PDA

View Full Version : Jaws rumor

HackLaSalle
12-02-2011, 10:05 AM
:ill: rumor hitting twitter: jaws closing for good on jan 2 2012. Any insight?:mad:

DVC2004
12-02-2011, 10:15 AM
Noooo! I haven't heard but I hope it's not true. I know it's old but we always ride it and always enjoy it. IMHO, I wouldn't mind seeing E.T. go...but not Jaws! I was sad when King Kong went...but, I do love the Mummy. SO it was bittersweet.

HackLaSalle
12-02-2011, 11:56 AM
UOR confirms on facebook. Jaws is closing 1/2/12

DonaldsBFF
12-02-2011, 12:08 PM
any news on what will replace it?

wickedgin
12-02-2011, 01:14 PM
:eek:
I'm so glad we're going this month!
(I'm expecting to a proposal when Jaws pops out of the water. :D )

HackLaSalle
12-02-2011, 02:32 PM
Rumors persist more Potter possibly hogwarts express between US & IOA

DVC2004
12-02-2011, 02:57 PM
Boo!!! :mad::(

Melanie
12-02-2011, 06:27 PM
I'm glad we enjoyed it three or four times in the last year, but not so sad to see it go. Hopefully we can get over one more time before 2 January to enjoy. Excited to hear what's replacing it.

tundramom
12-02-2011, 10:00 PM
Confirmed on CNN...we saw it for the first and apparently last, time this year. My husband laughed, he said it was not at all what he expected. He described it as a bad Jungle Cruise.

NJGIRL
12-02-2011, 10:02 PM
I wonder what is replacing it???????
While it's not the most exciting ride I will miss it. It's a Universal classic for us. I love the Mummy but am still sad that King Kong is gone. It was a great ride. :(
But I also miss Back to the Future & Ghost Busters! lol

I feel that there is enough room at Universal Studios that attractions can be added without getting rid of the older classics.

WDWfanatic742
12-02-2011, 11:55 PM
It's classic but it being so maintenance heavy it's age was showing. I'm still more sad about BTTF being gone over Jaws.

I wonder what will happen with the general area surrounding it. With it being gone, I can't see Beetlejuice or Fear Factor (or the set seeing as it's seasonal) being there for too much longer. That would leave a TON of room with Disaster stuck in the middle...

Rumors persist more Potter possibly hogwarts express between US & IOA

Even with me being a huge Potter fan and liking the parks, I think that would be overkill...

John
12-03-2011, 08:05 AM
On January 2, 2012, one of Universal Studios' most iconic rides is heading out to sea for the last time. In order to make room for an exciting new attraction, Captain Jake's Amity Boat Tours is closing and we invite you to come celebrate with one final ride of JAWS®.

Come relive your favorite memories and get ready to scream as the Great White Shark takes its last bite.

NJGIRL
12-03-2011, 10:28 AM
I guess they aren't giving any clues to what they have in store for that section of the park. :confused:

Wolf
12-03-2011, 11:52 AM
This makes me so sad!!! Why can't people leave older things alone, does noone understand things can be sentimental??? :(

Tink1
12-03-2011, 01:10 PM
At least Universal sends attractions off with a bang.

They dont just shutter an attraction for years and then just close it. Announcing the closure so people have time to do one last ride through is a better idea.

When Kong closed, the send off party was a blast.

Nanc

DizneyFreak2002
12-03-2011, 07:11 PM
***coughcough DIAGON ALLEY coughcough***

Bethanymouse
12-03-2011, 08:34 PM
I read this today on a news site online.....I am soooooooooo disappointed:(

Kenny1113
12-04-2011, 07:44 AM
Glad we got to do it last month. My DSs are sooo disappointed to hear it is going to be gone.

jennbunn
12-04-2011, 07:32 PM
Got to ride it this past Feb on our trip. We liked it but are looking foward to see what is coming soon.

joanna71985
12-04-2011, 10:34 PM
I think it's silly if they put anything HP related in US (since everything is over at IOA). If anything, put the HP expansion over at Lost Continent.

