’s famed fatty mouse) all set up with food and litter cleaned... He knew something was up with us moving around luggage and whatnot, you could tell it in his eyes. I felt bad for the little guy. However, YO!'s aunt was more than willing to stop by every day to feed, water and play with him so that was another worry gone. The time flew by way to quick, before I knew it the 5am alarm went off. Checked my delta app to see that the plane was still on-time and got ready to jump in the shower. That is when I noticed Mother Nature decided to really give us a good send off to Florida....2 inches of snow and still falling... OH GREAT?!?!? I was having all sorts of visions popping in my head with our flight... delays being the biggest of them considering we had that stupid Cancellation policy dinner at Chef Mickey's and non-refundable MVMCP set for later that night.

Our Limo (did I mention it was our Disneymoon?? I am doing this up right!) Was picking us up at 6am at our house for an 8:40am flight out of Detroit Metro (DTW) on Delta Flight 1923. Now I haven't been on an airplane in 18 years and never since 9/11... So I was quite nervous about everything and anything about the flight. At first in my pre-report you would remember that I was concerned that my Pooh-sized frame would not be crammed into their restrictive 17" seats in Economy. Well disaster avoided, I upgraded to First Class (it’s our Disneymoon, remember? Doing it up right!). So that was one less worry.... However the snow caused the limo driver to be insanely late, mind you in my mind he was like 3 hours late, but in reality I think it was 10mins at most. We loaded up all the suitcases and stuff in the trunk of the limo and checked over the house for any last minute forgets... my eyes went directly over my trusty shoes and didn't even raise a warning flag... We found gusgus hiding under the dining room table... he knew something was amiss. Gosh I am going to miss that furball!!!!

The traffic wasn't that bad but it was a lot slower with the fresh white stuff falling and collecting. Items of note, that the driver had an insane amount of cologne on and it was suffocating both YO! and myself (or was that our nerves...no... I am sure it was his cologne) and to make matters worse our seatbelts were constantly locked so we couldn’t reach the rear controls on the center console to turn down the oven we were in. I ended up placing my hat over the vent to block the hot air. Sure we could have just asked him to turn it down but it was early and our voice boxes didn't work yet.

A little sidebar with important and much need information about that hat above... How many of you saw our wedding slideshow I posted in the other forum? Those that did will notice that I had the famed Mickey Eared top hat for my reception grand entrance. Well that is the same hat I am talking about. I wore that through DTW proudly! Now many will know that they no longer offer that top hat, instead that UGLY beany tuxedo shirt/hat for the guys... That was unacceptable for my DISNEYmoon!!! Earlier in the year I had my parents buy a cheap set of Mickey ears while down there. I bought a cheap top hat on Amazon for $6 (including shipping!!) and we created it Frankenstein style. It looks amazing and got SEVERAL complements from guests, CMs and others during my stay... when I say several, I am talking about maybe 25-35 people asking in my short 11 day stay... Disney sure lost out on sales with this decision!

So back to my story, we arrived at DTW with about an hour to spare. Which was fine by me because I have no idea how to go through DTW or even TSA for that matter... I was really getting nervous. The limo driver let us out and unloaded our baggage. With a quick non-descript money exchange we were set loose inside DTW enroute to the Delta Terminal. Yo holmes, smell you later! The night before I checked in using the Delta App, but I wasn't feeling very confident in the correctness of it being strictly on my phone.. I want to kill trees, I NEED paper in my hands! So we went to the desk. I started getting a bit nervous about the weight of our bags as they seem way heavier today than then did last night. Ugh, its go time... bag one on the scale..........43lbs........... even less than the 50lbs allowed for coach.... Embarrassment set in thinking about how that felt so heavy before. Next bag on the scale........47lbs....... No way? really? Both are less than 50lbs?! Wow okay we are good. Got our boarding passes and made our way to the security.

This was the moment of truth, I have been preparing for this encounter for about a year now.... will I make it through or will I get detained never to be seen again?! I didn't have a belt on so all I had to do was take the hat, shoes, wallet, and phone and place it in the bins. Did I mention I was wearing my custom made Tuxedo Hockey Jersey for my arrival to Disney? Well if not, I WAS!!!! It was a white hockey jersey designed like a tux (you will see it in pictures) and it was letter with 11's on the sleeves and GROOM #12 on the back. Our wedding date was 11.12.11. TSA got a kick out of it and actually calmed my nerves by talking and commenting about it. Went through the total body scan without incident. Now the reclaiming all your stuff is quite the experience... shoes, hat, wallet, camera bag, carry-on, check! Whoops wait I forgot my phone; phew there it is waiting for me. We ate a quick breakfast at some deli right past security gate. It was yummy and much needed to help ease our nerves about the flight portion of our trip. In the grand scheme of things, it wasn't needed for our waist line as we were going to be eating on the Deluxe Dining plan... but it was good at the time. Hindsight 20/20. Now I had one thing I really wanted to do... that was buy Cotton Candy because when I was younger my mom would buy cotton candy and give it to us when we were flying through the clouds.... we were eating the clouds. Well times have changed because nobody sold any form of cotton candy... cotton everything else, just not candy. Oh well, you win some you lose some.

Please see 1st comment below for continuation of part 1

PLEASE SEE MY PREVIOUS REPORTS FOR THIS TRIP:

PRE-TRIP: http://www.intercot.com/discussion/showthread.php?t=183080

brivers222
12-21-2011, 04:11 PM
We made it to our terminal with about 20mins to spare. It was nice being able to board first. However, the new show PAN-AM spoiled me... airlines have downgraded in the years with their flight attendants... maybe that is why Alcohol is Free for first class?. We left the terminal on time with an expected arrival in overcast 76-degree Orlando at 11:33am. Now I haven't been on a plane in 18 years but I still could tell we were taxing for a rather long period of time.... where on earth is that runway?! Turns out we had some "snow contamination" on our plane and we needed to have our plane de-iced. Joys! That ate up another 15mins, although it was interesting seeing the machines work. I took this opportunity to order Deltas version of a Rum Runner called the Rumway Runner... it was delicious and just what I needed. We were then once again on the move.... YO! and I held hands during takeoff because we were both nervous... so much so both of our hands were there ewwww gross sweaty/clamy feeling. Within about 10mins we were off the ground and in the air. It was a 2-1/2 hour in air flight so they served first class Breakfast. It wasn't all that good. Raisin Brand cereal and a Croissant with some milk. I ate around the raisins and called it a meal. That’s fine, in less than 6 hours we will be eating with the mouse and the other members of the Fab Five!

The rest of the flight was uneventful thankfully and by 12pm we were touching down in Orlando. Its funny as soon as you touch down its like a course of electronics to welcome you... everyone’s phones were going off with missed texts and whatnot. We live in a digital age after all. Upon gathering our carryon luggage and heading to our first monorail ride back to the luggage gate of MCO. Once there we took in the Xmas tree and decorations there and noted that they had an outback steakhouse there... yummy! Down to our luggage, would it appear or would it not? Luckily both appeared in the first 5 pieces of luggage off the plane. Next up heading to Alamo to see about our PREMIUM rental car. Yeah I decided to keep the premium one for $198 for the 11-days... it was only $50 more than the economy aveo after all. We also decided to not chance it and took out the LDW just for piece of mind that we didn't need to spend time documenting all the dings and whatnot on the car. If all I return is a steering wheel, that’s all I return lol. Alamo was actually really easy. We were 2nd inline at the counter and taken within moments of getting in line. The clerk tried to tempt me to upgrade by saying for only $100 more you can have a Dodge Challenger... Ugh, that the car I want...Seeing how I design the wire harness for it, I have developed and unhealthy lust for it! Never the less, I held strong and said, no thank you, we won’t be driving much. Our paperwork checked out and we were then pointed across the street to the garage to get our car.

A little confused on what to do next, but we were pointed to a row and told pick what car you want? Ohhhhhh really? It’s like Christmas in Orlando. I saw a ford Taurus but then my eyes found shiny silver 2011 Chrysler 300... Another car that we work on the wiring for but never actually got to ride in one. This is it... this is our car. Luggage loaded in the trunk, ooops wait reopen the trunk the roll of change and tom tom is in the bags! Okay, plugged in a ready to go...only problem is Tom did not really like our new location and didn't want to connect to satellite. No problem, that’s what my iphone can do.... except it doesn't seem to care about the more expensive tolls... oh well, we are on vacation lets fire this baby up and see what it can do. We were out on the open road (have to watch it because 70mph expressways in Michigan are a rarity) easy there tiger! I find what looks to be a nice alternative to get to Wal-Mart... Wrong choice that will be an extra $3 in tolls overall to Disney oopps okay that was my bad. We make it to Wal-Mart at about 12:45pm and go in to load up on toiletries... Yes I am the one wearing a hockey jersey and pants in the 76-degree weather. Don't judge me; we just had our plane de-iced about 4 hours ago!!!! We were out of there by 1:30 and on our way to the Polynesian.

Now this portion of the story is where I end for now.... I know you are all wondering why you spent all that time reading this just to have it stop before we get anywhere?? Well i want to build anticipation of course!

So until Part 2.... Good Day! :)

faline
12-21-2011, 08:07 PM
You've landed and are ready to start your vacation! Yippee!!

yjgirl32
12-22-2011, 09:40 AM
I am loving your report. I also love the idea of the jersey- very cool and the top hat- thanks for sharing.

brivers222
12-22-2011, 10:15 AM
You are very welcome!

Because of the Holidays and everything it may take a bit longer to post all the reviews but I will get it done.

I am off all next week so I have some time to write. Not to mention photobucket doesnt like having to upload 400 pics at time.... multiply that by 11 haha

My Canon t3i was amazing, I took over 800 pictures a day and diligently removed down to 400 of them (two facebook albums each with 200 in them) So pictures there will be!

pdrlkr
12-23-2011, 01:14 PM
Thanks for the Report! :smickey:

Jennifer_and_Chris
12-27-2011, 07:52 PM
Isn't it funny that the beginning of December brought more snow that the middle and end of December!

Seriously, you picked like the only day it snowed anything substantial to leave on your first plane trip in 18 years! :D

What are the odds?

And of course you had to have a hockey tux jersey coming from Red Wing country!:thumbsup:

Jennifer_and_Chris
12-27-2011, 07:56 PM
Oh, and just a side note....

Funny that you are a wire harness designer? I was a recruiter for several years for Delphi and GM...specializing in wire harness engineers/designers/technicians.... haahaa...

wow, that was going down memory lane! :thumbsup:

MississippiDisneyFreak
12-27-2011, 08:17 PM
Whew, that was some start

TinkerbellT421
12-27-2011, 08:35 PM
Thanks for the report!! Helping me feel like I'm living the dream with you. Trip reports is all I have for another 24 days!! :mickey: