PDA

View Full Version : Pls Upgrade the Polynesian Lobby

MouseHouser
12-17-2011, 12:43 PM
We love the Poly: Monorail, Tiki torches, fabulous beach, ‘Ohana, Kona Café, Tambu Lounge, Aloha Dinner Show, all fabulous!

But shouldn’t the lobby be on-par with WL, G-Flo, AKL? The stacked poinsettias and meager waterfall just aren’t doing it for us.

I think it’s high time for a lobby upgrade: More dramatic waterfall, lush palms, sunlight atrium, and maybe some lava and fire. Scale it up a bit.

Where's the WOW factor!? This place has a high magic quotient. Pls bring more drama to the lobby. Just our opinion.

Agree or disagree?

ibelieveindisneymagic
12-17-2011, 02:02 PM
I have to agree. I know so many people LOVE the Poly, but I was really underwhelmed with the lobby. Seemed like Disney just forgot about it, and has left it far too long without some love.

jillluvsdisney
12-17-2011, 05:09 PM
I'll also add that I think they need more elevators and some bathrooms on the 1rst floor as well.

SBETigg
12-17-2011, 05:56 PM
I can't imagine it any other way. For me, it's perfect as it is.

eam
12-17-2011, 06:34 PM

Ditto.

gardenia
12-17-2011, 06:42 PM
I like it the way it is, and I don't want to see it overdone. It has a very relaxing, natural feel to it. Lava and fire? No thanks!

ThanxForNoticin
12-17-2011, 07:14 PM
I also love the lobby at the Poly. I still go WOW when I get there!

John
12-18-2011, 08:54 AM
I'll also add that I think they need more elevators and some bathrooms on the 1rst floor as well.

There are bathrooms on the first floor opposite captain cooks.

I also like the lobby just as it is. No upgrades needed here. It has a relaxed tropical feel and that's exactly what I'm looking for. I like my elegance understated.

Ian
12-18-2011, 09:03 AM
I also like the lobby just as it is. No upgrades needed here. It has a relaxed tropical feel and that's exactly what I'm looking for. I like my elegance understated.:ditto:

gaffz70
12-18-2011, 03:01 PM
I have to agree. I know so many people LOVE the Poly, but I was really underwhelmed with the lobby. Seemed like Disney just forgot about it, and has left it far too long without some love.

I have to agree....underwhelmed was exactly how I felt. It just didn't live up to the "hype" that I heard from everyone. Maybe I'd feel differently if I had been there before there were so many other great hotels with elaborate lobbies.

MOJoe
12-19-2011, 12:16 PM
I recall a conversation i had with a Poly guest a couple of years ago. We got to talking at the lounge, waiting for our ressies at Ohana.

"I remember being blown away by this place when we started coming here, just a few years after it opened." he told me. "Fabulous. Nothing like it anywhere." "But now? It just feels like any other resort hotel."

So at least in this loyal Disney guest's opinion, the Poly lobby has been upstaged and feels dated.

minnie-mouse
12-19-2011, 12:53 PM
I love it the way it is. I am glad they have kept it this way, it seems more naturally beautiful. It adds to the laid-back feeling. There are bathrooms over by Capt Cooks on the first floor.

Keneva
12-19-2011, 05:56 PM
I think it's just right for the Poly. It's not the GF or the WL or the AK but it's not supposed to be, It's the Poly. The GCH fits in with the entire resort. Now, it is old but so is the entire resort. We are going back again this August and will continue to as long as they continue to maintain it so well.:thumbsup:

mouseketeer mom
12-20-2011, 07:39 AM
After all these years, the Poly on every level, lobby included, continues to "wow" me! I await those automatic doors parting open and walking thru to hear the swish of the waterfall and the smells of the lobby. Instantly, I'm "home". I hope they never change it!

