PDA

View Full Version : Real Time Trip Report - I'll try!

gokatgo
11-24-2011, 07:23 AM
I thought I'd try a real time trip report ala Jennifer and Chris. I enjoyed reading theirs so much!

Our trip starts today and includes:
Me - Kathee
DH - Steve
DD - Mimi, 9
DS - Ben, 8
DS- Sammy turning 5 on this trip

on the 27th we will be joined by:
DU - Richard
DA - Faye

My dad will be picking us up in an hour to take us to the San Diego airport. It's only about 5 minutes from our house. We have a quick flight to Los Angeles and then we can settle in for the flight all the way to Orlando. I've loaded my ipad with movies for the kids and got a 3 way splitter for the headphones so they are set!

I've got one bag about 8 pounds over the limit so I'm off to fix that.

So excited!!

Melanie
11-24-2011, 07:50 AM
Sounds great! Anxious to follow along. :mickey:

Dopey's Girl
11-24-2011, 09:40 AM
Fun! I love live reports!

gokatgo
11-24-2011, 10:41 AM
So much excitement already!! We arrived at the airport and found that our flight was delayed and we would not be able to make or connection. They wanted to fly us to new jersey and we would arrive 5 hours later than scheduled. All of you fellow planners can imagine how sad I was! We had dinner at boat weights and a carriage ride around Port Orleans all planned! In the midst of all this I realized I had left my wallet and all credit cards at home!! Fortunately we live REALLY close to the airport so my husband ran home to get it. He found the wallet but could not find the credit card thing. Meanwhile the united agent was searching and searching for flights. I felt like we were on the Amazing Race!! He finally found the credit card thing, it had fallen into a random purse!! We are so lucky he found it!! More later boarding now!

MississippiDisneyFreak
11-24-2011, 12:28 PM
Oh, that was a close call,glad it worked out:)

gokatgo
11-24-2011, 12:29 PM
We are in Los Angeles now with about 90 minutes before our flight. So right when DH got back to the airport, the agent had a couple of options for us to consider. Meanwhile, my wonderful dad, drove our car back to our house. He had woken up at 4:45 to take us to the airport- thanks dad!! So our options were to arrive at 9:30pm or to split up and 3 of us would arrive at 5:30 and two would arrive at 6:30. We took a family vote and decided to split up. There was a little controversy about who would travel with the iPad loaded with movies but the kids worked it out. The agent asked us to wait a minute and when she came back she said she worked with delta and that two passengers could get bumped to first class so there would be 5 seats for us. She even printed out our boarding passes and checked us in. She said its possible we could still get bumped but it looks good. We will know soon enough. This flight is supposed to get in at 6:30. This airline agent really went above and beyond, especially on Thanksgiving!! Today I am thankful for our United/Continental agent!! So next issue, we won't make our reservation for boatwrights. We also have a carriage ride around Port Orleans booked for 8:00, I think we can make it! I did online check in so that should go fast. I called to cancel Boatwrights but couldn't get a new reservation so i asked what was available at Downtown Disney. The had a 9:45 at raglan Road!! I've been debating for the past three weeks about changing our reservation because Raglan Roads Thanksgiving menu looks so good! Plus I really wanted to see Downtown Disney. At night with the holiday decorations. It will be really late for the kids but with the time change, it will be like we are eating at 6:45. So in the end, everything worked out. Hopefully my next post will be from WDW!!

wildernesslady
11-24-2011, 12:51 PM
Wow you have been on an adventure already and your trip just begun.

Happy Thanksgiving. Hope you arrive on time for your carriage ride.

