PDA

View Full Version : Hogwarts is coming to Hollywood - Orlando Expansion Planned

DizneyFreak2002
12-06-2011, 03:22 PM
But where the expansion will be is still anyone's guess, but, I think simple deduction would say Jaws....

MODS: If you feel this should be combined with the Jaws closing thread, then feel free to combine... I made it a separate thread because this really has more to do with the Potter expansion being made official, not so much as location and Jaws closing...

From Orlando Sentinel:

The Wizarding Word of Harry Potter will be expanding at Universal Orlando, the company revealed during a Tuesday announcement about bringing J.K. Rowling's boy wizard to the Universal Studios theme park in California.

Details about the Florida expansion — such as the nature of new attractions, a time frame or even in which of the two Universal Orlando theme parks it would be located — were not shared. The original Wizarding World of Harry Potter opened at Universal's Islands of Adventure in June 2010.
"Specific details of its expansion will be announced over time," Universal said in a news release.

Universal Orlando announced last week that it would close the Jaws ride at Universal Studios theme park as of Jan. 2. Since then, the rumor mill has ramped up talk of what could be planned for that space, including an additional Harry Potter-themed attraction. That would put Potter areas in both Universal parks.

Tuesday's announcement concentrated on Universal Studios Hollywood. On hand for the proceedings were California Gov. Jerry Brown plus actors James and Oliver Phelps, who played the Weasley twins in the film series, in front of a marquee that said "Hogwarts is coming to Hollywood." Butterbeer was served.

"It's a great day when we see investment in California, investment in imagination," Brown said.

Details about the Hollywood Potter plan were thin as well, although a news release said it "will be as impressive as what has been created in Orlando." It mentioned a "majestic" Hogwarts castle, but did not specify if it also would contain the popular Orlando ride called Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey or if Hollywood would have a replica of Hogsmeade village, other rides or restaurants.

Orlando's Wizarding World coasters were repurposed from Islands of Adventure's Lost Continent area.

Most industry analysts considered a Harry Potter expansion in Orlando inevitable given the phenomenal financial success of Wizarding World. Universal's attendance jumped 20 percent in 2010 — to 11.2 million — even though Wizarding World didn't open until halfway through the year. It soared 52 percent — to nearly 6.4 million — during the first half of 2011.

"Normally, you put a new attraction out and you're delighted if you get a 5 percent bump in attendance. Harry Potter came out and we were seeing 40 percent and 50 percent bumps, just a gigantic sea change in the profitability," NBCUniversal Chief Executive Officer Steve Burke said at a conference with analysts earlier this fall.

Perhaps even more impressive than the attendance gains has been the growth Universal has seen in sales of magic wands, butter beer and other Potter-related food and merchandise. Total revenue at the resort jumped 41 percent to more than $1.1 billion last year and is up 42 percent to just under $1.1 billion through the first nine months of this year.

John
12-06-2011, 03:37 PM
** Official Press Release **

HOGWARTS IS COMING TO HOLLYWOOD!

Warner Bros. and Universal Parks and Resorts to bring The Wizarding World of Harry Potter to Universal Studios Hollywood

Significant Expansion Also Planned for The Wizarding World of Harry Potter at Universal Orlando Resort

Hollywood, CA (Dec. 6, 2011) - Warner Bros. Entertainment and Universal Parks and Resorts today announced a partnership to bring The Wizarding World of Harry Potter – the enormously popular themed entertainment environment which debuted in Orlando in June 2010 – to Universal Studios Hollywood.

The two companies also announced their plans to significantly expand The Wizarding World of Harry Potter at Universal Orlando Resort.

The Wizarding World of Harry Potter at Universal Studios Hollywood will be as impressive as what has been created in Orlando – and is expected to transform tourism in Los Angeles for decades to come. It will be a fully immersive environment for the entire family that brings the stories of Harry Potter to life and is faithful to the visual landscape of the films, including a majestic Hogwarts castle to serve as the centerpiece of the themed environment. The Wizarding World of Harry Potter at Universal Studios Hollywood will be created with the same commitment to authenticity and the same level of talent and resources as its Orlando counterpart.