mydisneygirls
12-20-2011, 10:28 AM
I agree with the majority. I think the Poly is great just the way it is. The lobby goes with the theme of the resort, just as the GF and WL does. The Poly is my favorite resort, followed by WL close second!!!!

laprana
12-20-2011, 12:31 PM

:ditto: I'd be so sad if they changed the GCH! As soon as I walk into the lobby at the Poly, I'm instantly transported to my happiest happy place on earth! :cloud9: And, oh, that smell...I wish they would bottle it and sell it as an air freshener! :thumbsup:

wickedgin
12-21-2011, 04:46 PM
I, too, love the Poly pretty much as-is. I love retro/vintage tiki stuff, so the Poly is just my style. I wouldn't like a bright and airy modern Hawaiian look for the Poly--in fact, I'd like it to be more kitschy!
That said, I can see how people would be underwhelmed by it when comparing it against other Deluxes.

Buttercup
12-21-2011, 05:06 PM
I think lava & fire and more pizazz would make it too "Las Vegas-y". I like it just the way it is. :mickey:

Keneva
12-24-2011, 02:47 PM
[QUOTE]maybe some lava and fire.../QUOTE]

There's already tons of hot lava continually pouring out of the volcano into the main pool....and the torch lighting ceremony provides a lively fire twirler show (not to mention all of the tiki torches around the property after dark). If you want more fire, the luau has an awsome fire dancer at the dinner show. You can't judge an entire resort based on its lobby.:judge:

AmandaChan
12-24-2011, 04:29 PM
I've never stayed at poly but we plan on staying there in a few years b/c it is close the parks with the monorail, etc. I have visited the resort and the bar and I loved it but I am also concerned about how the quality of the resort will hold up in a few years time. It's still an amazing resort but it's also old so to say... I just hope that if they do a renovation it will be before we get there. But I do agree with you. And for such a wonderful resort that has a lot of value and potential a widespread upgrade probably wouldn't hurt. ERRR maybe not so much an upgrade as a renovation, I'm saying :) freshen it up a little bit!

Tigerinvestigator
12-24-2011, 06:55 PM

I agree don't mess with it! They already took out the seafoam green/ blue tiles years ago why would you want to......hey on second thought change it back to the green and blue tiles!:thumbsup: It's all about nostalgia for many of us who grew up there.

BrerGnat
12-25-2011, 02:44 PM
Please upgrade the whole resort!

Get real duvets and covers instead of those awful bedspreads.

Add a hot tub, or three.

Add a gym.

Brighten up the vanity with functional lights.

Add another restaurant, that one can actually get a reservation for.

Then, it will be a deluxe resort.

wmdaddy
12-28-2011, 11:44 AM
To redo the lobby of the Polynesian would pretty much entail closing the building down, which isn't realistic. The waterfall is beautiful and relaxing to me. It's not as if Disney "forgot about it". They've just plussed resorts from scratch over the years. Grand Floridan came 17 years after the Poly. Wilderness Lodge came 23 years after.

If you want to talk about an underwhelming lobby, look at the Contemporary. Looks like a large Fairfield Inn.

wmdaddy
12-28-2011, 11:47 AM
Please upgrade the whole resort!

Get real duvets and covers instead of those awful bedspreads.

Add a hot tub, or three.

Add a gym.

Brighten up the vanity with functional lights.

Add another restaurant, that one can actually get a reservation for.

Then, it will be a deluxe resort.

I agree about the hot tubs and gym. I've never had any problems with the lights. And while walking up to Ohana to get a table is frustrating, it's pretty simple to get a reservation for. Just make your ADR's 180 days in advance. If you don't want to, that's not really Disney's fault. I've been to Ohana probably 15 times over the years, and always gotten the time I wanted.

eire
12-31-2011, 02:53 PM
The scent of the Polynesian brings back the very best moments of my childhood. I am near tears every time I walk in that lobby and my children feel the same way. I don't think it needs to be changed in any way!

Katzateer
01-01-2012, 06:52 AM

:thumbsup: