PDA

View Full Version : Maclaren Volo?

Stitch's Mommy
11-19-2011, 09:59 PM
It must be said... In my seven years of motherhood, I've made a series of bad choices when it comes to strollers. :blush:

I'm considering buying yet ANOTHER stroller before our upcoming January trip. Does anyone have a Maclaren Volo or other lightweight stroller they recommend for the parks?

I need a something sturdy that will accommodate a toddler comfortably. But it must fold compactly and be easily carried. And it must have handles high enough for my husband to push! Ha. Yeah... I've had some really bad strollers!

Appreciate any feedback - thanks!

Sam&Alex&Josh'sMOM
11-20-2011, 08:59 AM
we got a Maclaren Volo and loved it in september. It is nice and cool. The only thing we didnt like is it does not recline and when my yooungest fell asleep in it, he would be leaning forward. We also had a double jogger with us (3 kids 6 and under) so when he did fall asleep, we would trade and recline on of the seats in the jogger instead. Other than that it was great, and easy for my husband to carry on and off the busses with the jogger as well as it has the attachable strap. The handles are high. All three kids were able to ride in it easily (not at the same time) I menat different heights and weights

Janmac
11-20-2011, 03:27 PM
My sister bought a MacLaren Triumph for her granddaughter about 5 years ago for her first WDW trip. We all have been happy with it, but none of us are tall.

This stroller reclines some, folds up quickly and easily (with some practice :D ) and has a handy basket under the seat. We have talked about taking this stroller to WDW even if my sister's granddaughter doesn't need it, because we like stowing things in the basket and putting our sweaters on the handle.

This stroller had a recall because of kids' fingers being pinched when the stroller was folded up. We never had any problems with that but then my niece always made sure that her DD was not holding onto the stroller when she folded it. She did not feel it was neccessary to get the parts from MacLaren to "fix" the problem.

Jan

Jennifer_and_Chris
11-20-2011, 06:10 PM
We have purchased a Maclaren Volo for our trip last October. We loved it. We have had a different stroller every visit to WDW trying to find the "right" one. The Volo is the right one for us. I've had 2 different evenflos, a graco, a combi.... The volo is definately the best for our family.

I purchased 2 of them from a stroller store on ebay. At BRU, the stroller was about $120. I got the same stroller (just last season's pattern/color) for $59.99 w/ free shipping. The stroller that was recalled has Maclaren written down the side of the stroller. The one that is safe does not have the name on the side.

Once folded the stroller has a handle and my DH who had to carry 2 of them found it to be very, very convenient. They were easy to push and manover even one handed. I didn't notice how low the handles of every other stroller we had were until I pushed this stroller. I didn't find myself straining, nor did my husband. He even commented on how much higher the handles were.

Buy w/ confidence.

magicofdisney
11-20-2011, 06:16 PM
The Volo has pros and cons, as do most strollers. The biggest draw back for me was that it didn't recline. That was the biggest factor. Otherwise, I would have kept it, despite not having a cup holder either. It was super light weight and so easy to maneuver. It was nearly perfect. I ended up going with a Chicco branded stroller instead.

Ian
11-20-2011, 06:17 PM
Our Peg Perego Aria was by far the best stroller we ever owned. It was so great, we've kept it in waiting for one of our twins to use once they're big enough. DS has been out of it for like a year now, but it's still sitting in our garage waiting to go back into service.

I think it meets all your requirements, too. Great stroller! :thumbsup:

Georgesgirl1
11-20-2011, 09:24 PM
We bought a Graco Ipo for Disney trips. We looked at the Volo, but I was bothered that it didn't recline and I knew we would need that option for a long day at the park. The Ipo reclines, the handles are tall enough that my 6 foot tall DH can comfortably push it, and folds compactly and is fairly lightweight. It doesn't have much storage space (but what lightweight stroller does). It also has a cup holder which was a plus for us.

BrerGnat
11-21-2011, 08:59 AM
If you're going to look at Maclarens, look at the Truimph. It's a step up from the Volo, with a cushioned fabric seat, recline, and tilt-able sunshade.

We had a Triumph and a Quest Sport. Those were the last two strollers I bought (after having Graco, Combi, Chicco, and Sit n Stand types).

I handed the Quest Sport down to my sister who had a baby last year. She loves it and it's still going strong.

Our Triumph was retired about a year and a half ago, and covered MANY MANY miles at Disneyland and WDW over a few years. In my opinion, the Triumph is the perfect Disney park stroller. It's super lightweight, easily foldable, comfortable, easy to push for tall people and one handed, has a carry strap (an accessory I added on), and can easily fit on buses, trains, trams, monorails, etc.

