PDA

View Full Version : We missed the Swan/Dolphin this trip.

Mogie
12-14-2011, 10:38 AM
We missed the Swan/Dolphin this trip.

For the first time, we decided to stay at a Disney Resort instead of our tried and true Swan/Dolphin. We skipped the awesome AAA rates, and payed more for the experience of the Sunset Savannah at AKL and Garden View at Beach Club. Sunset Savannah was a disappointment with no animals on view. But the Garden view at the Beach Club was a nice surprise. It was a nice hotel and we had a nice view of the one of the gardens, the promenade and the water.

What we missed about the Swan/Dolphin was some peace and quiet and a break from the hustle and bustle of excited kids, and crowded lobby and wait times at breakfast. The Swan/Dolphin is a lot more peaceful, and has an older crowd. We feel there are more choices for adult entertainment. More restaurants with diverse cuisines, more true bar/lounges unlike the very bland Martha's Vinyard almost temporary looking "wine bar".

Overall we are glad we tried the AKL and BC, but next trip we are definitely going back to Swan/Dolphin for a cheaper price, more entertainment options and better quality.

SBETigg
12-14-2011, 10:58 AM
One of my biggest disappointments when I stayed at the Beach Club was Martha's Vineyard. It felt like a seedy back room kind of bar in a neglected old hotel, not what you expect from a Disney Deluxe. And the wine selection was pitiful, just the few standards off the generic Disney bar menu. I expected so much more from a "wine bar."

Actually, I enjoyed my stay at the Dolphin more than I enjoyed the Beach Club, too. It is whimsical and bright, very welcoming, with plenty of Disney touches to keep me happy, but good restaurant and bar areas. The bus service was better there than it was for us at the Beach Club, too. And for the price and location, the Swan/Dolphin are a win.

My husband does not believe me. He won't stay with me at the Dolphin (I was there for a conference) because it's "not Disney." But he was willing to pay the Beach Club prices to try that area, and we were let down. Not unhappy. It's still a lovely resort and perfect for some people. The Beach Club just didn't have the right vibe for us. So it's back to the GF and Poly for us.

Yo Mickey!
12-14-2011, 12:35 PM
quick unrelated question, but why do they call it the dolphin when they have a fish on top of the place? we always stay in bwv or bcv so we always joke that it's the swan and fish hotels.

just wondered if there was a story there or not.

PlutoPlanet
12-14-2011, 12:40 PM
I thought the fish on top of the Dolphin was from the art work for the movie "The Incredible Mr. Limpid". The movie was a mix of live action and animation. Don Knotts voiced the fish character Mr. Limpid.

WRWDisney
12-14-2011, 01:01 PM
Not sure, but there is the dolphin fish (http://www.safmc.net/FishIDandRegs/FishGallery/DolphinFish/tabid/284/Default.aspx) (quite ugly face) and the dolphin mammal (the majestic creature most people think of when they think of a dolphin).

Maybe that's it:thumbsup:

sassafras
12-14-2011, 03:44 PM
One of the bus drivers we had once told us they should actually be called the Swan and the Carp!

SBETigg
12-14-2011, 04:00 PM
It's a stylized version of a dolphin, as seen in old art representations. When you look at historical art of sailors and dolphins, you will see the dolphin depicted as a big fish, especially on ancient maps. It might have been artistic license or simply before science taught that dolphins are cetaceans (marine mammals).

I believe there are some similar dolphins in the Yacht Club lobby-- I think on the big globe. Pretty sure it has nothing to do with the Don Knotts movie, The Incredible Mr. Limpet. The architect of the Swan/Dolphin, Michael Graves, chose to go with the depiction perhaps for artistic reasons, in keeping with the whimsical theme. Just a guess. And sorry, I am not as pretentious as this answer makes me sound. :blush: I studied art history and I've read about the Dolphin's architecture.

