PDA

View Full Version : SSR or OKW

disneynarula
12-20-2011, 07:39 AM
We are headed out to WDW in October. Any thoughts on what resort people like more? OKW or SSR? We stayed at SSR before and the kids loved the zero entry pool there. I like the pool too since the kids could wade it without me having to hold them in the pool the whole time. Does anyone like OKW better? Why?

We spend a lot of time in the parks but usually come back in the middle of the day for a pool break or nap.

It the parks close early we will probably need some ways to entertain our older boys at night.

At this point my kids are non swimmers. We currently live in Germany and really don't take them swimming. It's pretty shameful that they can't swim but that is the reality of it.

Travel Party
ME (mid thirties)
DH (mid thirties)
MIL (mid sixties)
DS (6,8)
DD (2)

greengeen
12-20-2011, 06:14 PM
They are both wonderful resorts. Many people prefer OKW because the villas are huge (bigger than any other DVC resort), and they have been recently renovated. Both resorts have nice feature pools and good "quiet" pools. I like the gift shop, bar, and restaurant at OKW better, but that's a personal opinion. I would choose OKW, but you can't go too wrong with SSR either.

P.S. Get those bambinos some swimming lessons! Not a recreation issue, but a safety one. You could use this vacation as a chance to get their feet wet. :cool::cool:

faline
12-20-2011, 06:24 PM
I can't do a comparison as I've not yet stayed at Saratoga Springs.

We did just return from a stay at Old Key West. It was not my first choice for this stay but, in the end, I was extremely happy with our accommodations.

We were directly across the steet from Hospitality House which was a wondeful location. We found the bus transportation to all the parks to be quite efficient and no park was too far away. One night, we ate at Olivia's and enjoyed our meal there along with the service.

During this trip, we did not get a chance to use the pool. It was "almost" but not quite, swimming weater. The temps were generally warm enough but the days were mostly cloudy and that dimmed our enthusiasm for trying out the pool.

I did like the boat to Downtown Disney - that was definitely a plus.

For this trip, we booked a 2 bedroom as my brother and his family traveled with us. We had four adults and one active 4 year old. The accommodations worked very well for us - we had a lovely common area with lots of space for the 4 year old to burn off excess energy. Our guests had a spacious suite - the only downside being the proximity to the common space which could be disruptive to sleep if things in the common area were a bit lively. The master suite was certainly spacious - so much so that the toilet seemed to be quite a long walk from the bed! Both bedrooms included double sinks which was another plus.

I was also surprised to find a full size washer and dryer which was used daily.

Bottom line - I would not hesitate to select Old Key West!

MinnieMommie
01-02-2012, 11:11 AM
Both great resorts but my preference is for SSR. For your boys there will be more pool options to choose from at SSR (including 2 zero entry, small pools at Grandstand and Congress and the new amazing one built between the Paddock and Carousel buildings which will have a lot of activities to keep your boys occupied). We love the food options at SSR for both counter service and sit down venues love being able to either walk or take the boat to DD from SSR. If you are golfers SSR is also a better option.Also in addition to a very happy and active community room the spa at SSR can not be beat! Each resort is great but with a different feel. :mickey: