PDA

View Full Version : Rent a car if budget allows?

minnie-mouse
12-12-2011, 12:34 PM
Would you rent a car if your budget allowed or would you still take the buses to the parks? (assuming that you weren't staying in a deluxe on the monorail but rather at a moderate)

SBETigg
12-12-2011, 02:00 PM
Part of the magic of Disney for us is leaving the real world behind. Having to drive around brings reality back in too much. We love using Disney transportation and not having to rent a car. But we always stay deluxe. If I was in a moderate, I might want a car, not sure. I think I would still choose a mod with good transportation options and avoid the car.

Fangorn
12-12-2011, 02:01 PM
Personally, we rent a car whenever possible. I don't have a problem with the buses, but I find it a lot quicker and easier to get where I want to go when I want to go, if I have my own car. I find it very easy to get around the Disney property. I know a lot of folks don't like the whole parking lot thing, especially at MK, but for us, that's just a part of the whole experience, and actually adds to the sense of anticipation as we go through the gate, park, get on the tram, cruise to the TTC, get off the tram, decide on Monorail or Ferry, and then watch as the Castle gets closer and closer. It's just very enjoyable.

Having a car also allows us to go off property for other (less expensive) dining options, the obligatory run to Walgreens for something, and visiting friends that live in the area (although they usually meet us on property.)

Having said that, we are going in 42 days and will not be getting a car this time. Due to our plans and schedule this trip, the cost/benefit just isn't there.

Steve

MarkC
12-12-2011, 05:01 PM
In our 20 trips we've rented a car every single trip. If we're going to a park we'll normally take a bus, but if we're headed to downtown Disney or a water park, we'll take the car. We often will go off-site for a cheap meal or two if we know we're spending a lot later. Anytime you have a car, you are in control. If you can afford it, rent it.

PETE FROM NYC
12-12-2011, 07:06 PM
Over a dozen trips, none without a car. Last 2 trips, we used WDW transportation, becaause DW and I are now both ECV users. First was to Pop, next to BLT. Buses and monorails worked fine for us. Plus we still had the car to go off property.

MississippiDisneyFreak
12-13-2011, 07:47 AM
We drive to Disney (10-11 hour drive). So we enjoy letting someone else do the driving during our stay:bus:

Scar
12-13-2011, 09:16 AM
I don't think I will ever stay at a value or moderate again without a car.

CanadianWDWFan
12-13-2011, 09:47 AM
We rent a car whenever we fly, except once we tried ME. It sure was nice having our luggage delivered to our rooms but we felt like we were being held hostage and since we couldn't get anywhere without using Disney transportation. We like being able to hop in the car and being able to go anywhere, whenever we want.

We drive to every place on property EXCEPT MK! The hassle of getting from the parking lot to the main gates is enough to drive me crazy.

I guess the bottom line is that I like being in control, just like MarkC said.

NJGIRL
12-13-2011, 10:00 AM
We rent a car every trip. Did the bus thing one time and it wasn't for us. Having a car gets you places alot quicker and easier. Driving around the Disney property is so easy. Waiting for a bus and then being packed in and not going directly to your end destination is not for us.

DizneyRox
12-13-2011, 10:34 AM
We stopped renting a car over 10 years ago, and I don't miss it. Too many people who don't know where they are going, etc, I found it aggrivating and it got very expensive.

Now, even though we can afford it, I like to keep the money in my pocket. I don't necessarily think that having one gets you any place any quicker. Might seem quicker, and I'm one that like to be moving instead of waiting, but I wouldn't guarantee that you'll save time with your own car.

If for some dog forsaken reason we did end up driving to WDW, I wouldn't take my car into the parks either. It would stay at the resort.

Jennifer_and_Chris
12-13-2011, 12:21 PM
We have driven down the last 3 trips so, we are spoiled with having our own car.

We have done trips where we rented from the Alamo on property for a few days. To get groceries, go to the character outlet stores, church, etc.

We liked to take ME from the airport. And then have Alamo pick us up at our leisure from our resort's main house and bring us to rent the car. We didn't need the car every day. Just the first few days.

