PDA

View Full Version : 4th of July

motherof4
11-15-2011, 11:09 AM
Has anyone ever been to disney world the week of July 4th? I heard it was very crowded I have been there in June and August but never in July and I was wondering how it was.

DizneyRox
11-15-2011, 11:20 AM
Yep, it's crowded! HOT too!

The only other time that compares would be XMas week and maybe Easter. We used to go every year around that time (there on the 4th), but sometimes before ending on shortly after the 4th, sometime extending until the middle of July.

The 4th is always the same...

Almost 100°, 99% humidity, afternoon shower and more people that you can possibly imagine! Really, you've never seen so many people.

BugeyedMuggy
11-15-2011, 12:36 PM
We don't mind the heat but the tour groups are a big pain. They want to ride the same ride in the entire group of 100 people at a time and there are so many of them. We will not go back in July next year for this reason.

TysMomTink
11-15-2011, 12:45 PM
The one and only time I was there around the 4th of July I came up for 2 days to visit some family who had come down from NJ. It was insanity. Heat, humidity aside there was literally no room in MK to negotiate through the crowds.I couldn't tell you about wait times because I don't think I got close enough to see. After maybe an hour and half I left and went back to POR, think we went to epcot later and it was better.

joonyer
11-15-2011, 01:02 PM
4th of July and New year's Eve. Historically the two most crowded dates at MK. We're talking the turnstiles being closed to admission when it reaches maximum capacity. Get there early if you want to get in.

Scott C
11-15-2011, 01:03 PM
We were there July 4th of '09. The fireworks were insane that night - but thats why we went to MK on the 4th. We actually were able to go on about 75% of the attractions that day. Yes it is busy - but if you go with that expectation - it will be fine.

Thanks
Scott C

vicster
11-15-2011, 03:02 PM
4th of July is horrible!!!!!!!!!!1

andmomlau
11-15-2011, 09:15 PM
One question...are you claustrophobic???? My husband and I got there on July 4th this past year...we were just staying for 2 nights on our way to friends' house. While the fireworks were absolutely amazing, I have NEVER been in such a crowd in my life. From the turnstiles to the castle, for the entire width of the street, it was absolutely packed...several hours BEFORE the fireworks!!! And the buses afterwards were backed up like nothing I've ever seen. Earlier in the day, we were in EPCOT and it wasn't bad at all.I guess everyone was at MK...a beautiful patriotic show in the American Theater...I am a lover of all things Disney...but to be honest, with small children, I don't think I would plan to be there on the
4th! The Cast Members at the gates were telling us that the only night that is worse is New Year's Eve...I'm sure others may disagree....it was a spectacular fireworks display, but I honestly found the mob a little scary!

wdwfansince75
11-15-2011, 09:58 PM
Over the years, we have been at WDW at least 4 times for July 4. Typically, we spent most of the day at EPCOT, avoiding the crowds at MK. Note that they usually do the 4th Fireworks on the 3rd as well... caught them on the 3rd one year, with a smaller (but still large) crowd at MK. Also note that for the 4th, watching them from either Poly or Contemporary is also great....even watched them one year from the top of the parking garage at SoG.
What our kids and grandkids reported one year is that there is a large crowd throughout MK most of the day...but most are there to share the experience, and view the parades, shows and fireworks...Most of the rides were no more crowded than usual for that time of year...

Transportation back to the resorts or parking lots is tough....but timing it right can have its own rewards..several of our kids and grandkids got to watch the whole show from the boat to the Poly...the CM stopped the boat, and let everyone watch the show...no one objected. The beach at the Poly really gets packed for the show...and the view is not as good from the TTC...although you can view most of the show from there..and you beat the crowd back to the cars in the MK parking lot. What you miss from the TTC is the music.

As for EPCOT, I found the 4th crowds smaller that the crowds there the rest of the week...and there was a patriotic show every couple of hours at the stage by the American Adventure....plus the regular AA show...and nothing says 4th of July like a hot dog and a Sam Adams...Or a burger and a Yuenglings, even if it is made with water from the Tampa Bay, rather than from the Schuylkill River.

motherof4
11-16-2011, 10:11 AM
thank you everyone for your opinion I think I will stick to August when its not as crowded