PDA

View Full Version : The Not So Magical Moments from our October Trip

gregf71
11-15-2011, 02:43 PM
Just to recap from Part 1, my family and I enjoyed a week at WDW before taking a 4 night cruise on the Disney Dream. Below is a breakdown of the not so magical moments of our WDW visit:

The Not So Magical:

• Interesting moment…one our first day, while in line for Soarin’, watching the interaction between a woman who was trying to work her way through people in line to join her party up ahead in the queue and the man who refused to stand aside and let her pass. “You must be from the North,” she said with a distinctive southern accent. “I’m from New York, lady!” shouted the man as the woman eventually made her way by him.

• With a few exceptions, we had the worst luck when it came to timing the buses. It was my perception that the “buses come every 20 minutes” claim was very rarely met. Our wait time one evening outside of Downtown Disney was incredibly ridiculous. And too often did we stand there waiting while we watched multiple buses for other locations come and go. It would be great if Disney could institute some sort of GPS system with their buses and cameras in their waiting areas. They could see where the needs were at any given moment and route buses accordingly. Bus locations and expected arrival times could display on boards at the various wait areas informing guests so they are not sitting there getting increasingly hopeful and frustrated. Link that to an app for a Smart Phone and you have something real guest friendly! At the very least offer a means to contact a central station to report delays.

• Also related to the buses, why are there no direct buses from the theme parks to Downtown Disney? It was outrageous that it took us well over an hour to get from Hollywood Studios to Boardwalk to Downtown Disney. As a result, our Disney Quest visit was severely cut short.

• The “saga” of the light bulb, the bathroom floor and the bottle…on our first night at the Wilderness Lodge, a light bulb went out in our entry way. We called it in and asked them to take care of it the next day. When we came back from the park on the next day, we found the bulb replaced and a large cardboard box sitting in front of one of our beds. The box was for the new toilet that was installed in our bathroom that afternoon. The problem now was that the bathroom floor was a mess, covered in grout dust and all over the place were pieces, several of them sharp, of the original toilet grout. I called Guest Services and they sent a manager up immediately. He apologized for the inconvenience and pledged to resolve it right away. As we were in the process of getting dressed to go to La Nouba, we asked to have that work delayed a few hours. Ten minutes later, while still in some level of undress, there was a knock at the door and it was a cleaning person with spray bottle and rag in hand asking to clean the bathroom floor. I asked her to come back later and she agreed. After returning from La Nouba, we found the bathroom floor in a better state, but still unacceptable. It appeared that they simply sprayed the floor with some liquid and pushed all of the dust and debris to the edges. Tired from our day’s adventures, we decided to cover the floor with a towel and deal with it for one night. After returning from the parks the next day, we entered the room and my daughter headed straight for the bathroom. The next thing I know, she had a large squirt bottle in her hand with blue liquid in it. It was the housekeeper’s cleaning fluid bottle and she was nowhere to be found. I immediately grabbed the bottle from my daughter, thankful that she did not think it was a big squirt gun for her to play with. I immediately went out into the hallway and found an abandoned housekeeping cart, placed the bottle on it, and then went to speak to the manager. Again, more apologies and promises that things would improve. The next day the floor was properly swept, cleaned, and safe to walk on yet again. Sigh.

• The mosquitos that attacked us one night on the boat from the Magic Kingdom to the Wilderness Lodge. After this experience, my daughter was afraid to get on the boat again. Luckily, when we did ride it again it was during the day and the little beasties were nowhere to be found.

• Worst Counter Service: Cosmic Ray’s at the Magic Kingdom. I wanted to dine here after reading many positive comments on the boards. My impression…the ordering bays were chaotic, the food was horrible, the seating was cheap and uncomfortable, the fixin’s bar was limited, and it was very noisy. Next time, we are going back to Pecos Bill’s.

• Worst Table Service Food: The All American Burger at the Sci-Fi Dine In Theater was just too much. Two bites in, I yanked the hot dogs and managed only to eat half of the remaining burger. Don’t get me wrong, I love hot dogs and burgers, but together in one burger was gross.

• Worst Buffet Dining Experience: Having to wait almost 30 minutes for a fresh made omelet at Crystal Palace. They really needed to staff two chefs at the griddle to move the line along. I missed several of my daughter’s character interactions because I was standing in that line. Come to think of it, that was probably the longest wait we had during our entire WDW trip, excluding the buses, but including attractions.

