PDA

View Full Version : The "Am I Really Doing This?" New York Meet

Jared
11-16-2011, 09:53 PM
After the last New York meet, I vowed I would never try to spearhead another. It's too stressful, too complicated -- and I wanted to pass the responsibility on to another brave (or is it crazy?) soul.

But a few friends from the boards started asking if there was another get-together in the works. I thought about it, built up the courage and decided to start a thread.

I propose we find a Saturday sometime between within the next month or two to meet for lunch. I can't promise anything special like a tour of the Times Square Disney Store this time. We want to keep it simple. But I can promise that if you come, there will be lots of food, drink and laughs.

Please respond to this thread if you would be interested in attending, and if possible, please propose a date.

Let's make it happen!

MinnieMommie
11-17-2011, 10:49 AM
You are brave organizing this again,,,and I am in if you select a date when I can attend. Very exciting!

This Saturday is too soon and the following is Thanksgiving weekend and not good for travel The next 2 Saturdays will work for me. They are 12/3 and 12/10. I can't make the following Saturday (12/17) as I will be out of state picking up one of my kids and leaving for WDW the next day.

After the 17th is Saturday 12/24 and 12/31....will not be able to make those dates.The following Saturday is DH's birthday (1/7) so can not make it then either but am free most Saturdays after that for a while with the exception of 2/4 (will be in DC).

So within the next 2 months the best dates for me are 12/3, 12/10, 1/14, 1/21.

princessgirls
11-28-2011, 12:01 PM
Jared!!!

I'm in if it's a date I can do!!!

I'm 25 minutes from the City with no traffic. Mid town is an easy ride for me.

Would love to catch up with a few Intercot friends!

Julie:mickey:

ElenitaB
12-05-2011, 09:19 PM
I'd like to come... I miss seeing everyone! I doubt that I could do more than just meeting you all for lunch. How about something low-key this time around? Say the new Earl of Sandwich on Sixth? It shouldn't be too crowded on a Saturday afternoon, right?

princessgirls
12-06-2011, 08:42 AM
After the holidays That whole area will be less crowded. I went in on Sunday and let me just say that it was CRAZY CROWDED!! We always go in the first Sunday in December to see the tree because the crowds in the past haven't been too out of control.
It was 60 degrees and people were OUT!! You could not MOVE!!! Places were so crowded.

Jared
12-06-2011, 11:48 AM
I'd like to come... I miss seeing everyone! I doubt that I could do more than just meeting you all for lunch. How about something low-key this time around? Say the new Earl of Sandwich on Sixth? It shouldn't be too crowded on a Saturday afternoon, right?
There really isn't any seating in that Earl of Sandwich, unfortunately. I'll be back to the thread in a few days with some ideas.

princessgirls
12-06-2011, 12:00 PM
The Brewery over on 43rd works for me. Their prices are not too bad for NYC, and the food is always good. It's casual too!

I think that is where you guys met last year.

Mackflava99
12-06-2011, 01:42 PM
I remember you saying that you would not do it again...
But it was alot of fun.
I would do my best to attend. December may be tough, but Jan/Feb are open

Bryan

mouseketeer mom
12-06-2011, 05:02 PM
I'm with Bryan, December would be tough. I'm up for it again though, and I don't care where we go, it's all good by me. :mickey:

wildernesslady
12-11-2011, 08:40 AM
Can anyone join in? I believe the Disney Fantasy will be making a stop at the NY port on its way to Port Canaveral. How about that day? I had already talked to my husband about wanting to go.

ElenitaB
12-16-2011, 08:46 PM
Wildernesslady, do you know when that is happening?

I agree with everyone... December is just too crazy. Early January doesn't work for me. How about later in January? Like Saturday the 21st? We've done a few meets at Heartland Brewery now... if we can't do Earl, how about another "almost Disney" restaurant... like Naples 45? It's located at the north entrance to Grand Central on 45th Street. If memory serves me, there's a smaller restaurant that's associated with Naples 45 right near it. Does anyone know where I'm talking about? (It's been a few years :blush: ).

What do you all think?

MinnieMommie
12-16-2011, 11:39 PM
1/21 is good for me right now. Naples 45 sounds good too. :mickey:

Jared
12-16-2011, 11:57 PM
1/21 is good for me right now. Naples 45 sounds good too. :mickey:
I'm on board. Naples 45 is essentially the New York outpost of Via Napoli!

MinnieMommie
12-17-2011, 12:09 AM
ok that makes 3..let's see who else can make 1/21 at Napoli 45

MinnieMommie
12-17-2011, 05:43 PM
Ok - I just spoke with Jared. Saturday, 1/21/12 is a definite date. Place and all else to be determined. Hope you can all make it! :mickey:

wildernesslady
12-18-2011, 12:02 PM
Ellen it was posted on the Cruise line forum a while ago. Ed said he would post when he had any info.

Have fun on the 21st. I will be fortunately leaving that day to head to Orlando. We board the Dream the next day.

Jared
12-20-2011, 09:36 PM
I like the Naples 45 idea, unless anyone has any objections.

