PDA

View Full Version : Shriners Hospital?

Janmac
11-16-2011, 09:56 AM
Does anyone have any recent experience, or know of anyone, with Shriners and what the payment situation is currently?

My cousin's son needs pharyngeal flap surgery. The information she is getting from the hospital seems to indicate that there may be charges to her insurance. Shriners is out of their network, so she's looking at something like a 50% co-pay.

They knew he was going to need more work but are somewhat off balance currently at the news from the medical team last week that it's time, already, for more surgery.

I've looked around on the internet and it looks as tho Shriners, while having to charge for some things, is still not charging for burns, spinal stuff and cleft palate related issues.

Thanks!

Jan

Itchy
11-16-2011, 10:53 AM
Although I am not a Shriner, I am a Mason. I am not sure on the charges for medical procedures other that as you stated there are some stituations that there are no charges.

My best suggestion would be to contact Shriner's Hospital and discuss your needs and insurance situation.

If you know someone that is a Shriner I would talk to them as well.

Hope this helps.:mickey:

Janmac
11-16-2011, 11:19 AM
Thanks for your info. DH is also a Mason. :thumbsup:

My cousin has been in contact with the Shriners Hospital, and her son has a team of people - surgeons, psychriatrist, etc., that meet with them.

However, the billing department is something else. My cousin will get a letter one day saying one thing and another letter on another day saying something different. She has had conflicting info regarding charges, co-pays and payments.

Was hoping that someone had some actual, recent experience as to what the charges really are?

Jan

Auntie B
11-16-2011, 02:48 PM
My son was a Shriner patient from about 2 years of age to 18. He was born with horrible club feet. He had corrective surgery at the age of 2 and then yearly check-ups after that. We are forever greatful to them for everything they did. The Shriners are an amazing organization and there is absolutely no cost to you for their services. Even if you have insurance, they do not charge you. This is something they do for children. They also provide hotel accomodations and will pay for the gas to get you there or transport you in one of their vans. They only ask that you let others know about their services and they accept donations. The first time we were approached I thought to myself, "there has to be a catch, this is just too good to be true". They are simply there to help children with disabilities and they are FANTASTIC!

MNNHFLTX
11-16-2011, 10:06 PM
That's a tough situation. I would recommend talking with a social worker, case manager or patient liason at the hospital as the next step. A lot of hospitals have patient liasons specifically related to billing issues. They may be able to give you more insight.

Janmac
11-17-2011, 01:45 PM
Thanks, Beth! I had forgotten about those folks. :blush: Will share that with my cousin. Her son was adopted from China at age 4, after some initial surgery there. He was, as she said,"beyond terrified" of doctors, so she has a lot on her plate, currently, without also wondering what exactly is covered.

Jan