Also, I hate that they are removing Jaws. It's a classic ride

Bucs300
12-05-2011, 02:26 PM
Well they've already said they plan to expand on the Harry Potter World with a Phase 2. From what I've been reading they might make the amity area the London version of Harry Potter with the entrance to Diagon Alley, which would include a Hogwarts Express train ride that goes between Universal and IOA. It sounds like something they would do, it would force everyone to either buy a 2 day pass to visit both parks or a 2 park pass. Either way they would be making more money out of it.

DizneyFreak2002
12-05-2011, 10:33 PM
I think it's silly if they put anything HP related in US (since everything is over at IOA). If anything, put the HP expansion over at Lost Continent.

Also, I hate that they are removing Jaws. It's a classic ride

Harry Potter in Universal isn't technically the expansion that everyone is talking about on the net... That will still happen... This new Harry Potter land has nothing to do with the Wizarding World... it will be London and an entrance into Diagon Alley with a Gringott's ride that is supposed to blow the roof off Forbidden Journey, if you believe what people in the know have to say...

DizneyFreak2002
12-05-2011, 10:35 PM
Well they've already said they plan to expand on the Harry Potter World with a Phase 2. From what I've been reading they might make the amity area the London version of Harry Potter with the entrance to Diagon Alley, which would include a Hogwarts Express train ride that goes between Universal and IOA. It sounds like something they would do, it would force everyone to either buy a 2 day pass to visit both parks or a 2 park pass. Either way they would be making more money out of it.

Yep, exactly what I heard... I am not sure of the hogwarts express though... Looking at maps, Jaws and Wizarding World are too far away and there is too much employee, hotel, and theme park infrastructure in the way... Unless they go underground with it and use the tunnel 3D technology they use in Kong out in Universal Studios Hollywood... then THAT I can see happening...

But, London and Diagon alley are pretty much the consensus.. Just waiting until January when we may get the announcement...

Aurora
12-06-2011, 01:10 AM
My husband laughed, he said it was not at all what he expected. He described it as a bad Jungle Cruise.

And that's saying something! :thumbsup:

Glad I got to ride it, but I won't miss it. I think it was a nice intro thrill ride for the little kiddies.

EeyoresBestFriend
12-16-2011, 01:01 PM
Was alittle bummed that it was down when we were there last time.

The time before was a hoot, because it broke down just before the end where the shark comes out. Our tour guide was trying valiantly to fill the gap with some chatter and when the shark came out of the water she shrieked and just about jumped overboard! Laughingly, she told us that it never comes out near the front of the boat so she did not expect it at all!

Good memories!

RIP Jaws . . . we will miss you! :grouphug:

DizneyFreak2002
02-16-2012, 03:12 PM
Trying to keep all the Jaws talk in one thread... Here is a slideshow of pictures from WESH's website...

http://www.wesh.com/slideshow/themeparks/30474478/detail.html

Mfarquar
02-22-2012, 01:57 PM
I have to say, looking at the demolition pictures from the past few days has made me sad. My husband and I have spent many fun, quiet moments in Amityville with a hot dog or ice cream, especially when we needed to sit down for a bit during HHN. It was a fun place to quietly watch all the crazy action around us and also check out the lake. We'll always have fond memories!

Very interested to see what they do with the train though. I agree, DisneyFreak2002 - all indications seem to point to the CA King Kong tunnel effect... There are a lot of sites out there with some great aerial pics they tried to match up with the permits. We'll see!

DizneyFreak2002
02-22-2012, 10:12 PM
The permits Universal filed for construction/demolition basically confirms the train station...

Mfarquar
02-23-2012, 09:41 AM
Agree! I still can't seem to visualize how it's going to work out, but I'm sure it will be awesome.

Haven't been on here in awhile - how'd you like Halloween Horror Nights this year?