• Most Overhyped Character Meal: Cinderella’s Royal Table. I am glad that we finally got to experience it, but I really do not think that it was worth two dining credits and will probably not make the effort to go there again. It was nice that the dining plan included the photo package with Cinderella and the gratuity for our server, but I just didn’t feel that the overall experience was that impressive. The food was good, but not very memorable. The ambiance was neat, but nothing really set this experience apart from any other character meal. One thing that did strike me though was the lack of a group activity for the kids. At every other character meal, and I mean every one, there were moments when special music alerted kids to leave their tables and participate in some sort of group march, procession, song, dance, or game. There was one moment when we thought that was happening at CRT and we sent our daughter over to the closest princess. A few seconds later, the obviously irked Sleeping Beauty walked our daughter back over and said, in a not so magical tone, “I am with another table right now.” I realize that we made an apparent mistake, but it was an honest one. Verily, we respect the character interaction process and know that the rules at these meals are to ensure that everyone gets a chance to interact with the characters, but the cast member’s tone was unnecessary.

• While we loved having the Deluxe Dining Plan, we just felt like it was too much food. At every table service location you enjoy an appetizer, entrée, and dessert; at the counter service restaurants, an entrée and a dessert. And the serving sizes are not small. After three meals a day for several days, plus occasional snacks, we were just full. We found ourselves torn between wanting to get our money’s worth for the plan versus not wanting to be wasteful and feeling guilty for not eating everything we ordered. One thought that we had was altering the table service option to be an entrée and either an appetizer or dessert, and including gratuity.

• No Headless Horseman for our parade at Mickey’s Not So Scary Halloween Party. Understandably, it was probably due to the somewhat wet parade route at the time. Not a big deal at all, but I had been telling our daughter how cool it was during our last trip

Stay tuned for Parts 3 & 4 in the Disney Cruise Line forum, detailing our adventures on the Disney Dream! :cool:

MississippiDisneyFreak
11-15-2011, 03:20 PM
Uh most people from the south wouldn't have been rude enough to cut in line in the first place:blush: I hope that was your only issues with the WL we will be there in 32 days:mickey:

TinkerbellT421
11-15-2011, 03:49 PM
To the woman that said "You must be from North" is absolutely hurtful! Some people are just so rude!! UGH! Especially that I am from the North! But even if I wasnt I certainly would find that very hurtful.

Sorry for the hiccups along your trip. Im absolutely appalled by the bathroom toilet fiasco! I would have been absolutely livid, I find that unacceptable in every sense!

Out of curiosity did they inform you that they would be installing a new toilet in your room in the middle of your stay?

I wonder why they would make someone stay in that room if it needed a repair like that anyway. Why not do the repair THEN let someone stay there, just not show up in the middle of your stay? That would have really irked me! :(

Hopefully the good out-weighed the bad this trip!

Jennifer_and_Chris
11-15-2011, 03:52 PM
Thanks for the report!

My DH had the all american burger and he really liked it! I had 1 bite and I could hardly fit it in my mouth! But, I did think it was good.

:thumbsup:

SBETigg
11-15-2011, 04:03 PM
I believe that I have read there are no longer direct buses from Downtown Disney to theme parks and the reverse due to an abuse of parking issue. People would park at Downtown Disney and bus to the parks to avoid paying the parking fees at the parks, thus taking up valuable parking space at Downtown Disney. Not sure if this is true or just another one of those Disney myths I've read somewhere. Is parking free at Downtown Disney? I have no idea.

TinkerbellT421
11-15-2011, 04:08 PM
Is parking free at Downtown Disney? I have no idea.

Yes as of right now. So your speculation actually makes a lot of sense.

azcavalier
11-15-2011, 04:16 PM
Regarding the character interactions at character meals, you're right in that most character meals have some kind of music-based interaction at some point....*except* the Princess dinners. So, an honest mistake. They don't do it at Akershus, either.

Jennifer_and_Chris
11-15-2011, 04:38 PM
Regarding the character interactions at character meals, you're right in that most character meals have some kind of music-based interaction at some point....*except* the Princess dinners. So, an honest mistake. They don't do it at Akershus, either.

Actually, last year when we went to Akeshus for lunch with the princesses, they did have a parade with all the kids. My youngest followed Ariel the whole time... even after the parade was done! She followed Ariel through the backstage door and no one saw her because you couldn't see her in the poof of Ariels dress. I was trying to get to her but the see of kids going back to their tables were blocking me.

That was rather comical.

gregf71
11-15-2011, 04:50 PM
Actually, last year when we went to Akeshus for lunch with the princesses, they did have a parade with all the kids. My youngest followed Ariel the whole time... even after the parade was done! She followed Ariel through the backstage door and no one saw her because you couldn't see her in the poof of Ariels dress. I was trying to get to her but the see of kids going back to their tables were blocking me.

