PDA

View Full Version : Sounds Dangerous finally going away?

Fangorn
12-12-2011, 04:28 PM
My sources tell me that something is actually starting to happen at DHS with the space formerly known as Sounds Dangerous.

Guests looking for a laugh will get their wish Dec. 25 – 31 with The Comedy Warehouse Holiday Special at Disney’s Hollywood Studios. The 22-minute show will be performed in the ABC Sound Studio, which is located between The American Idol Experience and Star Tours: The Adventures Continue. The improv performers will take holiday classics (songs, poems, stories and movie scenarios) and, with suggestions from the audience, reinvent them for a family-friendly show.

The performers include alumni from the Comedy Warehouse at Pleasure Island.

DHS cast is being told NOT to refer to the location as "Sounds Dangerous", but instead use the title "ABC Sound Studio". They are also being told that the guide maps will continue to show "Sounds Dangerous" as temporarily closed, but "Sounds Dangerous" will officially be removed when the new maps are re-done for Star Wars Weekend.

So it appears that Disney is finally going to do away with SD and do something else with the space. IMHO, Even a show that only lasts a week is movement in the right direction.

Steve

disneymom15
12-12-2011, 05:52 PM
Anythings got to be better that what's there now! Never liked "Sounds Dangerous".

Strmchsr
12-13-2011, 07:23 AM
Sounds Dangerous is gone. It's being used for the Jedi sign-up and a couple of my DHS CM friends have said it's definitely gone. The Comedy Warehouse is a trial run. No decision has been made on it. The brass want to see how guests react to it. If it's a success then it may become permanent, but that's far from settled.

DizneyFreak2002
12-13-2011, 11:26 AM
Thank the good heavens... Waste of space...

seanyred
12-13-2011, 02:11 PM
Good news...Now I'd like to see a Phineas & Pherb show or attraction.

Stu29573
12-13-2011, 03:56 PM
You know, last November (2010) when we were at DHS I was shocked to actually see Sounds Dangerous open. We went in, just to see if it was as bad as I remembered it. It was. Actually, it was probably worse. The place was dirty and falling apart and a lot of the headsets didn't work (a fact that I gleaned from the very loud protests behind me). All in all after I was done I wanted them to bulldoze the place and salt the earth where it stood. It seems like they might have come up with a slightly better solution....

Imagineer1981
12-13-2011, 04:24 PM
Bring back the Monster Sound Show with Chevy Chase and Martin Short...awesome!

Stu29573
12-13-2011, 04:57 PM
Bring back the Monster Sound Show with Chevy Chase and Martin Short...awesome!

I completely agree!

DizneyFreak2002
12-13-2011, 09:20 PM
Expand the Star Wars footprint...

Hair_Razor
12-13-2011, 11:34 PM

I completely agree! :D

Butters
12-14-2011, 08:17 AM
A park bench would be an improvement

waymickey
12-14-2011, 09:33 AM
Park bench, water fountian, something besides empty space. I find it hard to fill a day at DHS. Unless of course I am standing in a long line for TSM or TOT. I find DHS very boring now. :( Not enough to see or do. It used to be AK but DHS is now my last park to visit and after TOT and TSM Im out.

darthmacho
12-14-2011, 02:25 PM

That would be great, but I'm not optimistic.

JPL
12-14-2011, 07:34 PM
Glad to see they are doing something with the space and moving forward. I was never a fan of Sounds Dangerous but loved the old Monster Sound Show. IMHO the Studios is a park that totally lost it's identity when the stopped doing production work there and has become a shell of it's former self. Don't get me wrong it still has some great attractions but really needs work.

BrowncatP
12-14-2011, 07:42 PM
Am I the only one that liked Sounds Dangerous??

A Big Kid
12-14-2011, 07:47 PM

Not yes, but you-know-what yes.

JPL
12-14-2011, 08:08 PM

I'm pretty sure Drew Carey liked it too and maybe his mother ;)

The main problem I had with the show was the only thing it really focused on was binaural audio. Most of the show was in the dark and you could experience a better use of the technology in the Soundstations in the post show area and that was there since 1989 when the park opened! The show was outdated before it opened. It was basically just a cheaper substitute for the Monster Sound Show since they didn't need to staff or maintain the Foley stage which was removed.

DizneyFreak2002
12-14-2011, 08:13 PM
That would be great, but I'm not optimistic.

Me either... but who knows??? This is TDO after all, they will probably just make it either a pin station or a DVC sales booth...

DisneyorBust
12-15-2011, 12:21 PM
I certainly hope that the rumours are true. Went to Sounds Dangerous once, and never returned. Hopefully, WDW mgt. can find something entertaining to replace it. Like others have posted, there just isn't enough to do in DHS to fill a day.
I really want to see some more investment into this park, I love the 'old' Hollywood feel of it and hope that improvements are being planned.