JPL
12-21-2011, 09:28 PM
Will definitely try to make it this time I am currently getting ready to move so my schedule might get a bit dicey:(

Katzateer
12-29-2011, 07:01 PM
I would love to come if I am off work that day! I would get in at Penn Station around 11 and would have to leave by 5.

Jared
12-30-2011, 08:07 AM
I would love to come if I am off work that day! I would get in at Penn Station around 11 and would have to leave by 5.
That would work just fine. We'd probably meet in the early afternoon. :)

Katzateer
01-06-2012, 07:25 PM
I am not off work :( maybe the next one

Jared
01-17-2012, 12:49 PM
We are on for Saturday. More details to come. Please post on this thread or e-mail me if you plan to attend. Thanks!

MinnieMommie
01-17-2012, 05:34 PM
I be there Jared with DH and possible 2 more Look forward to reading the details. :mickey:

Jared
01-17-2012, 06:54 PM
I be there Jared with DH and possible 2 more Look forward to reading the details. :mickey:
I was thinking we have lunch at Ted's Montana Grill on 51st and 6th. It has a big menu, lots of tables and is relatively cheap for Midtown Manhattan standards. If it ends up being just you, me and Ellen, we'll still have a nice time, but anybody is welcome (and encouraged) to attend!

mouseketeer mom
01-18-2012, 11:16 AM
We are leaving for a week at WDW next week, and this weekend is filled with to do's. :(

Jared
01-19-2012, 12:51 PM
Well, the weather forecast is calling for some snow around the area, so we're going to postpone this meet. Weather permitting, the new plan is to do it Jan. 28. Please post if you can come!

mouseketeer mom
01-20-2012, 07:33 AM
I will be in Disney on the 28th!

MinnieMommie
01-22-2012, 12:32 PM
Well, the weather forecast is calling for some snow around the area, so we're going to postpone this meet. Weather permitting, the new plan is to do it Jan. 28. Please post if you can come!

Jared I am sorry but can not make the 28th and and am tied up the following few Saturdays. Will be in Boston the weekend of the 28th, then in DC and then in NYC but will not be able to Meet during that time. The earliest possible Saturday I can make is 2/25 and am not even sure about that. If there are a few people who are in agreement about certain dates then just go with it. I'll enjoy reading about the meet even if I can't attend this one. :mickey:

ElenitaB
01-22-2012, 02:52 PM
I will be in Disney on the 28th!
Lucky you! :thumbsup: Sad us! :( :freeze:

Anyone else? Bueller? Bueller?

TikiGoddess
03-03-2012, 03:27 PM
I just saw this thread today (3/3) -- been away from ICOT far too long. That silly thing called 'work' is taking up too much of my time and energy.

Anyway, if a meet gets going sometime this spring, let me know. I'm always up for an excuse to go to NYC.

Kathy

lindique
03-18-2012, 06:08 PM
I know several people wanted to have a meet this winter at the NYC Earl of Sandwich in midtown, which we couldn't do because of their lack of seating. Yesterday I went to the new Earl's Court, which is in downtown Manhattan, very close to the World Trade Center site. I'd like to suggest having our meet there.

The Earl's Court is actually a small food court which is run by the Earl of Sandwich. Besides the Earl, there is also a Soupman, Sushi Express, a fancy cupcake booth, a coffee bar, a shake bar, and cocktail place called Libations (which seemed to be closed while we were there). There is a ton of seating in a very nicely decorated area, which contains picnic-type tables and a lot of trees! You can see pictures on their website - just google Earl's Court NYC.

The place was practically empty when I was there, as it caters mostly to Wall Street crowds during the week. I spoke briefly to the manager, who said he would be glad to have our group there.

Anyway, this is just a suggestion, in case anyone would be interested in still having this meet.
Linda (lindique)

Jared
03-18-2012, 06:18 PM
I think this sounds like a fantastic option that we really should consider. I'd love to get a group there for a Saturday in April sometime.

Jared
03-19-2012, 04:50 PM
How does April 21 sound to everyone? I discussed this date last night with a couple people, and it seems to be the winner right now.

MinnieMommie
03-19-2012, 05:27 PM
Hey Jared - April 21st works well for me. Count me in. I'll be bring at least 2 others. I'm good with where ever the group decides to eat. :mickey:

TikiGoddess
03-20-2012, 06:04 PM
We may be able to come! It would be me and the girls (ages 7 and 9). Are we thinking lunch time?

Any ideas on what I could do with the girls downtown for the afternoon?

Kathy

Beach Club Babe
03-20-2012, 07:45 PM
Would love to come if I can.

Jared
03-20-2012, 09:08 PM
We may be able to come! It would be me and the girls (ages 7 and 9). Are we thinking lunch time?

Any ideas on what I could do with the girls downtown for the afternoon?

Kathy
I know there is some support to visit the new 9/11 memorial. I don't know how everybody feels about that, but a few people have told me they want to see it. I personally haven't been there, but I walk by it at least once a week, and I hear it is very well done.

There are museums in the area, and you can also get the boats to Ellis Island from down there. It's also close to the South Street Seaport and the famous J&R Music and Computer World store.

TikiGoddess
03-21-2012, 08:56 PM
I spoke too soon. We have a girl scout event that same day. Sorry we'll have to miss this one. Maybe this summer sometime?

Kathy