Dopey's Girl
11-24-2011, 06:17 PM
Wow! That's quite the travel day so far! Nice to hear the airline worked so hard to help you out!!

faline
11-24-2011, 07:54 PM
Hope all has gone well with your flights and you are now at Disney!

gokatgo
11-24-2011, 07:59 PM
Just climbed on to our carriage at Port Orleans!

tinklover
11-24-2011, 08:03 PM
Wow, you have had a busy Day. Glad to see you made it and you are enjoying your Carriage ride. Can't wait to follow along and visit WDW Via your live reports.

faline
11-24-2011, 08:04 PM
Sounds like the flights worked out!! :thumbsup:

MinnieMommie
11-24-2011, 08:42 PM
What an exciting day! I'm glad you all arrived together safe and sound. Can't wait to hear about your dinner and night at DD. Happy Thanksgiving :mickey:

gokatgo
11-25-2011, 07:47 AM
I just woke up after our first night in Port Orleans. We went to bed at midnight and it's 7am now so everyone else is still asleep. Yesterday was exhausting but wonderful. Our magic really started when we boarded our Delta flight in LA the captain was getting on the plane right when we were so he invited the kids into the cockpit for about 5 minutes and shoes them all the controls then he gave them limitless wings. We had a super smooth flight. The kids sat together and watched Cars2 on my iPad. Then they napped and read. We arrived 15 minutes early at 6:15 and headed to Magical Express. It left within 5 minutes of us boarding. We arrived at Port Orleans about 7:25. I had done online check-in so everything was waiting. I love the lobby with the giant swinging fans and the bi prch facing the river. We had a preferred room and got building 15. I think 14 would be the best but we are close to everything which is great. We face the parking lot but since there is a walkway outside our window, we wont really have the blinds open much. Our room is rustic and cozy. DS Ben slept on the trundle. The bathroom area is spacious and has a curtain you can pull across to separate the dressing area. I have seen pictures of the refurbed rooms and they are really nice. By no means though would I consider this room to be dingy or old. I really like the corner windows and little table next to them. Once I get us organized, I can have my morning coffee there.
So once we checked in, we all changed into our orange and brown clothes in honor of thanksgiving. I had the all packed in a carry on so this was fast. We hustled out to the carriage in front of the marina at PoR and hopped in our carriage. Our horse, Doug did a great job of pulling us around. We went down to the French Quarter, circled around and came back. We had a blanket over us and it was a relaxing and peaceful way to see the resort. It did seem really quick though and didn't cover as much area as I thought it might. What really impresses my is that the driver knew when Doug needed to go to the bathroom so she had him step into the grass to go! After the carriage we went into the shop, we all love to look but didn't buy anything yet. I was looking for cough medicine for our youngest, he has a bad cough and sniffles, but so far he has been a trooper and just keeps plugging along. We will use the stroller for him for part of today so he can rest. While we were in the store, live music started at the River Roost Bar. It was a piano player singing Christmas carols. Everyone was singing along, it was one of those fun, unexpected moments. Next we headed down to the boat to take us to Downtown Disney. It was neat doing this at night, part of the river is really dark. We switched boats and headed to the pleasure island dick and walked over to Raglan Road. We were 15 minutes early but they got us right in. They probably thought the we're being nice by seating us in the back where it was quiet but we loved the band and the Irish dancers so we kept getting up to go over to watch. Great entertainment- I would live to come here with just DH. I ordered the Thanksgiving Dinner - it was delicious. I was really proud of the kids for ordering authentic items off the menu- fish and chips, shepards pie and sausages. I hope they will be adventurous on this trip! Mimi's shepards pie was beautifully presented but she was disappointed that it didn't have cheese on top which is how we make it at home. DH and I tried a couple Irish beers too, so nice to not worry about driving anywhere! We headed out to the Lego store and World of Disney before taking the boat back to the resort and going straight to bed. Our only Downtown Disney purchase was Perry the Platypus for Ben. Grandma and Grandpa gave each child $50 to spend on the trip and we will give them a little each day. They each have their own gift card with their money so the know when it's gone, it's gone. It makes shopping so enjoyable since I don't feel like they are constantly asking me to buy things.

I am off to the shower now. Everyone else is still snoozing but I am ready for our first full day of fun!!

gokatgo
11-25-2011, 07:51 AM
Please excuse typos and auto-fills!

gokatgo
11-25-2011, 01:51 PM
We headed out this morning about 9:00 and took a leisurely walk to French Quarter. We had breakfast in the food court. I was picturing beignets and coffee at an outdoor table. The food court was bustling so it wasnt the relaxing breakfast I was picturing and the beignets are so-so but the walk was beautiful. We walked out and caught a bus to DHS and then a boat to the Swan. We walked across the street and played mini golf at Fantasia Gardens. We hit it just right and had no wait there was a long wait just a little while later. The course was great - so many fun water features and music. I had really wanted to do this on our last trip but we didn't make it over. We walked back past the swan and over to the boardwalk. We are having lunch now at ESPN. Weather is perfect, warm but not hot. Some clouds. We will head back soon to POR, hope to make it to the pool in time for the pool party

faline
11-25-2011, 05:06 PM
Nice, relaxed start to your trip!

Dopey's Girl
11-25-2011, 05:53 PM
Sounds great so far!

gokatgo
11-25-2011, 08:07 PM
We made it to the pool about 3:30. Enough time for some fun and games. I really love the pool and the resort. It has such a nice relaxed feel with the water and big trees. The pool was wonderfully warm and DS Ben loved the water slide. Meanwhile, we knew that we needed to go to Downtown Disney to pick up our park passes we are staying room only right now but when we move to Wilderness Lodge on Sunday we will have a package with free dining. We found out that you can pick up your park passes up to three days early so DH said he would go for a run and go get them from Guest RElations at Downtown Disney I told him I didn't think there was a path all the way there but he insisted. He got as far as French Quarter and found out the only path was for the golf carts so he came back and we had a drink by the pool. Then he got in with the kids and I ran back to the room to change and get clothes for everyone. We were all in navy and white during the day but now we are in yellow and grey. We do coordinating outfits everyday. It makes it easy to find everyone and our pictures look great!

While at the room, I called Guest Relations to find out exactly what we needed to pick up our park passes. I came back to the pool with the clothes. Once everyone changed we went to the campfire to roast marshmallows. These little things are what makes Disney so special. The kids each roasted 6 or 7 marshmallows and then they played on the playground for a bit. I love how kids make friends so easily. The kids met some new friends on the playground and had a great time. We headed off Ol Man Island and over to the food court. Mmmm the make your own pasta station was awesome. Two servings of this could feed our family of 5 and would only cost $22. And it was so good. The Riverside food court seemed much nicer than the one at French Quarter. Since we aren't on the dining plan until Sunday, our food budget has been hard to stick to! We did get the refillable mugs today which we didn't do last time. I see all the posts about people re-using them and I have to admit that we will take them with us to Wilderness Lodge and use them when we move over there on Sunday. I feel a little guilty if I am breaking the rules but it is all part of the same stay. It is nice to have them for coffee and lemonade and to fill up with water. We don't really drink soda but there are a few other options. Tonight we are watching "tangled" under the stars while we have hot chocolate in ou mugs. DH is on his way to Downtown DIsney - by boat - to pick up our tickets. We are headed to Animal Kingdom in the morning and we hope to be there for the 8am opening!!

gokatgo
11-25-2011, 08:18 PM
I forgot to mention how much fun we had looking at the gingerbread displays at The Boardwalk and The Beach Club my two older kids also started their pin collections today we met acreally nice Cast Member at the beach Club that they traded with we also got a Hidden mickey guidebook and that has added a fun element to this trip it was fun being at the Beach Club. We have stayed there twice before and it really feels like home. I love everything about it - the theme, beach, location and pool are just perfect!

MinnieMommie
11-25-2011, 10:54 PM
You are getting so much in! Glad you got to see the Gingerbread displays at BW and BC. :mickey:

MississippiDisneyFreak
11-27-2011, 11:20 AM
Sounds great even without parks yet:mickey:

Jennifer_and_Chris
11-27-2011, 03:29 PM
What a wonderful time so far. I love doing live reports.... helps me to capture things I otherwise would forget. I'm so happy to have inspired you to do live reporting. I LOVE IT SO FAR! Can't wait to read along some more!