DVC2004
12-15-2011, 04:32 PM
This thread is making me laugh- lots of strong feelings on this show. We never saw it because I heard it was so bad. Could someone describe it for those of us who never had the "pleasure" ;) of attending?

DizneyFreak2002
12-15-2011, 07:22 PM
I certainly hope that the rumours are true. Went to Sounds Dangerous once, and never returned. Hopefully, WDW mgt. can find something entertaining to replace it. Like others have posted, there just isn't enough to do in DHS to fill a day.
I really want to see some more investment into this park, I love the 'old' Hollywood feel of it and hope that improvements are being planned.

The rumors aren't really rumors anymore... They are true... Sounds Dangerous is finally going the way of the dodo... BYE BYE!!! :D

FiggyFan
12-15-2011, 10:07 PM
This thread is making me laugh- lots of strong feelings on this show. We never saw it because I heard it was so bad. Could someone describe it for those of us who never had the "pleasure" of attending?

In Sounds Dangerous, Drew Carey played a bumbling investigator on a fictional TV show. He had a hidden camera that he damaged early in the show, so most of the action took place in complete darkness. Each seat had a headset through which you listened to the show. Lots of predictable audio gags as Drew traveled around town investigating a crime. The two "scenes" I remember most clearly took place in a barber shop and at a circus.

It wasn't a "must see", but I thought it was worth the time.

busterthebronco
12-16-2011, 08:21 AM
those little sound booths on the way out were AWESOME places to take a nap!
:secret:

Christine
12-30-2011, 07:03 PM
I saw the comedy warehouse holiday special today - LOVED it! Hilarious!!!
"Suit Cm's" we're "polling" everyone as they left if they liked it- all shows were full (we had to wait an hour bc we didn't make it into the 3:45 show. I'd really like it to stay around. What a fun time!

Mrs Bus Driver
01-02-2012, 02:08 PM
a comedy show there would be great. :mickey:

Katzateer
01-08-2012, 01:56 PM
Studios is a park that totally lost it's identity when they stopped doing production work.

I agree. I miss the animators too. Used to be a lot of fun to tour filming studios and we were in the audience for a few shows.

LudwigVonDrake
01-08-2012, 05:31 PM
I only experienced Sounds Dangerous once. It was okay but nothing great. Interesting to see what ends up in that space.

Ian
01-08-2012, 08:44 PM
those little sound booths on the way out were AWESOME places to take a nap!
:secret:I agree, I loved those! The part where you got the haircut always made me nod off. ;)

Buttercup
01-08-2012, 09:27 PM
I miss the old Martin Short/Chevy Chase one. And it made sense in Hollywood Studios because they showed you about how Foley Artists actually make sound effects for movies. It was funny + educational!

You know what else I miss in that area though? That thing (can't think of the name) where they split screened people from the audience with tv shows like Cheers and Home Improvement. I was like 10 or 11 when I was chosen to be "The Movie Star" from Gilligan's Island! :D They should bring something like that back!

Ian
01-09-2012, 09:41 AM
You know what else I miss in that area though? That thing (can't think of the name) where they split screened people from the audience with tv shows like Cheers and Home Improvement. I was like 10 or 11 when I was chosen to be "The Movie Star" from Gilligan's Island! :D They should bring something like that back!Superstar Television ... it used to be where the American Idol Experience is now and I agree. That was a ton of fun and really, really cool! I don't know why they did away with it, except that maybe some of the shows were kinda dated.

But so what? It couldn't have cost more than a few bucks to swap out the shows right? Sometimes Disney's decisions really just confused the heck out of me. :confused:

Buttercup
01-09-2012, 12:13 PM
Yes! That's the name of it Ian... Superstar Television! And I agree: how hard would it be to turn it into something new? Think of all the fun they could have had with Seinfeld or Friends over the years! Oh! Imagine being put into an episode of Lost! To be honest though, what is a good television show nowadays that you could use in that situation?

Strmchsr
01-09-2012, 12:41 PM
:ditto: That was a lot of fun. On our honeymoon DW was in the I Love Lucy episode and I got the pie in the face with the 3 Stooges. That and the foley show were both great. I agree with Ian. Sometimes Disney drops things for no good reason.

Goofster
01-10-2012, 01:22 PM
Sounds Dangerous was funny back in 1998 when I first saw it. But when I last saw it in 2011, it was really, really showing it's age. The headphones were falling apart, etc. I really enjoyed the Studios when it felt like a working Studio. It doesn't have that feeling anymore and I don't think it will ever be like that again.

RAIDER
01-11-2012, 03:18 AM
At last ts going !!!!! :beer::beer: .This has to be the laziest show/attaction Disney have ever put on show to the public !!!