PDA

View Full Version : Status Update On New Value Suites

magicman
12-20-2011, 09:44 AM
Does anyone have a status update on the new Value Suites that were being developed near Pop Century? (The buildings that were initially intended to be Pop Century Golden Years.)

MstngDrvnDsnyLvr
12-20-2011, 10:22 AM
It is now called The Art of Animation - They are slated to open in phases starting summer of 2012 (June). And their cost - well - it sure doesn't seem like Value pricing to me.

DizneyRox
12-20-2011, 12:22 PM
Compared to a other suites on property, it's actually quite a bargain. Price out a 2BR at a DVC resort. Most 1BR only sleep 4.

disneynarula
12-22-2011, 10:09 AM
Wouldn't it be better to price compare with a one bedroom villa? It's still only one bedroom and a seperate sleeping area. You do get two bathrooms and you only get one in a one bedroom villa. The villas have a full kitchen and a washer and dryer and the suites at Art of Animation only have a ktichenette.

Buttercup
12-22-2011, 10:12 AM
I wouldn't compare it at all to a Villa or a DVC. The amenities at those places is much, much better than what is offered at Art of Animation.

I consider it more like booking 2 adjoining rooms at a Value, only one of the rooms doesn't have real beds, and you get a fridge & microwave as a bonus. And instead of sleeping 8 people (like you would in 2 adjoining regular rooms) you can only sleep 6 in these suites. But it costs more than 2 adjoining rooms.

Sleeps less people...
But you get a bar fridge and microwave... So they charge you more. ???
Makes no sense to me....

DizneyRox
12-22-2011, 01:09 PM
The number of people actually has a pretty big impact. Try cruising by yourself, you just about have to pay for a second person as a "penalty" for traveling alone.

You're converting two rooms capable of sleeping 8 people into one room. That's at least 2 people's park tickets gone ($500) plus food for the week ($350 as an estimate), plus...

That's what the premium is for...

I'd guess that most people aren't choosing the value suites for the size, amenities, more than they are for sleeping arrangements. Meaning you're not getting A couple staying in the suites for more leg room, they are families of 5 that don't want to/can't splurge for a deluxe. But disney could shoehorn more people into that space, actually almost another entire family vacation! That's a few thousand typically!

Buttercup
12-22-2011, 04:51 PM
The number of people actually has a pretty big impact. Try cruising by yourself, you just about have to pay for a second person as a "penalty" for traveling alone.

You're converting two rooms capable of sleeping 8 people into one room. That's at least 2 people's park tickets gone ($500) plus food for the week ($350 as an estimate), plus...

That's what the premium is for...

I'd guess that most people aren't choosing the value suites for the size, amenities, more than they are for sleeping arrangements. Meaning you're not getting A couple staying in the suites for more leg room, they are families of 5 that don't want to/can't splurge for a deluxe. But disney could shoehorn more people into that space, actually almost another entire family vacation! That's a few thousand typically!
Okay but here's the thing... if you have a family of 5, is it worth it to pay soooooo much more for a suite at Art of Animation, when really the only bonus you're getting is a bar-sized fridge and a microwave... oh, and the kids get the novelty of sleeping on a fold-down table?
Or wouldn't it be more wise to get 2 adjoining rooms at a different Value resort for much, much less?
I don't know who told the Disney execs that people would be willing to pay more for less, but it just doesn't make sense to me.

I've been on cruises and I know about the single supplement (charging more because you're a single person requesting a room to yourself). And cruiselines can get away with charging that because there's no alternative. If you wanna go on the cruise by yourself, you gotta pay the extra money. But it's not the same at Disney World: you have alternatives like booking 2 adjoining rooms for a significantly lower rate. So what is the appeal of the suites at AoA that make it worth so much more money? Is it the theming? Is it the fridge & microwave? I don't get it.

LVT
12-22-2011, 05:21 PM
Re: two rooms are cheaper.
However there is no guarantee that you will get connecting rooms. The surety that the family sleeps together +2 baths+kitchenette, does matter to many people, according to the comments on this forum.

More than 2 adults has a per added adult surcharge. I do not know if that is the case with the Family suites.

DizneyRox
12-22-2011, 07:37 PM
Oh, I didn't say it was better to get a suite rather than two rooms, heck, I've gotten a room on site and never opened the door just to get the "benefits" of being on-site.

I'm just saying, there's a reason why these are priced, and just because they are billed as values, that doesn't mean are priced as other value rooms. It's all relative...

March Hare
12-22-2011, 11:20 PM
Another reason for getting a suite over two rooms for a family is if they are on the dining plan. I have done both and find it difficult to keep track of meal credits with two rooms because they are split and sometimes they make mistakes and charge the rooms the wrong amount of meal credits. In the suites all the meal credits are on one room so less chance for mistakes and easier to keep track and not all families can afford a deluxe suite or villa

disneynarula
12-23-2011, 08:44 AM
You could actualy get three rooms at a value for that price. We have never been denied at least two connecting rooms. I will just be interested to see how popular they end up being. I think I am going to book at Fort Wilderness instead. There is one less bathroom but it costs a little less and then if a free dining promotion comes along you get the Standard Dining Plan instead of the CS. You also get a better discount at the moderate range with an AP. They also have a full size ktichen.

The theming is really cool at AofA! My boys would love it! I am not saying I wouldn't stay there. I just don't think it's "Value Priced"

IrishFamily
01-04-2012, 08:54 PM
We had a value suite once and it was perfect. My husband and I had our own sleeping quarters. And our teenage nephew and 2 young sons had their own space AND their own bathroom. Don't underestimate two bathrooms with 4 male humans. Also, the kitchenette makes it much easier to do breakfast in the room.....more than just a microwave and frigdge. There is a real sink and storage and counters. We also do breakfast in our room in Port Orleans but it is much more difficult with the space. AND, theming at the Value resorts is better for little ones. I know the price is more than 2 connecting rooms but I think it is worth it.