Now, we usually drive to every park EXCEPT MK like the previous poster. But, if we plan out a dinner on a monorail resort, we do drive to the resort, have dinner and monorail it over to MK for fireworks or a few rides.

If this is your first time renting, and it is within your budget (with nothing else more important on your list of things to spend $$ on) then, try it out.

minnie-mouse
12-14-2011, 07:15 PM
We usually always rent a car but always stay at a monorail resort. This next trip will be at a moderate, so I was not sure whether we should rely on the bus system or just drive to the parks.

WDWCrazyKaren
12-16-2011, 08:54 AM
We've done it both ways. We've actually stopped renting a car these past few years, because we travel in off-season. The buses aren't as slow or as crowded at that time. We do utilize a taxi at two times during each trip-one to get to our 7AM ressie at Chef Mickey's, and one more leaving Epcot after Illuminations (we walk to the Boardwalk and take a cab from there). Otherwise, the buses work perfectly for us.

EeyoresBestFriend
12-16-2011, 12:33 PM
Part of the magic of Disney for us is leaving the real world behind. Having to drive around brings reality back in too much. We love using Disney transportation and not having to rent a car. But we always stay deluxe. If I was in a moderate, I might want a car, not sure. I think I would still choose a mod with good transportation options and avoid the car.

Totally agree!

We stay at mods and have NO problem with the transport system. We usually rent a car to go to Universal for a couple of days, but that is it. If I ever chose not to go to Universal I wouldn't get a car.

We also get our car rentals through air miles and don't pay for them anyway. Except, of course, taxes. Disney isn't the only one after your money! :D

KylesMom
12-16-2011, 10:21 PM
Other side of the coin - we will never go to Disney without a rental car. It truly is a personal preference, and how comfortable you are driving in an area that you may not be familiar with - with a bunch of other drivers that are experiencing the same thing as you. However, we schedule too many adrs at other parks & resorts, and it just makes more sense to allow 15-20 minutes (or 5!) to get to a resort instead of an hour. Do what you're comfortable with. :mickey:

ThanxForNoticin
12-17-2011, 07:36 PM
The question you need to ask is how do you like to do your trip! As you can see, there are many differing opinions. Personally, we like the flexibility of having a car, mostly because we do most of our dinners at the various resorts or DTD. We will also make a trip outside of WDW now and then (perhaps Universal or Sea World). If you spend more time in the Dinsey parks, the car is probably less important.

faline
12-17-2011, 07:46 PM
It really is a personal choice.

We typically do not rent a car though we did for this trip as the cost was pretty much equivalent to what we would have paid for town car transportation. We did travel with another family and they also rented a car. A few times we did ride along in their car to various destinations. Typically, though, we rely on Disney transportation. In fact, our rental sat all week unused. When we put gas in it prior to returning the car to the rental agency, we needed to add less than 2 gallons!!!

minnie-mouse
12-19-2011, 01:00 PM
We will definitely be renting a car no matter what, as we like to stop at grocery store and go to Sea World. But we usually drive from our resort to the parks. This trip we were wondering if the bus service is more convenient or not when we travel to/from the parks?

LVT
12-19-2011, 06:31 PM
We drive and in 14 days tend to use it 4 or 5 times. Water parks, other big parks, beach, Target, etc. Never to the parks.

brivers222
12-20-2011, 06:38 PM
we just got back (Trip reports for our 11 day trip will be posted shortly) and let me say... having a rental car on property was a LIFE/TIME saver

we opted to try the buses to go from Animal Kingdom Lodge to Animal kingdom.... 45 mins (and 3 MK busses) later we were beginning to doubt such a decision.

If you have mucho time to spend on buses and boats then by all means surrender to the disney transportation. But if you have places to be and want more time in that parks as opposed to getting to the parks then i would suggest you budget for a car.

I was actually open to taken disney transportation but renting a car for the 11 days for $140 via Alamo was the best decision I made :)

The car also came in handy as we didn't pack any "Toiletries" on the plane... we just stopped at Walmart on the way to disney and bought all the stuff we would need. Saved a lot of weight on the checked bags.