PDA

View Full Version : Early Planning Phase - lots of opinions needed!

Mary Chase
12-11-2011, 01:32 PM
Well, I think we're going to do it - head to CA instead of FL for our Disney fix! It'll be a first for us. We've always gone to FL mainly because of the cost and how long it takes to get to CA. However, really want to try something a little different, but not completely different (non Disney).

1. Flying - we live in Ohio and our airports are Cleveland, Akron, Columbus and Pittsburgh. So far I've seen the cheapest airfare out of Columbus to LAX on Delta - seems like we could get airfare for 4 for about $1,000. Does that seem like a pretty good deal - has anyone gotten better than that?

2. Resort - When we go to FL, we usually stay at the moderate level Disney resort. Seems like the Disneyland Hotel and Grand Californian are more in line with the deluxe level in FL and the Paradise Pier seems more moderate level. But I had heard some not so good reviews on Paradise Pier. What about any of the Good Neighbor hotels? What is closest of the Good Neighbor hotels?

3. Dining - we'd probably do mostly "counter service" in the parks. Any good recommendations? Anyone know where I might find menus for them (I know DLR info is scarce on the internet - at least from what I've found!).

4. Transportation to/from airport - from my understanding a FREE option is not available like it is in FL with DME. We'd most likely fly into LAX as it seems like the cheapest I can find. Are there shuttle options from LAX? Would renting a car be a better option?

Thanks in advance for any info - it will probably be the only time we get out to CA because it is more expensive for us.

Disney4us2
12-11-2011, 02:07 PM
For flying, I would just go with the least expensive option. Wether it be LAX or SNA.

Hotels: Paradise Pier is a nice clean hotel. I usually stay at the Park Vue Inn. It is not a good neighbor hotel, but it is directly across the street from the DLR.

As for dning you don't need to plan like you do at WDW. Reservations for the Blue Bayou are highly recommended as well as the character meals. Counter service has a lot of options. Our favorites are The Plaza Inn at DL. The fried chicken is really good. The French Market is also very good. We always end up at the Grand Californian at Whitewater Snacks for lunch. They have the best nacho's.
I will PM you a link for Disneyland Menu's

Transportation to/from the airports is usually by Disneyland Resort Express, Supershuttle or Prime time shuttle. If you plan on doing more than Disney a car rental may be a good option.

Good luck and have fun with the planning.