Tigerinvestigator
12-14-2011, 05:11 PM
Back to the Dolphin for us in two weeks. The Poly is my favorite resort but we cannot beat the rates at the Dolphin. Why would we pay $400 a night or more at the Poly when we can get the Dolphin for $159 a night. It has everything we want. The best beds at WDW, the best views at WDW, and the location is excellent! Less than two weeks I will be there!:thumbsup:

MOJoe
12-15-2011, 10:34 AM
Stayed at the BC, Swan and Dolphin. Love this area of WDW.
For the same money, i would choose the BC. The pool, grounds and proximity to Epcot make it the winner for me. But the lack of a real bar is a big issue. I found myself constantly running over to Epcot to the R&C, or to the ESPN Club for drinks.
But if i must pay over $100 more a night, or without a big discount, then the Swan and Dolphin is the easy choice. For certain this resort is more adult oriented, and with enough amenities for all that children will not feel misplaced. Still, when i am standing at the boat dock, looking acroos the water toward the BC, i think, "Sure is nice to stay over there."

Simbajr4ever
12-18-2011, 04:36 PM
Does anyone know if the s/d has pay movies or cable stations on tv? WDW tv is the worse, especially if your in your room for any extended time.

thanks! :mickey:

Yo Mickey!
12-18-2011, 06:39 PM
But the lack of a real bar is a big issue. I found myself constantly running over to Epcot to the R&C, or to the ESPN Club for drinks.

the belle vue (sp?) lounge over at bw is a nice place too.

Simbajr4ever
12-20-2011, 09:32 PM
Does anyone know if the s/d has pay movies or cable stations on tv? WDW tv is the worse, especially if your in your room for any extended time.

thanks! :mickey:

?

Jeff
12-21-2011, 04:18 PM
My family loves the Swan. :thumbsup:
We have stayed in most of the resorts, Swan and Poly are our top two!

Patricia
12-21-2011, 08:19 PM
quick unrelated question, but why do they call it the dolphin when they have a fish on top of the place? we always stay in bwv or bcv so we always joke that it's the swan and fish hotels.

just wondered if there was a story there or not.

I see the question was sort of answered, but I posted the entire story (yes, there is one) of the design here (http://www.intercot.com/discussion/showthread.php?p=2163869&highlight=ancient#post2163869).

kcrc
12-26-2011, 08:16 PM
We just stayed at the Swan for 2 nights. (We are normally Poly people). We did enjoy the area, with the boat rides to the parks, and the boardwalk right there. The atmosphere was very nice.

But we definitely had some cleanliness issues with the room, that will prevent us from staying there again.

When we first checked in, my son's normal first thing he does is turn on the tv to put on the Disney channel that shows all of the attractions. Well, tv didn't work - ok, no big deal. However, what was not cool - there were nail clippings on the floor right in the middle of the room :ack:

And, the "complimentary" water bottles... though they were neatly arranged on the counter...one of them had been opened and was half empty. So, my husband stuck his head out the door because he had heard housekeeping nearby, and mentioned it to the employee. She very nicely handed him two more waters to replace them - however, one of those was also opened and half empty.

And on our second day there, housekeeping never even came to our room.

So, perhaps it was just an off few days??? But, it did not thrill us enough to want to stay there again... :(

GBBT
01-03-2012, 08:31 PM
When we go back we are trying the Swan/Dolphin.My wife can get the Teachers/Support staff discount...$129 night.Which is better,Swan side or Dolphin side?

Jillirose
01-07-2012, 08:01 PM
When we go back we are trying the Swan/Dolphin.My wife can get the Teachers/Support staff discount...$129 night.Which is better,Swan side or Dolphin side?

I think the teacher discounts are only available at the Dolphin, and make your ressie ASAP, they told me once that it's not a discount you can always get - it's dependent on availability. Loved the Dolphin, will be back in FEB!

MouseHouser
01-16-2012, 03:03 PM
No animals on view at the AKL?.... Having stayed there, find it hard to believe, which is not to say I do not believe it. Maybe this guest was only at the hotel for a short stay and his timing was unfortunate.

Anyone else stay at the AKL and not see animals?

PAYROLL PRINCESS
01-21-2012, 10:07 PM
A friend of mine works for the Swan and she said that the Dolphin is based on the dolphin fish, not the mammal.

I love staying at these hotels because they have the most comfortable beds I've ever slept in anywhere. And I used to work for a hotel chain!!

You can't beat the location. I especially love being able to walk back to the hotel after Epcot closes without having to wait for a bus etc. Much quicker than waiting for the boats even.

badkitty
01-22-2012, 02:20 AM
Does the Swan/Dolphin offer transportation to/from MCO airport? Have do you S/D regulars get there?

Kathy Jetson
01-23-2012, 11:10 PM
Do you get to go to emh days if you stay there?