PDA

View Full Version : Astros to American League

SandmanGStefani24
11-17-2011, 04:44 PM
Up until recently I had been a lifelong (and tortured) Astros fan. I followed them every year dispite every losing season and dispite trading every good player away the second they start doing too well. The final straw was the week when they traded away BOTH Micheal Bourn (who was leading the league in stolen bases) and Hunter Pence (who was a lanky hitting machine and sold plenty of jerserys). I have never seen a team more dedicated to losing in all of my life. Several All-Star teams could be fielded off of people the Astros have given up. :bang: After that happened I never watched them again. I hear they lost over 100 games, and were worst in baseball.

I still have hope that they will one day pull things together and start winning again, but now that I see they are moving to the AL I am less than optimistic. They couldn't even compete hardly in the NL Central and now they are going to a pretty tough AL West. I am not as big a baseball fan as some of you, I'm sure. So, was wondering if anyone had perspective or opinions on the move. Either way giving up any player who does well will not help their cause, that's for sure...

Stickey
11-22-2011, 12:19 PM
It looks like this move is being done to rebalance the leagues after Milwaukee was previosly moved from the AL to the NL. I preferred the two division format.

Unfortunately, the Astros have gone from a solid contender to the basement in the last few years. Trading both popular veterans and young talent is a poor strategy. The Pence trade
was an extremely foolish move. Improvements in the near future do not look likely, therefore the Astros will stay at the bottom, regardless of the league. I hope the new owner intends to aggressively rebuild this franchise.

The Astros did not really have rivalries in their current division. MLB is betting on an Astros-Rangers rivalry. The mediocrity throughout baseball can give any team a chance of a rapid turnaround. The Pirates were half-season wonders last year.

Scar
11-22-2011, 01:07 PM
The move makes sense to me, but I do feel for the fans. Thankfully, The Mets can never move. The DH could be one of the dumbest rules in sports.

They better now make a balanced schedule.

darthmacho
11-30-2011, 05:32 PM
While I would have liked to see the Brewers return to the AL, I think this change makes better sense in the long haul.

I don't care if they keep or get rid of DH, but I'm strongly in favor of one rule for AL and NL.

Melanie
11-30-2011, 05:34 PM
Weird. I obviously have issues with change. ;)

My husband will have issues with this. He's a Texan, and the Rangers have always been his AL team, and the Astros his NL team. I believe the Rangers will ultimately win out though. :)

Carol
12-01-2011, 07:41 AM
The DH could be one of the dumbest rules

Despise the DH. Totally changes the game of baseball. I do not follow the AL for that very reason. :down:

The Reservoir Dog
12-01-2011, 02:36 PM
Despise the DH. Totally changes the game of baseball. I do not follow the AL for that very reason. :down:

As a Brit (also an Astros fan) I have always been confused by this designated hitter.

So please help me on this one.

One league has a designated hitter instead of a pitcher batting?

If teams from different leagues play each other does one team have 9 batters and the other 9 but one has to be the pitcher?

Yes this does sound pretty dumb to me.

How does this affect The Astros by changing leagues?

Scar
12-01-2011, 03:14 PM
Yes, the American League designates a different hitter to hit for the pitcher. In the National League the pitcher hits for himself. The DH is usually an older player who can still hit well but not as good in the field anymore. Or just some guy who's a great hitter but can't field period.

In interleague play, the home team rules apply.

It is very dumb.

It won't really affect the Astros other than they will have to decide if a current player can fit the roll, or get someone else.

How the heck did you become an Astros fan?

Mogie
12-01-2011, 05:49 PM
Just another team for my Yanks to smack around. Bring em on!

The Reservoir Dog
12-02-2011, 05:16 PM
Yes, the American League designates a different hitter to hit for the pitcher. In the National League the pitcher hits for himself. The DH is usually an older player who can still hit well but not as good in the field anymore. Or just some guy who's a great hitter but can't field period.

In interleague play, the home team rules apply.

It is very dumb.

It won't really affect the Astros other than they will have to decide if a current player can fit the roll, or get someone else.

How the heck did you become an Astros fan?

I married a Houstonian and I've been to Minute Maid a few times. When I first went there it was during their World Series season so obviously they've been a disappointment since.
But I really enjoy going to a ball game.