PDA

View Full Version : Going "home" for the holidays-pre trip report

buzznwoodysmom
12-03-2011, 11:01 AM
So what started out as a conversation on a long road trip actually turned into one of my family's Disney dreams coming true. We've always wanted to wake up in WDW at Wilderness Lodge on Christmas morning, and this year its finally going to happen!

Cast:
Me-Denise 34
DH-Kevin 38
DS-Collin 11
DS-Landon 9

We are arriving in Orlando on the 18th and spending two nights at the Hard Rock Hotel at the Universal Resort. We've really enjoyed the Wizarding World of Harry Potter on our last two WDW trips so we've decided to bite the bullet and see all that Universal has to offer. We plan to spend the first night at City Walk, and the next day we'll do both Universal Parks. This shouldn't be too hard to accomplish with the Front of the Line Pass, or whatever its called. Plus the only thing my kids want to do in the Islands of Adventure Park is the Harry Potter section.

On the 20th we leave Universal behind and start our WDW leg of the trip. We are staying at Wilderness Lodge for 6 nights.

Day 1: After checking in and heading to Shades of Green for tickets we'll hit up Downtown Disney for lunch and shopping while we wait for the room to be ready. We'll settle in, decorate the room, complete with a 6 foot Christmas tree that we are bringing. We have the Fort Wilderness Sleigh ride booked, followed by our traditional first night dinner at Ohana's.

Day 2: Today we plan to visit MK. We have dinner booked at Liberty Tree Tavern.

Day 3: Today DH has a massage booked at WL, then if the weather is nice we might take a boat out on Bay Lake. Not sure what we'll do the rest of the day, but we do have an ADR at California Grill tonight.

Day 4: The plan is to head to Epcot today, we have ADR at Via Napoli for dinner.

Day 5: Today is Christmas Eve and we plan to spend most of the day at DHS. We have Sci Fi booked for lunch and we know we want to end our day at the Osborne lights. We plan to head back to WL early this evening. We want to spend the rest of the night cozied up in the lodge. Just a quiet evening hanging out near a fireplace! We don't have plans for dinner, but may grab a few apps and drinks from the lounge.

Day 6: Christmas Day!!!!! Ahhhh, I get to finally wake up on Christmas morning at WL. The kids will open thier gifts and we'll head to the Contemporary for the Catholic mass that's held there. We have breakfast ressies at Chef Mickey's and plan to head to AK for a few hours today. We have dinner planned for WCC, then we'll head back to one of the parks, probably MK (if its not closed to capacity), to end the night.

Day 7: We have breakfast booked at WCC this morning. We are supposed to be leaving to go home today, but we are notorious for staying an extra night. I have Cape May Cafe booked for dinner incase we stay. I really don't want to have to take down the tree and start packing up on Christmas day so if we do all the undecorating and packing on the following day we'll be leaving a bit late. Might as well just take our time getting everything packed up and spend one more night. If we stay we are thinking of checking out the "fork and screen" theater at DTD. We haven't seen the Muppets yet, so that's probably what we'll do. Just an extra day to linger!

We have hoppers so our plans are very flexible. If we feel any of the parks are too crowded we'll just hop to another park. The goal on this trip is to just enjoy being there for the holidays and being together as a family. We don't really care what we ride, what we can't do, we aren't going to let the crowds get us down.

CanadianWDWFan
12-03-2011, 11:32 AM
I hope you have a VERY Merry Christmas!

MizMissy
12-03-2011, 01:04 PM
Considering the crowds, it sounds like you have planned a fairly "restful" trip. I would love to see all the decorations around WDW during Christmas. Make sure you caught Jaws at Universal Studios since they announced it's closing in January.

I hope you and your family have a very Merry Christmas in the Happiest Place on Earth!

Melanie
12-03-2011, 01:10 PM
Great plans Denise! I can't wait to see if you get 'persuaded' to stay the extra night. Have a merry Disney trip! :santa3:

faline
12-03-2011, 01:57 PM
What a wonderful way to spend the Christmas holiday! Enjoy!

PrettyMinnie
12-03-2011, 03:03 PM
Your trip sounds wonderful! Full of Disney magic AND Christmas spirit! :santa3:

Enjoy and happy holidays!