“I am delighted that The Wizarding World of Harry Potter has been so popular with fans since the opening in Orlando last year and I am sure that the teams at Universal and Warner Bros. will bring their expertise and attention to detail to Hollywood to make this new experience equally as exciting,” said J.K. Rowling.

The Wizarding World of Harry Potter at Universal Orlando Resort opened in June 2010 and immediately captured global attention. It is a spectacularly themed land that includes Hogwarts castle, Hogsmeade and multiple themed attractions. Specific details of its expansion will be announced over time.

“The announcement of our partnership with Universal to bring The Wizarding World of Harry Potter to Hollywood and expand what already exists in Orlando is probably the best holiday gift we could give to the legions of Harry Potter fans worldwide,” said Barry Meyer, Chairman & CEO, Warner Bros. “Everyone involved with these projects is committed to continuing the enchantment of J.K. Rowling’s masterful books as they were brought to life on screen in our eight films and dedicated to extending the magic of the experience for generations of fans to come.”

“This is an incredible moment for Universal Studios and the millions of guests who visit our theme parks,” said Ron Meyer, President & COO, Universal Studios. “The Harry Potter stories are some of the most powerful of our time and we are honored to expand our Orlando experience and bring The Wizarding World of Harry Potter to Hollywood, forever changing family tourism in Los Angeles.”

“The Wizarding World of Harry Potter is an entirely new level of themed entertainment that brings the stories of Harry Potter to life in incredible ways,” said Tom Williams, Chairman and CEO, Universal Parks and Resorts. “We are thrilled to be able to share this experience with our guests in Hollywood. And we are thrilled to take what has been created in Orlando to even greater levels.”

x
12-06-2011, 06:19 PM
The idea of expanding Wizarding World to Universal Studios sounds pretty ambitious but I hope it's true. It sure would go a long way to balancing out the parks a little.

Extra points if the Hogwarts Express is running during Halloween Horror Nights!

Melanie
12-06-2011, 06:40 PM
It's Cast Member X! :faint:

I can't wait to hear more details on both projects. Anything to balance out the crowds in Orlando I am all for. I'm sure another attraction as good as or better than Forbidden Journey has to be in the works. Exciting times for Universal.

DizneyFreak2002
12-07-2011, 12:14 AM
It's Cast Member X! :faint:

I can't wait to hear more details on both projects. Anything to balance out the crowds in Orlando I am all for. I'm sure another attraction as good as or better than Forbidden Journey has to be in the works. Exciting times for Universal.

Well, if what I read elsewhere is accurate, the ride planned for USO's Potter expansion will blow the roof off Forbidden Journey, which, I think, if the best ride other than Spiderman I have ever been on!!!

buzznwoodysmom
12-07-2011, 04:57 PM
Well, if what I read elsewhere is accurate, the ride planned for USO's Potter expansion will blow the roof off Forbidden Journey, which, I think, if the best ride other than Spiderman I have ever been on!!!

Oh wow, if that is true then I can't wait to visit again. My kids are "in love" with the current Potter Land. They will flip if something even better comes along. And I for one, can't imagine a ride better than Forbidden Journey. Disney really needs to add an attraction similar to this in one of the parks. My vote would be for AK. If the additions at Universal are to the other park it would be so cool if they could connect the two parks with the Hogwart's express.

DizneyFreak2002
12-07-2011, 10:16 PM
Oh wow, if that is true then I can't wait to visit again. My kids are "in love" with the current Potter Land. They will flip if something even better comes along. And I for one, can't imagine a ride better than Forbidden Journey. Disney really needs to add an attraction similar to this in one of the parks. My vote would be for AK. If the additions at Universal are to the other park it would be so cool if they could connect the two parks with the Hogwart's express.

