PDA

View Full Version : First Dec trip.........

olivegirl
12-14-2011, 04:43 PM
We are planning a trip Dec 5 -9 2012 for our DD 14th bday. The last 5 years we have ventured to Disney in August. My hubby wants to be able to experience Disney during Christmas. Just would love to know some input on the crowds, weather etc......!!! We will be staying at POR which will also be a first for us! :mickey:

Fangorn
12-14-2011, 05:03 PM
The first week of December is a great time to go. Crowds will be light, and the weather should be mild, although rain is a distinct possibility. We were there during that time a couple years ago and it was wonderful. One night we spent the last hour of EMH @ MK (10-11) virtually by ourselves sitting in front of the castle just watching the lights and listening to the music. The only down side is that the parks close early, so if you're used to staying out late in August, there will be some getting used to a different schedule. But you do get all the festive decorations.

As for POR, you'll enjoy it as well. Landscaping is lovely and there's a lot to do. Its very peaceful.

Steve

sorcerer fan
12-14-2011, 05:23 PM
at POR you might run into pop warner cheer leaders during your stay. wont be bad at the parks but you might have problems with them at the resort. there are lots to see at christmas time, osborne lights , MVMCP, all the resort decorations, the castle at MK changing colors. we love going at this time.

jkj1224
12-15-2011, 10:38 PM
The first week or two of December is an amazing time to be at Disney, it has all the benefits of the holiday season without the holiday crowds. Weather can definately vary, this year has been warm and in the 80s during the day, but last year was very cold so be prepared for just about anything.

As previously mentioned the parks do close early and be aware that on nights of MVMCP it MK closes at 7pm.

iheartdisney
12-16-2011, 09:06 AM
This is my favorite time of year to visit WDW. (And the fact that my birthday falls at this time is also a plus.)

Don't miss Osborne Family Spectacle of Lights at DHS. We had skipped this in the past as DHS isn't one of our favorite night-time parks. And, I thought that once you've seen Christmas lights you've seen them all. Not true! Osborne Lights is truly a spectacle not to be missed!

mom2morgan
12-16-2011, 08:47 PM
LOL - we've ONLY been during December and stayed at POR ;-) We're doing September next year and I'm worried it won't feel "right" without all the Christmas decorations! If you have time, go to the deluxes to see their Christmas displays. Because the hours are short, we usually go first thing in the morning and go 'till dinner time, then come back and swim after (instead of taking a midday break). Weather can really vary - sunburn one time, overcast, rainy and chilly another. Still thought the tourists in gloves and scarfs were a little overboard. It was really funny when a couple dressed like that walked by while we were in the pool. I think we ALL just stopped and stared at each other. LOL

Janmac
12-17-2011, 03:40 PM
December was the time we usually visited WDW also. DHS and MK would close very early some days (I seem to remember 6 pm occasionally), which is why we started the Epcot every evening touring plan, as a way to extend the day.

As has been mentioned, the weather can vary. Our first winter on-property stay, we took shorts and t-shirts and really enjoyed the first day but successive days got chillier, and our one set of long pants and sweatshirt weren't enough. Next trip we took more long pants and fewer shorts, and you guessed it, had more warmer days. Didn't have enough shorts.

Our last December trip was downright cold - overnight temps were in the low 40s. Typhoon Lagoon didn't open the day we thought we might go there because the expected high was too cold. We had a supper ADR at the old Concourse Steakhouse and never took off our coats. The boat ride to Fort Wilderness would have been awful except that we had hats and scarves and gloves. We saw some guests with many layers of clothing, and sweatshirts on their heads. We had a good time people watching that trip.

Pack for any kind of weather and be flexible with your activities.

Jan

brivers222
12-22-2011, 10:08 AM
Hope you had a great time.... I know we did!