That was rather comical.

Yep, my daughter marched in the parade at Akershus too. CRT was the only one that did nothing like that.

gregf71
11-15-2011, 05:00 PM
Sorry for the hiccups along your trip. Im absolutely appalled by the bathroom toilet fiasco! I would have been absolutely livid, I find that unacceptable in every sense!

Out of curiosity did they inform you that they would be installing a new toilet in your room in the middle of your stay?

I wonder why they would make someone stay in that room if it needed a repair like that anyway. Why not do the repair THEN let someone stay there, just not show up in the middle of your stay? That would have really irked me! :(!

Nope, we didn't know that they were going to do that. The first toilet was running a bit, but it didn't bother us at all. We closed the bathroom door and it was not a problem. I guess it was their notion of being proactive, but the end result was not good to say the least. Point of fact, I was livid and actually surprised that neither of the managers I spoke to offered me anything to make things right. When we have run into issues at other (non-Disney) hotels or resorts, and less problematic issues at that, managers are often very keen to make amends in some fashion. Oh well. Future visits might be elsewhere on property. :)

faline
11-15-2011, 07:23 PM
I certainly hope there were some fun and positive moments during your trip!

micky95
11-16-2011, 08:06 AM
if i were you i would never go back again.disney will always have rude people ,crowded lines for busses , rides , food & food that you dont like.when i go i expect these things and take it with a grain of salt.the lack of bus service from downtown to the parks is to stop people from parking there to avoid the parking fee .i'm sorry for your overload of bad things but to me the worst day at disney is better than a good day at work anytime.:thumbsup:

KylesMom
11-16-2011, 08:58 AM
I'm sorry that you ran into some less than magical moments during your visit. We've stayed at WL for a number of years now, and while there have been a few maintenance issues, we have not encountered anything like you experienced. I am with you, though. If they are going to do maintenance such as replacing a toilet, they need to take that room out of rotation until repairs can be made without inconveniencing their guests.

As far as guest interaction with each other, we unfortunately see these types of situations frequently during our visits. Kind of hard to ignore the basic rudeness of some people, I know!

On the flip side, I hope that your time on the Dream was filled with Disney magic! Thanks for reporting! :mickey:

gregf71
11-16-2011, 11:53 AM
if i were you i would never go back again.disney will always have rude people ,crowded lines for busses , rides , food & food that you dont like.when i go i expect these things and take it with a grain of salt.the lack of bus service from downtown to the parks is to stop people from parking there to avoid the parking fee .i'm sorry for your overload of bad things but to me the worst day at disney is better than a good day at work anytime.:thumbsup:

Never go back again?! :noway: We will definitely be back and hopefully it will not take another 10 years for that to happen. Now that we have a family, perhaps spending the extra money for a higher end Deluxe Resort with more convenient transportation options will be in order.

Rude people...yep, they will always be there and you just have to deal with them. Thankfully, there were many more happy and pleasant people than rude ones.

To the points about the bus service to DTD from the theme parks....perhaps they could simply make it one way. Offer the service to DTD from the parks, but not from DTD to the parks.

And you are most definitely right....the worst day at Disney is often better than a normal day at work. :thumbsup:

PopPhan
11-16-2011, 02:26 PM
I feel your pain for the bus situation at Downtown Disney!! That is one place we avoid like the plague if we are making transfers between resorts and only visit on our last day, when we know we are not going to be strapped for time getting anywhere.

micky95
11-16-2011, 02:39 PM
i'm fortunate to live 5.5 hrs from the world and i do forget that some people have to go every few years where i'm going for my 5th trip this year.we stay on & off property on these trips & have discovered that deluxe resorts have some of the worst bus service of all.some do have boats or monorail service but the busses stop at more than one resort.my dw & i have left one deluxe to go to a park & have it stop at 4 other resorts.we always stay at POP which has to me the best bus service.they dont share with other resorts and most parks are 10 minutes away except MK.they now have park to park busses which we'll try this trip but what we have done in the past is take a bus to POP and catch another to our final destination.finally a friendly word of advice from one disney nut to another,try POP.its great with the themeing ,reasonably priced and you can go more often with the money you save.:thumbsup:

cfoshe
11-16-2011, 07:11 PM
I have found at Disney you can have a bad experance if you look for a bad experance. Now the toilet thing is unexcusible.

But off topic if I may, I have stayed at POP many times and have found the buses very good there. With the new animation resort opening so close to POP, will they start sharing busses? I hope not.