MississippiDisneyFreak
12-03-2011, 05:26 PM
Have a great time, maybe we'll see you at the WL:)

Jennifer_and_Chris
12-05-2011, 09:24 AM
Sounds like an awesome Christmas! Great balance between parks and Christmas family time.

emerzmom
12-05-2011, 07:26 PM
What a wonderful memory for your family. I hope you have a Merry Magical Christmas!
:magic::magic::magic:
Julie

MinnieMommie
12-06-2011, 05:47 PM
Your trip sounds just wonderful! I can't wait to read your report. Someday I hope to be at Disney for Christmas and WL seems like a cozy place like home. I vote for staying the extra day. Hope that works out for you.

KylesMom
12-08-2011, 10:01 PM
Denise, you sure have some great plans set up. So happy that your dream of waking up at WL on Christmas morning is finally coming true! Since you already know about the hidden fireplaces, cozy up to one on Christmas Eve, enjoy your family - and make sure you come back & tell us everything! I know your family is going to have a blessed and Merry Christmas! Love, love LOVE the fact that you're taking a 6' tree to decorate with, btw. It will fit right in to the WL setting! :mickey:

Dsnygirl
12-09-2011, 04:01 AM
:santa3: I've been waiting for this pre-trippie!! :D I hope you and your family have a WONDERFUL time... you're doing almost exactly what we hope to do in two years, and I can't wait to hear how it goes!! I think you've got just the right outlook, and I hope it's as magical as you can imagine it being. And have fun with that tree!! :tree:

DisneyorBust
12-09-2011, 08:22 AM
Looks like you have a great Christmas planned! Hopefully, you'll have to stay another day! :D
Looking forward to your reports!

Katzateer
12-09-2011, 10:32 PM
Have a great time!!:thumbsup:

mouseketeer mom
12-10-2011, 06:08 PM
Denise, you're so silly. You know you're staying an extra day already, so just book it!!!
Your plans sound terrific. I wish you the magical trip of your dreams.!!!~~Lisa:cloud9:

Dopey's Girl
12-10-2011, 08:49 PM
Fun! I have always wanted to wake up in Walt Disney World Christmas day too! Im jealous!!

princessgirls
12-15-2011, 10:55 AM
Denise,

What an amazing trip you planned. I love all of your details, right down to the tree and mass on Christmas day.

Enjoy your Magical Christmas in the World!

Merry Christmas!

Julie:mickey:

buzznwoodysmom
12-15-2011, 02:19 PM
Here's an update on our extra night in WDW. I started looking at prices just to give myself an idea. WOW, is all I can say. The rates are through the roof. Not that I didn't totally expect it. Here is just a sample of what I found:
Values $185
Moderates over $300
WL over $500
Poly over $700
Grand Flo $768!!!!

And those were all standard view rooms, the cheapest at each resort. So we were thinking no way are we staying an extra night. Even the values that are relatively affordable for an extra night, but who wants to spend close to $200 on a value.

Well a good friend of mine came through for me. We are booked in a studio at Old Key West on her points for less than we would have paid for a value! So our extra night will happen after all!!!

The plan is to have an easy morning, switch hotels after breakfast, head to DTD for a movie, afternoon at the pool, and end our night with dinner at Cape May and a stroll around the lake taking in our last night in the "world" enjoying the holiday decorations.

Dsnygirl
12-28-2011, 01:48 AM
Denise, I know you're probably JUST back from your trip, so take your time answering... but a question...

You said room rates were through the roof for an extra night... that night would have been the 26th, right??

Didn't you pay the same rack rates for the 25th? Or did they go up during the time b/w when you booked your room and then thought to add on a night?

We'll be doing almost the same dates as you in 2013, so I'm just curious... I know (okay, no... I hope... ;)) to have an AP rate for the 21-24th, as for the past few years AP rates have gone through the 24th... and we know we're going to have to pay "rack rate" at WL for the 25th/26th. But when I was researching the trip, based on this year's prices, back in September, rack rate for WL was in the $400's, not over $500.

So... just wondering it Disney raised it's prices as the holidays got closer, or I was mistaken on the original prices...

I hope your trip was TERRIFIC... can't wait for your trip report!! :D

buzznwoodysmom
12-28-2011, 09:16 AM
Blythe,

Just got back last night and had a wonderful time. I'll try to get to trip reports next week, or may just wait till my kids go back to school.

We had the military room rate for our 6 nights at WL. Dec. 20-25. I think the 26th was blacked out with the military rates for that date. I guess I could have tried to add the night to our package, but I really didn't want another night of dining plan. You should be able to get some sort of discount for your stay.

MizMissy
12-28-2011, 09:43 AM
Glad you had a great trip. I sent you a PM (sorry it took me so long to see I had a message).