Yea, if it is true... The people who claim to "know" have already confirmed Potter is taking over Jaws and may even swallow up Fear Factor Live... Of course they cannot provide details, but they say it is even more impressive than Forbidden Journey... :)

badkitty
12-08-2011, 01:44 PM
Yea, if it is true... The people who claim to "know" have already confirmed Potter is taking over Jaws and may even swallow up Fear Factor Live... Of course they cannot provide details, but they say it is even more impressive than Forbidden Journey... :)

Okay, so it has been forever since I've been to Universal Hollywood but what is Jaws? I'll I remember is on the tour the shark coming out of a lake of sorts and pulling a man in a boat which makes "the dock" rock and then snapping at the tram as it passes. It is all outdoors...

NJGIRL
12-08-2011, 04:10 PM
This is exciting! This is one of the reasons I love Universal. :thumbsup:

DizneyFreak2002
12-12-2011, 07:11 PM
Okay, so it has been forever since I've been to Universal Hollywood but what is Jaws? I'll I remember is on the tour the shark coming out of a lake of sorts and pulling a man in a boat which makes "the dock" rock and then snapping at the tram as it passes. It is all outdoors...

Jaws was the ride where you sit in a tour boat and your skipper takes you on a tour of Amity, and of course, you encounter Jaws...

And I am also hearing that the Hogwarts Express from London, or more precisely platform 9 3/4 will be built taking people from London to Hogwarts and back... The train will be on an elevated track, no backstage areas will be visible, and you will need a two park pass to ride... I'm liking what Universal is doing more and more... :)

EeyoresBestFriend
12-16-2011, 12:47 PM

YAY! Getting rid of Fear Factor would be great ~ seemed to be such a huge waste of space! That was one of the few 'dud' ideas I've seen from Universal. . . :thumbsup:

DizneyFreak2002
12-16-2011, 03:50 PM
YAY! Getting rid of Fear Factor would be great ~ seemed to be such a huge waste of space! That was one of the few 'dud' ideas I've seen from Universal. . . :thumbsup:

Fear Factor is a waste of space... Just waiting for Universal to announce Fear Factor is closing... Only thing I heard was from these "in the know" people, and, well, we know how that can go... The only thing not a rumor is Jaws closing...

DizneyFreak2002
12-22-2011, 03:05 PM
Project 722... That is the name of the Jaws replacement project... Project 722...

Interesting bit of information: Google Project 722 and Universal, and you can find the people involved in this project and their LinkedIn profiles... These people were involved in the original plans for Wizarding World of Harry Potter...

Also, a friend of mine, who I was discussing with this last night, told me to look at page 722 in Deathly Hallows... And what do I read?? Dumbledore telling Harry they are at... KING'S CROSSING.. which is rumored to be part of the Potter expansion on Jaws' former site...

Yes, I believe proof is coming fill circle that Potter is coming to USF on the land formerly knows as Amity and Jaws....

NJGIRL
12-22-2011, 07:13 PM
Wow, this is very interesting. While I love HP I would hate to see over kill. I don't want to go to Universal and see nothing but HP.

kakn7294
12-22-2011, 07:24 PM
I'd rather have Jaws. Just sayin'.

DVC2004
12-26-2011, 03:41 PM
Wow, this is very interesting. While I love HP I would hate to see over kill. I don't want to go to Universal and see nothing but HP.

Agreed. Nothing against HP, and it is a terrific ride, but we as a family aren't all that into HP. We don't really watch the movies or read the books. I would like to see a variety of creative attractions.

DizneyFreak2002
03-02-2012, 04:35 PM
Kepping this news in this thread since noting official has been announced but all sings point toward this: Universal has filed plans with the South Florida Water Management District for new construction on the former Jaws site... This filing contained detailed plans of several new building constructions which includes a large building (which I assume is Gringott's), the construction requirements for grading of the land, erosion control and utility tie-ins... The project is named 'Project 722'... A look at the people involved in project 722 are the same people involved with the original Wizarding World project and also people involved with the movies...

I took the map that has been filed and labeled what I think will be Gringott's show building, the facade for the bank and King's Cross...