12-19-2011, 11:19 AM
December 9, 2011
Friday

Who: Gene
Linda
DB Scott
DSIL Donna
DN Sam

As I write this, it’s about a quarter to 8 in the morning and we’ve just taken off from Logan Airport aboard our Jet Blue flight to Orlando. We will be joining my brother and his family who flew in yesterday and spent last evening at Wilderness Lodge. Today, we’ll be checking into a 2 bedroom unit at Old Key West.

A couple of weeks ago, I had checked on my flights and discovered that our seats for the flight to Orlando had disappeared. When I went to select seats, only 3 or four were available and were scattered throughout the back part of the plane so I called Jet Blue directly. They admitted they had not carried my seat assignment forward when they had rebooked my flight after I called to get money into our travel bank following a reduction in fare. However, I was told there was nothing that could be done and I would have to check with the desk when I arrived at the airport. I said that was not acceptable and asked to speak with a supervisor. The person I was talking with said he had just spoken with the supervisor and was told nothing more could be done. I again asked to speak with the supervisor and this time was put through. The supervisor gave me the same story and said I could purchase the more expensive more legroom seats (another $60 for the two of us) or could check with the desk when I got to the airport and they “might” upgrade me into the more expensive seats for no extra charge. I asked if I could use money in our travel banks to pay for the more expensive seats and was told that was not possible. He said I would have to check at the desk when I arrived. Given how full the flight was already looking, I stated it appeared that no seats might be available when I arrived at the airport and asked him how we were going to resolve this. He came back and said he could assign us seats 6e and 6f. I stated those seats did not appear to be available but he said he could assign them to us and he did. I don’t know what he did with the folks who may have had those seats but, as indicated, those seat assignments appeared on my reservation and that is exactly where we are seated! The seats are, in fact directly in front of the two seats I had originally chosen when I made my flight reservations.

For us, yesterday was spent packing and organizing. I was pretty tired by the end of the day and was falling asleep with the tv on so settled in to sleep which went well until around 2 this morning when sleep would come no more. We needed to be up by a quarter to 4 anyway. Gene got out of bed at 3:30 and, since I was already awake I got myself out of bed as well. We got ourselves on the road to the off-site parking lot right at 4:30 a.m. The car was dropped and we got the shuttle over to Jet Blue. The other passengers on the shuttle has an infant, a car seat, a stroller etc. etc and our shuttle driver got permission to drop us on the right level for departures due to the amount of luggage they had. We used the curbside checkin for our checked bags which went smoothly.

Security, however, was another matter. When we got there, Gene offered to allow the man behind us in line to go on through but he declined. Big mistake on his part and big apologies on mine to anyone else who ended up stuck behind us. One of my bags was pulled for a hand search. The agent then decided to run it through again. In the interim, another carryon was selected to run through the machine a second time. The bag that was hand searched went through a second time and they still didn’t like something in it. They finally determined the offending item was the stand for my GPS system (I don’t usually take my GPs but we happen to be renting a car this time). Finally, that bag was returned to us. In the interim, they put the other carry through a third time and then asked what we had in there that was a long stick like sort of thing. That’s Gene’s camera monopod – an item he left at home on our last couple of trips. Finally, all of our luggage was returned to us and we were free to head to the gate.

After all of this, we arrived at our gate about 25 minutes before boarding began. They first boarded the extra leg room seats but not many folks stepped forward (Some folks may have been at the wrong gate as they initially listed our flight as leaving from gate 33 but moved it to gate 30. ) They then boarded babies and those needing extra assistance but only 1 person with a baby came forward though someone in a wheelchair arrived after they began boarding rows 20 and back. Still not lots of folks entered the plane. Then suddenly, they announced boarding for all passengers so we were aboard much earlier than I expected we would be. It seemed to take us a while to move back from the gate but we finally did and had a smooth takeoff. Currently, we are cruising just off the coast. I can see sand and beachfront communities out the window of the plane. From the map, it looks like we are just south of New York about now. They’ve just served drinks so I have my cup of Dunkin’ Donuts coffee and am waiting for them to come through with the snacks. Gene is already disappointed that they are not serving chocolate chip cookies on this flight!!

More to come……

wildernesslady
12-19-2011, 11:25 AM
I'm glad there were no seat surprises at the airport. It is so exciting to have a vacation beginning.

Disney4us2
12-19-2011, 11:30 AM
Glad you finally got your seat situation resolved. Going through TSA is a real hit or miss thing. Hope you have a great holiday visit.

DisneyorBust
12-19-2011, 04:56 PM
I was happy to read that you were able to get appropriate seats for your flight. It's a shame that they made the mistake are weren't all that concerned with customer service. Glad that it worked out.
Let the vacation begin!

AgentC
12-19-2011, 05:40 PM
Glad you got your seats and made it through security. I always seem to get picked for extra screening so I sympathize. :)

chechas
12-20-2011, 07:32 AM
Wow! What a pain going through security. Hope the rest of the trip went smooth!

Jennifer_and_Chris
12-20-2011, 12:56 PM
Well, almost half the battle of getting there is done. Hope that you get to OKW safe, sound and SANE! :D

brivers222
12-21-2011, 01:26 PM
Yikes see that was exactly what i was afraid of with my first flight in 17 years! Thankfully for us, nothing like that happened... Detroit Metro and Delta treated us pretty decent, which helped ease my nerves

and we brought the same things with us in our luggage (Tripod and TomTom)...

Can't wait to read the rest!

princessgirls
12-22-2011, 02:22 PM
Linda,

Flying isn't what it used to be...sorry you had troubles getting through security.

Otherwise...smooth sailing to MCO!

Julie:mickey:

vizsla
12-23-2011, 04:40 AM
Thanks for the report.

pdrlkr
12-23-2011, 01:08 PM
Thanks for the Report! :smickey:

MississippiDisneyFreak
12-27-2011, 07:48 PM
Wow, sorry about all the airline problems. Hoping everything else went well:mickey:

WDWCrazyKaren
01-03-2012, 09:42 AM
Isn't it just amazing that airlines can take advantage of people like that and get away with it??

I'm glad you made it on with seats together, and it sounds like a good flight so far!

Can't wait to read more.

MinnieMommie
01-03-2012, 07:30 PM
What a start! All that extra bag checking! Sorry about that. I just flew from Bradley to Orlando. It was my first time on Jet Blue. Jury still out for me. Not crazy about what happened with your seating and what sounds like not the best customer service on their part. Hummm

buzznwoodysmom
01-04-2012, 01:06 PM
Glad to see you guys are off. Honestly, after reading this post I'm thrilled that we don't fly to WDW. I panic just thinking about the stress it would give me. I pack way too much anyway, they'd probably tell me I needed my own plane. LOL.

DizNee143
01-12-2012, 09:27 AM
Ugh glad they were finally able to something for you guys about the plane seats! Sounds like a pretty decent start to the trip..off to read more..:mickey:

Jennib
01-18-2012, 03:58 AM
glad you were able to get the seats. I am very surprised at jetblue because they do not overbook their flights like other airlines do so I am surprised that they would not just give you the seats on the phone. But I am glad you got everything cleared up....off to read more :)