PDA

View Full Version : Baking With INTERCOT

Scar
12-21-2011, 02:58 PM
I guess the "Cooking" thread hasn't been around for awhile so...

I'm a decent cook for basic stuff but I've never had any desire to bake. Yesterday I had an odd desire to bake brownies. I like moist fudge like brownies so I got Pillsbury fudge brownie mix and followed the instructions to a T (not difficult. ;)) Well, they weren't really moist or fudge like. They're good, but just regular dry brownies.

Any advice from expert bakers out there? I'll do it from scratch but would rather try another mix maybe with altering the instructions. :shrug:

Dulcee
12-21-2011, 03:23 PM
I love, love, love to bake and while some things can be doctored from mixes, I've never felt brownies to be one of them. This is my go to recipe. It's from Alton Brown and it without a doubt serves up lovely thick fudgy brownies time and time again.

It's also just as easy as a boxed mix. My only words of wisdom, if you want nicely cut brownies you have to wait for them to cool. We however usually scoop them hot with some vanilla ice cream because we can't resist temptation :thedolls:

Ingredients

Soft butter, for greasing the pan
Flour, for dusting the buttered pan
4 large eggs
1 cup sugar, sifted
1 cup brown sugar, sifted
8 ounces melted butter
1 1/4 cups cocoa, sifted
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1/2 cup flour, sifted
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt

Directions

Preheat the oven to 300 degrees F. Butter and flour an 8-inch square pan.

In a mixer fitted with a whisk attachment, beat the eggs at medium speed until fluffy and light yellow. Add both sugars. Add remaining ingredients, and mix to combine.

Pour the batter into a greased and floured 8-inch square pan and bake for 45 minutes. Check for doneness with the tried-and-true toothpick method: a toothpick inserted into the center of the pan should come out clean. When it's done, remove to a rack to cool. Resist the temptation to cut into it until it's mostly cool.

VWL Mom
12-21-2011, 04:01 PM
My boys like Duncan Hines Chewy Fudge Brownie mix. There are 2 sets of directions on the back, one for cake brownies and one for fudge brownies.

Important to remember with fudge brownies - don't overcook! With these the toothpick will be moist, not clean and dry like cake brownies.

disneymom15
12-21-2011, 04:39 PM
Ghirardelli has a pretty good box mix. Very moist and chocolately.

magicofdisney
12-21-2011, 06:50 PM
Yeah, you definitely have to watch your baking time with brownies (maybe underbake by a minute or two).

One of my favorite tricks is to use coconut oil instead of vegetable oil. I love the flavoring it adds. You can add slightly more than the recipe calls for and get a moister brownie.

Another thing I've done is add additional ingredients. Besides what's in the box, I'll add mini marshmallows to the mix.

My girls did a lot of baking yesterday for the holidays and brownies was one of the items they baked. :)

brad192
12-21-2011, 11:19 PM
Be very careful in altering recipies. I put myself thru college as a baker, and I can tell you from expreience that it can end in disaster.

Baking is a science, not an art. Slight alterations in recipies can be wonderful, but large deviations will certainly spell disaster.

For moister brownies, try adding a little extra liquid (oil or water), but increase the baking time by 5 mins. Another trick is to decrease the baking temperature by 25 degrees.

If you want an over the top, decadent brownie, try "frosting" them with either peanut butter (think Reeses Peanut Butter Cups on steroids), mint frosting, or german chocolate frosting. Each one of these were HUGE sellers at the bakeries I worked at during college. :thumbsup:

azdisneymom
12-22-2011, 02:28 PM
OK this may look gross at first glance but give it a try:

Start with your favorite recipe (box or scratch)
drain and puree 1 can of beets
add beets to brownie mix
add 1/2 cup of chocolate chips and bake as usual

They are moist and delicious.

(I have added pureed beets and spinach to chocolate cupcakes and all the neighborhood kids loved them. Just don't let them know the secret incrediants.)