Actually, I want to sell my Triumph. We have no use for it but I've had no luck selling it locally. It's a bit dirty/worn, but if you mainly want it for using at WDW, PM me if your'e interested! One bonus is that the hood is bright yellow/gold. It's SO easy to spot in the sea of strollers at the parks because no one else has this color (it's mostly navy, with a gold hood).

Janmac
11-23-2011, 01:21 PM
It's a bit dirty/worn, but if you mainly want it for using at WDW, PM me if your'e interested! One bonus is that the hood is bright yellow/gold. It's SO easy to spot in the sea of strollers at the parks because no one else has this color (it's mostly navy, with a gold hood).

My niece's stroller is lime green - also very easy to spot in the "sea". Before our 2010 trip we noticed the stroller was looking a bit tired. My niece unsnapped the hood - which was particularly dirty from folding - and other fabric parts of the stroller and we ran them through the washer and dryer. Looked amazing once snapped on again.

We did misplace the rain slicker thingy that came with the stroller. Darn the luck.

Jan

Jennifer_and_Chris
11-23-2011, 01:46 PM
Our Peg Perego Aria was by far the best stroller we ever owned. It was so great, we've kept it in waiting for one of our twins to use once they're big enough. DS has been out of it for like a year now, but it's still sitting in our garage waiting to go back into service.

I think it meets all your requirements, too. Great stroller! :thumbsup:

I totally forgot about our Peg Perego! We loved that thing ... We had the Peg Perego Pliko.

It was nice and cushy and had a step on the back for toddlers to jump on and hitch a ride. This was great for my girls at 2 years apart. When the older one got tired of walking, she jumped on for a ride while the younger one was sitting in the stroller. While we didn't take this stroller to Disney, it was a great stroller for the mall and the zoo. The stroller does fold like an umbrella stroller, has an infant bar and parent cup holder and handle when folded.

magicofdisney
11-23-2011, 09:53 PM
We did misplace the rain slicker thingy that came with the stroller. Darn the luck.

Jan
I misplaced the rain guard for my Chicco so I called the company. They replaced it for $5! Best $5 I ever invested into that stroller. :thumbsup:

FantasmicJ
11-25-2011, 01:16 PM
We have a MacLaren Triumph stroller that we absolutely love. It is lightweight, extremely easy to fold up and has high handles. I'm 6'4" and don't have to bend at all to push the stroller. It reclines but not a whole lot. The biggest drawback is the shade isn't very big so it doesn't have a whole lot of coverage.

We purchase a cup holder that attaches to the side for our toddler which is quite handy as well.

W24toISMdirect
11-25-2011, 03:29 PM
We bought a McLaren Volo specifically to go to Disney World. It's now been three times. EXCELLENT stroller, the perfact thing for a 2 to 4 year old. Sturdy and comfortable, yet very light and compact when folded up. Highly reccomended.

W24toISMdirect
11-25-2011, 03:33 PM
I totally forgot about our Peg Perego! We loved that thing ... We had the Peg Perego Pliko.

We're actually putting my daughter in one of these this time, but she's much smaller (10 months) than my son was the first time he went (3 years) so we needed something more than McLaran but still easy to get around and my dad scored on of these for at a second hand store at a steal.

Deffinately a great stroller, but WAY more expensive than the McLaren, also it's not bad at all in terms of portability but it's definately heavier and bulkier than the McLaren.

For a walking toddler, I'd go with the McLaren over the Peg, as someone who owns both.

diz_girl
12-02-2011, 12:51 PM
I'd recommend the Maclaren Triumph. It just made its second trip to WDW last month.

As a pp mentioned, it does recline a little, but my then 10 month-old was fine with it. He'd konk out with no problems. I'd recommend it over the Volo because the Volo has a mesh back, while the Triumph has a cushion back. Since you are going in January and live in Ohio, a solid back is better in cooler weather because it is insulating. If you were going in July, then the Volo would be a better choice. My favorite things about the Triumph are that you can steer it with one hand, you can fold it compactly and sling it over your shoulder with the strap, and it's narrow enough to take on the escalators at the CR without folding, so if my son was sleeping, I didn't need to take him out of the stroller to get on/off the monorail platform to get to our room.

princessamygrant
12-04-2011, 11:59 AM
I purchased the Maclaren Quest for my three year old when we went a few years ago. I too purchased it specifically for this trip. It does recline a little, has a rain guard which we did use and it kept him super dry, and has high handles (I'm 5'9") which I liked. We have it in green/black and it was easy to spot in the crowds. It has a strap that you can use to swing the stroller over your shoulder which is great if you have airline travel to do to and from WDW.

I purchased our stroller almost brand new on Craigslist (maybe $100) which I felt like was a good deal given how expensive they are brand new. It has held up well and I swore I would never go back to the "full size" stroller after this purchase.