PDA

View Full Version : port orleans............

olivegirl
12-11-2011, 09:04 AM
We are thinking about staying at Port Orleans Riverside next year. Just need some input please! :mickey:

bcornette
12-11-2011, 10:14 AM
My family loves POR, we just checked out of one of the newly refurbished rooms 2 hours ago, I'm sitting at MCO now waiting to fly back to Ohio.

I think the different categories of room type is a little overrated, except the preferred rooms if you will use the dining or refillable mugs at the resort.

My kids (3,7,10) all love the quiet and main pools as well as the playground and scenery you have while walking to the busses or lobby.

The new room layout is great for families of 5, this trip was a 1 day reservation in a riverview non-refurbished room and 8 days in a standard refurbished room. I paid for 9 days of riverview but volunarily gave it up (with no refund) to get the refurbished room and it was the best decision i made the whole trip.

The new fold down bed is way better than the under the bed trundle (no more broken toes from kicking the steel frame).

The food court is great and you can use the pool and food court at POFQ if you want. We also like the boat to downtown disney and POFQ. On nights where the POR busses are full, you can usually hop on a POFQ bus (which is typically much less crowded) and then walk or take the boat to POR.

darthmacho
12-11-2011, 10:31 AM
Stayed at POR in 2010 and loved it.

We had a "Manor" room in Magnolia Terrace, but I thought the theming of Alligator Bayou (it reminded me of WL) was nice. If you have a preference, you might consider putting in a request.

Boatwright's was a pleasant surprise. The food was good, though the acoustics of the dining room were such that it was difficult to hear each other talk.

Riverside Mill was a great food court, though it could get crowded and chaotic during peak times.

The horse carriage ride was worth the money, the surrey bike "experience" was certainly not!

Spend some time at the resort, and don't hesitate to walk or take the boat over to POFQ to explore there too.

Enjoy.

andreallybadeggs
12-11-2011, 09:59 PM
We like this resort a lot. The boat ride to French Quarter/Downtown Disney is a nice bonus. Kids love the pool area and liked the "pool hopping" option with POFQ.

Tygger7
12-11-2011, 11:54 PM
We're ar POR right now. I must sat, I've been pleasantly surprised so far. Very quiet & relaxing, transsportation has been awesome.

magicofdisney
12-12-2011, 09:34 AM
We enjoy staying at POR. Because there are five that travel, we must stay in Alligator Bayou. There are NO elevators in the AB buildings. If you stay in this section and are assigned a room on the second floor, I highly recommend taking advantage of the bellhop services. :mickey:

tazlikesrobots
12-12-2011, 09:48 AM
POR is our favorite resort! The landscaping is wonderful, the food court had a good variety, and the cruise to DTD is a great bonus :)

sommer
12-12-2011, 03:33 PM
We loved POR. I am so excited to go back. The food court was wonderful, walking down the pathways was relaxing (no we didn't get lost), the pool was fun, the buses were prompt. I could go on and on!

The new fold down bed is way better than the under the bed trundle (no more broken toes from kicking the steel frame).

Is the bed the same size? I am nervous about when we go - I am hoping it's large enough for my tall 10 year old.

We LOVE Disney
12-13-2011, 11:53 AM

Is the bed bigger then the pull out was? We are staying there next June with an 18, 16 & 12 year old. Did you have any problems with anyone falling off the pull down bed?

How was the storage? I am VERY concerned about what looks to be a major lack of storage! When they had that TV/dresser combination we used ALL of those drawers and the shelf space on both sides of the TV. We will be there for 2 weeks and I will go crazy if I have to live out of the suitcases!!

Gator
12-13-2011, 02:31 PM
Here's the flip side. We didn't like it. We got stuck in the Alligator Bayou. It's rustic feel was not what we wanted. I'm sure the Manor rooms are much better, but the AB stunk. I won't book there again for fear I'd get a room in that section.

ryca1dreams
12-13-2011, 05:54 PM
1) What are the "preferred" buildings at POR?

2) Are the manor houses mor noisy that the bayou buldings or are they about the same?

KatrinaJ91
12-16-2011, 10:40 AM
We absolutely LOVE POR! It is our first choice of resort.
We always stay in Alligator Bayou and love it. The atmosphere is very rustic and beautful. Ask for Bldgs. 14, 15 or 18. They are very close to the main building, pool and bus stops!
The boat to downtown is a great plus. You will love it!!
Make sure you catch Bob at the Roost lounge...he is amazing!!

MstngDrvnDsnyLvr
12-16-2011, 11:30 AM
The fold down bed is bigger than the old trundle and even a small adult could use the fold down bed where the old trundles were only good for a child about 9/10 years old.

(This information came from a friend that just stayed there and her 14 yr old 5'6" son slept on the pull down. She said that he wasn't that bad and was much better than the old trundle that he had to fold himself on.)