PDA

View Full Version : Any helpful ideas? I suddenly feel like a newbie!

mom2morgan
11-28-2011, 02:37 PM
Last time we went was Christmas 2009. We've "suddenly" decided to go next September, and believe it or not, I'm feeling pressured! I usually spend MONTHS planning and reading before actually booking a trip, and this was fast because of the sudden free dining offer for Canadian Residents. We usually stay at POR but wanted to try new things. So I'm thinking of staying for a week at CBR, with a 10 day park hopper plus waterpark, and then finishing off with a couple days room only at AKL. Aside from that, I'm at a bit of a loss. Opinions on some of the things we'd thought of trying?
- Fantasmic dinner package (if so, where?)
- Aloha or Backyard BBQ??? (reviews not great)

And what else should we think about doing? We've only gone in December, so we've never done a water park and the kids and hubby are anxious to try at least one.

ElenitaB
11-28-2011, 06:18 PM
It might help to know how old your kids are... not being nosey, it would just create a better idea of what experiences would be better suited to them according to age.

faline
11-28-2011, 06:58 PM
I enjoy Hollywood Brown Derby at the Disney Studios. Haven't done the Backyard BBQ but wasn't overly impressed with the show at the Poly - perhaps only because I was comparing it with the older version which I liked much better.

mom2morgan
11-29-2011, 10:24 AM
It might help to know how old your kids are... not being nosey, it would just create a better idea of what experiences would be better suited to them according to age.

Yep - posted a lot of questions without enough info yesterday ;-) The kids are 18 and 14.

mydisneygirls
11-29-2011, 11:32 AM
I've been to the Backyard BBQ and I would say that your kids would be a little old for it. In my opinion, it is geared towards younger children. Have you been to the Hoop Dee Doo? That would be more for their age. Never been to Aloha but heard it's just okay. We went this past Sept and didn't have the Fantasmic dining package and got in the show no problem at all....even got front row seats.

Janmac
11-29-2011, 07:01 PM
Highly recommend Typhoon Lagoon for water park. Blizzard Beach has more over the top slides but there isn't much shade. After climbing all the way to the top of one of the more moderate slides I thought I was feeling my age until I overheard an older teenage boy talking about his "rubber legs". The slides may not be as extreme at TL but you can do a slide more times before your legs give out.

Typhoon Lagoon has way more shade, very important in September,- and has the roller coaster - just had a senior moment on the name - as well as the wave pool and the swim with the sharks thing. Our pre-teens and teens have loved the wave pool and shark swim.

Also, if you have the bucks and your teens are in reasonably good shape, the surfing lessons at Typhoon Lagoon were something special for two teens in our family - even with the getting up VERY early. Surf (pun intended :D ) for the info.

Also agree with a previous poster about Hoop De Doo Revue. We had teens, young adults, etc., when we did this. Everyone left with grins from ear to ear. Lots of corn but fun. And loud!

Aloha is okay but the action is somewhat removed, compared to HDDR. Much more high energy at HDDR.

Jan

LVT
12-09-2011, 11:55 PM
Waterparks are popular with mine 21/27. With the options on the tickets, the waterparks are affordable for multiple days. Sept. should be great for that. Mid-Summer is just too hot for me.
Fireworks do not have an age limit either.
Rollercoasters at 1am are awesome.

I (mom) find strong luggage carriers(sons) awesome too.